Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can't afford Dean Marney.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
"Meanwhile, Albion will not be making a move for Dean Marney, despite reports linking them with the Burnley midfielder, as he is well out of their wage range." Argus

Does this bode well for the close season strengthening of the team?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Wage ranges have a bottom end as well as a top end!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
"Meanwhile, Albion will not be making a move for Dean Marney, despite reports linking them with the Burnley midfielder, as he is well out of their wage range." Argus

Does this bode well for the close season strengthening of the team?

Just because we can't afford x000 a week for Marney doesn't mean we cannot afford 2x000 a week for someone else. The bulk of the wage budget may already be allocated for other targets.

For instance, we may already have a deal agreed for player x for 15000 per week. This means 15kpw less in the pot for others.

Or Marney might be being more greedy than his worth compared to other similar players.

I wouldn't read anything into this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair, i imagine he was not seen as a PHENOMENAL signing, i.e a star striker or a vicente.

We probably could AFFORD his wage, just not JUSTIFY it, much like Glenn Murray with his ridiculous wage demand.

What we don't want to do is have the average wage of the squad fly up in a short space of time. It will make signing average players a lot harder as they will know they can demand 12k a week and will then make the star players even harder money-wise.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair, i imagine he was not seen as a PHENOMENAL signing, i.e a star striker or a vicente.

We probably could AFFORD his wage, just not JUSTIFY it, much like Glenn Murray with his ridiculous wage demand.

What we don't want to do is have the average wage of the squad fly up in a short space of time. It will make signing average players a lot harder as they will know they can demand 12k a week and will then make the star players even harder money-wise.
Spot on, I would imagine.

Lush

Mods' Pet

This. Also when the FFP rules kick in every club is going to have to watch their wage bill.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This. Also when the FFP rules kick in every club is going to have to watch their wage bill.
Or, shock horror, footballers will have to get real with their wage demands.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

What makes you think Murray's wage demands were ridiculous? He was our best player last season. He deserved a fairly well improved contract.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What makes you think Murray's wage demands were ridiculous? He was our best player last season. He deserved a fairly well improved contract.

Without disclosing figures, it was a very high demand which is fair enough. You have to try and push for the most you can.

I don't disagree in any way that a wage increase was due. He was excellent for us.

He was offered more money at Palace and he took it. I would have done the same. No grudge, just an example of not bulking at a wage demand of an average championship player. He's hardly set the world alight since so I'm glad we didn't panic and pay it.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Ridiculous was probably the wrong phrase I would guess. I would have said that we offered what Gus thought was his value but he got a better deal elsewhere. I can't imagine for one second Murray was asking for ridiculously high wages, but then I have no idea of what actually went on

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Without disclosing figures, it was a very high demand which is fair enough. You have to try and push for the most you can.

I don't disagree in any way that a wage increase was due. He was excellent for us.

He was offered more money at Palace and he took it. I would have done the same. No grudge, just an example of not bulking at a wage demand of an average championship player. He's hardly set the world alight since so I'm glad we didn't panic and pay it.

All noises out of Palace suggest he's nowhere near their highest earner there.

IMO with Murray we'd be in playoffs this season. He is exactly what we were missing up top.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
You may think my theory is nuts, but bear with me please.

It just so happens that Dean Marney was the first remotely possible 'target/prospect' for us this season, but in reality he is not a target at all. The club just wanted to use this as the first available opportunity to say "asking too much wages" to get a message to other clubs and agents that we do not have a bottomless pit of money for transfers or wages, thereby making all future approaches by agents offering us players more realistic and less frivolous time-wasting money-grabbers.

We sort of did this last season, we went out early to say we have a 'middle-third' of table budget and no more. Smart move, costs nothing to do, and gets a message out there.

Ok, now tell me that's a load of bull, I can take it!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
You may think my theory is nuts, but bear with me please.

It just so happens that Dean Marney was the first remotely possible 'target/prospect' for us this season, but in reality he is not a target at all. The club just wanted to use this as the first available opportunity to say "asking too much wages" to get a message to other clubs and agents that we do not have a bottomless pit of money for transfers or wages, thereby making all future approaches by agents offering us players more realistic and less frivolous time-wasting money-grabbers.

We sort of did this last season, we went out early to say we have a 'middle-third' of table budget and no more. Smart move, costs nothing to do, and gets a message out there.

Ok, now tell me that's a load of bull, I can take it!

Those were my thoughts too, so you weren't alone! The club could subtly release the info that he's beyond our price range to lower expectations of others.

However could this have the reverse effect and any major targets put off by seeing a lack of funds at the club?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Avergae Ipswich players at on 15k.

We cannot compete on wages, yet. We need to slowly grow. This may mean we don't go all out for the Premiership next season. Find by me as as long as we progress..

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
All noises out of Palace suggest he's nowhere near their highest earner there.

IMO with Murray we'd be in playoffs this season. He is exactly what we were missing up top.

Ah, but that's not to say he is necessarily on much more at Palace than he was here.

Perhaps his original demands ended all negotiations and he had to take the next best offer his agent could get him?

Plus, palace must be paying Ambrose silly monies.

Also on the above issue about sending out a message regarding our finances, i completely agree.

I remember a few years back Kevin Keegan BOASTING how much money he had one summer. He ended up being quoted prices TWICE as much as players were worth.

Play it down, even if it PANICS a few fans and makes Gus look like he's moaning about the funds. He's clearly not.

The people who write "tony bloom must hate gus saying how little money we have" are seriously deluded on this point. Bloom must LOVE IT. I wouldn't want my manager basically saying "Hey, it's ok, my chairmen has loads of WONGA, We can buy at any price!".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The people who write "tony bloom must hate gus saying how little money we have" are seriously deluded on this point. Bloom must LOVE IT. I wouldn't want my manager basically saying "Hey, it's ok, my chairmen has loads of WONGA, We can buy at any price!".

Completely agreed. The people who think that is evidence of Gus and Tony having a bad relationship, must be people who only think in black and white.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Play it down, even if it PANICS a few fans and makes Gus look like he's moaning about the funds. He's clearly not.

Has anyone really suggested Bloom must hate it?! I would be staggered if someone genuinely believed that

Avergae Ipswich players at on 15k.

I still can't get over that the average wage at Aston Villa is £47k

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Has anyone really suggested Bloom must hate it?! I would be staggered if someone genuinely believed that

Indeed they have. Someone the other day said "Gus keeps contradicting himself. He said we were mid table for finances, then he said lower half, How are we supposed to know?!". ummmmm WE'RE NOT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here