Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canterbury Cricket Ground Tree Blown Over

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's very sad, but good to see that they have been preparing for a replacement. I'm all for maintaining traditions and unusual features like this.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
could they make Stumps out of that tree or are stumps a special type of tree like Willow is to the bat?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
one of my claims to fame was that I, playing for Meopham Juniors against a canterbury Schools x1, I hit a ball into the tree at the Canterbury Ground.

Only got a 4 for it though

( I got a ton that day and 5 wickets and was given a really nice Gray Nicholls bat in recognition, which I left at school one day and had it nicked)

CrabtreeBHA said:
could they make Stumps out of that tree or are stumps a special type of tree like Willow is to the bat?

The're made from Ash except now some need to have a big hole in'em to accommodate TV cameras.

and the tree was dying or already dead, and Kent have already planted a replacement next door.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Having spent nearly 20 yrs within a stones throw from the tree this has darkened a magical BHA day.

They simply have to replant it.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
p.s. Thanks for your kind words everyone.I know that NSC Kent/Sussex cricket relations are often 'strained'. :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A bit of history disappears...a colleague at work was telling me earlier about a very amusing incident many years ago when some Northants fielder, running towards the boundary for a catch, ran full pelt into the aforementioned tree and KO'd himself.

You can't beat that for comedy, it's like watching Tom stand on a rake chasing Jerry.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great news. We should elect a short arsed bespectacled crook as chairman of Sussex, offer them the chance to ground share for 100 years while the new tree grows and then insist on them honouring the contract when after 2 years they decide to simply plant a fully mature one in it's place.

And with the proceeds, we'll have a test ground built. :clap2: :clap2:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
Great news.

Always stirring up trouble aren't you? This really is not the time or the place for your soulless cheap jibes.

This is for the tree:nono:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Storer68 said:
The're made from Ash except now some need to have a big hole in'em to accommodate TV cameras.

Not quite, exactly, the mini camera goes in the ground under the stump and points upwards. The stump is hollow to half way up and then using a mirror at 45 degrees (a kin to a periscope) the vision looks horzontal down the wicket.

Reason: 85mph ball would bust the camera, so its located out of harm's way - clever eh!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Can I please just mention the Nackington Road End? I think it's funny.

Certainly not!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
:lolol:

Thats it, shut down this thread, i sense it's going to become abusive and disrespectful.

*shudders at thought of day shift*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here