Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"can't be arsed to go to away games"?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Er, I think he said he's on it. I know messrs Meola and Wilko are game.

Yay, sounds like a veritable feast of awayday fun! Will give you a shout after Sat if that's ok with you (although we both know that I'll find a way of playing-with). Marvelous Motorway Scenes. :clap2:

DannyCPFC

May 21, 2011
I noticed this comment on another thread. Mentioned in reference to how great the AMEX is and therefore there is less need or desire to travel away.

I suspect that this may be the case but think some of the newer fans will perhaps make up for those dropping off?

Or is it just a financial issue?

Great fan

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Can understand why you'd pick home games now if you're on a budget as it's bloody awesome going to the Amex. That said, away days are a bit different, a day out, and I'll always do as many as I can get away with.

I've been booking away travel very early this year and been getting some massive bargains, like £8/9 quid return to Pompey, £14 to Bristol etc.

The only game we'll be booking early this year will be Middlesborough, all the rest can be done cheap enough with groupsave on the day.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
For a few seasons at Withdean I did prefer the away trips to home games, for all the reasons people have mentioned. Plus, getting away from the whingers too.

Having a superb home stadium doesn't put me off at all. Nothing like a trip up north and trying a few ales before the match.

Though, not being single anymore might make it a bit more tricky. More a case of picking out the good ones :)

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Living in Lincolnshire, I will going to 1 or 2 home games and 8 or 9 away games (Leicester, Peterborough, Hull, Leeds, Doncaster, Birmingham, Forest, Coventry, Derby and maybe Barnsley), however I am tempted to cut 2 away games in favour of one Home game as the prices after travel would be about the same for me :/

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Saying you don't need to bother because we've now got a decent home are missing the point, away days are a completely different - and regularly more enjoyable - experience. Granted, away days aren't for everyone, but those who never have and now don't think they need to are sorely missing out.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You will never get a true perspsective of your team unless you do some away games. How they cope under periods of more sustained pressure. Which players emerge as leaders, which tend to hide when the going gets tough. Fans who only ever attend home games get a disproportionate view of some players.
Then there is the banter, the camaraderie among familiar faces. What sort of trip did you have..where are you going pre-match. There is a sort of bonding at away games. You all look at each other in the away end and think...' we've made the effort, we're in this together and we are bloody well going to enjoy this, whatever '
There is more excitement when you set off for an away trip...less predictability....where to park, train connections etc...where are we going to sit.
And the buzz when you've pulled off a famous victory is , argubably more intense than at home.
You don't have to do it all the time...just enough to get a balanced perspective. I shall do 10-12 this season and look forward to all of them ( Pompey so far....v enjoyable )
To those homers, I say gave it a go...get a feel for it...if you don't like it stick to the Amex...but you'll never know unless you try.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Nothing like a good away trip. It's about much more than just a game of football. The satisfaction of winning at someone else's ground is so much more than when you win a home game.

If you've never been to one do yourself a favour and get bristol sorted now......

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I used to go to loads of away games in the 70's 3rd division days when there were sometimes just half a dozen of us at places like Preston, Torquay, Stockport, Bury and Southport. Of course you just walked up to the turnstile and paid your entrance fee. Great days and full of pride as you travelled home on the train with the players. Eddie Spearritt and Norman Gall were always quite happy to chat with you. I recently thought it it would be nice to go away again but got bogged down in Blue, White memberships etc. Came to the conclusion I wasn't allowed so gave up.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Love the atmosphere of away games, especially going against a big team. Palace, west ham and Blackpool are the games I want to go to.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You will never get a true perspsective of your team unless you do some away games. How they cope under periods of more sustained pressure. Which players emerge as leaders, which tend to hide when the going gets tough. Fans who only ever attend home games get a disproportionate view of some players.
Then there is the banter, the camaraderie among familiar faces. What sort of trip did you have..where are you going pre-match. There is a sort of bonding at away games. You all look at each other in the away end and think...' we've made the effort, we're in this together and we are bloody well going to enjoy this, whatever '
There is more excitement when you set off for an away trip...less predictability....where to park, train connections etc...where are we going to sit.
And the buzz when you've pulled off a famous victory is , argubably more intense than at home.
You don't have to do it all the time...just enough to get a balanced perspective. I shall do 10-12 this season and look forward to all of them ( Pompey so far....v enjoyable )
To those homers, I say gave it a go...get a feel for it...if you don't like it stick to the Amex...but you'll never know unless you try.

Good post..Personally I'd prefer to have an away ST...The camaraderie of away days really gets the adrenalin buzzing..I love it.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Before I became disabled, I used to love going away, it was probably more exciting than home games. At one point I was going home and away every match for four seasons on the bounce. I am not saying my disability precludes me from going now, but sadly financially I really can't afford to. I'd like to do some away games this season, and may offer a car share to help with the costs. It's not the price of a ticket so much as the petrol there and back.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Prefer atmosphere at away games and always gone to more than I have home match in a season. That said this time the ratio is more likely to be about 5 home and a couple away purely because the Amex is brand spanking new and 'feels a little like going away still'.

Next season I imagine my status quo will be renewed....... or I'll be able to afford a season ticket and have 0 pennies to travel away :O

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Decent away games are fantastic. When we were at Withdean I would do around 10 away games a year and probably 5 homes. Now we have the Amex I'll be doing virtually every home game, so can probably only make 5 aways. I would have thought a lot of people were in this situation, but then all the new / returning fans should make up for the shortfall, meaning the away support should stay more or less the same.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Living in Lincolnshire, I will going to 1 or 2 home games and 8 or 9 away games (Leicester, Peterborough, Hull, Leeds, Doncaster, Birmingham, Forest, Coventry, Derby and maybe Barnsley), however I am tempted to cut 2 away games in favour of one Home game as the prices after travel would be about the same for me :/

Ditto, usually manage to afford 4 - 6 games a year and with travel it is easier to go to away games from Cambridge.

I love away games and always try to go to grounds I've not been to before or grounds that are close. Quite often it will just happen to when we are visiting friends or family that a Brighton happens to be on. Cardiff was awesome and happened to be when we were visiting the in-laws.

I've only been to one Amex game - Spurs opening game and it seems easier to get tickets for the away games! I'll try to get to Amex more than Withdean but there's nothing quite like an away game experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here