Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can't afford Dean Marney.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree we need to progress, and we will continue to, but some people have been talking as if we have some divine right to go up, and anything other than promotion will be a failure. Considering the money spent over the last 5 years and wages we pay, that's nonsense.

Agreed...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
True

But is it actually really sniping or is it Gus telling everyone about the budget so we dont get silly prices quoted by other teams/agents/wage demands with Tonys blessing.

Anyway I must admit I thought the thread title was Daniel Marney and I thought well he was a bit rubbish.

I really, really hope the 'we can't afford Marney' nonsense is just a ploy... otherwise, we are not going to get the players in we need to meet Gus' ambitions...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Er, are you sure about that? From Tony's P.O.V. he has invested a LOT of money in our club... are you suggesting he has told Gus to keep banging on about lack of money? Personally, I don't think so... and, TBH, all it does is make Gus look a bit foolish, given our huge influx of new income, his spending on transfer fees, etc.

Yes, but do you not honestly thing Gus and TB have actually SPOKEN about his comments in the media about budget?

Of course they have! If Gus had been told by TB that it wasn't correct to do that then he certainly wouldn't have done it the 3 or 4 times after that!

If I was TB I would LOVE him downplaying my fortune. I dont want to spend £1m on a player when I could have got him for £800k.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really, really hope the 'we can't afford Marney' nonsense is just a ploy... otherwise, we are not going to get the players in we need to meet Gus' ambitions...

If we "can't afford Marney", how exactly did we get Vicente?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but do you not honestly thing Gus and TB have actually SPOKEN about his comments in the media about budget?

Of course they have! If Gus had been told by TB that it wasn't correct to do that then he certainly wouldn't have done it the 3 or 4 times after that!

If I was TB I would LOVE him downplaying my fortune. I dont want to spend £1m on a player when I could have got him for £800k.

That's true...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If we "can't afford Marney", how exactly did we get Vicente?

Again, I agree, which makes the repeated comments about budget from Gus just look a bit silly to me...

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Given that Burnley have had millions of pounds of parachute payments over the last couple of seasons I am guessing he is on over-inflated wages outside our pay structure.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I was told that Muzza' gets more,although not much more at Palace but what really swung the deal was a fairly high signing on fee....if that is true or not...I have'nt a clue...but it seems logical reason.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
But there is an underlying concern to this thread about the general level of wages in the championship, how competitive we are financially and how we're going to attract players with premiership experience to make us play off or promotion contenders. We will continue to struggle to compete financially with parachute payment clubs - its no co-incidence that 3 out of the 4 teams in the play-offs were relegated from the premiership last year - and there are a number of clubs in the division still benefiting from parachute payments (e.g. Reading, Middlesborough, Hull, Burnley, Leicester). On this basis, I think it's almost inevitable that we will be either shopping abroad or from the lower divisions this summer.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
But there is an underlying concern to this thread about the general level of wages in the championship, how competitive we are financially and how we're going to attract players with premiership experience to make us play off or promotion contenders. We will continue to struggle to compete financially with parachute payment clubs - its no co-incidence that 3 out of the 4 teams in the play-offs were relegated from the premiership last year - and there are a number of clubs in the division still benefiting from parachute payments (e.g. Reading, Middlesborough, Hull, Burnley, Leicester). On this basis, I think it's almost inevitable that we will be either shopping abroad or from the lower divisions this summer.
I think it is always going to be difficult to compete financially with clubs getting millions of pounds of parachute payments. Realistically I think it shows how very well we did this season and how much we over-achieved. Having said that the Amex income and FFP rules will benefit us and I expect we will be competing at the top end before too long - I don't think it will be immediate though and I hope that not many fans expect us to go straight up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here