Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Candidates for an Albion Hall of Fame at Falmer

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If/when Falmer is approved, they should incorporate a Hall of Fame type thing at the stadium to provide a focal point, both on and off match days. Kind of like a museum, like they do a lot in the US. They could induct new candidates each year.

For starters how about

Alan Mullery
Peter Ward
Mark Lawrenson
Bobby Zamora
Micky Adams
Charlie Webb
Mike Bamber
Robbie Reinelt
The 1983 Cup Final team?

Who else would we nominate? They don't have to be players, just people who have made the club famous, or have contributed in a positive way to Albion history.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Martin Perry (For he has done a lot of work for Falmer)

Dick Knight

Krispies.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Am I the only one who doesn't hero worship Robbie Reinelt?

He scored, arguably, the most important goal in Albion's history, but I don't think it puts him in the same category as Peter Ward, Dick Knight or even Steve Gritt.

Stuart Storer scored the second most important goal in our history the week before, and no one mentions him - even though he put his heart and soul into the club for several years.

Would you worship Craig Maskell if he had scored the winner at Hereford?!?

The goal was important, but not the player IMO.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Reinelt wasn't much of a player, but what he did is, as you say, probably the most important goal any player scored for the club in the context of a single game. Therefore his name will forever be associated with that moment. I don't have a problem with that.

Plenty of people are only famous for a connection with a single triumphant event, however fleeting. Geoff Hurst wasn't a legendary goalscorer for England, and only got a run in Alf Ramsey's team because of Jimmy Greaves' injury but the 1966 World Cup will always be his moment of glory.

That's why, for me, Robbie would be in.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PS I did like Stuart Storer too, and there were a few unsung heroes in that team at Hereford- Mark Ormerod made a crucial late save, and I think it was John Humphreys and Ian Baird both worked their nuts off and made valuable contributions over the weeks that preceded Hereford.

I wasn't intending to write off the efforts of the other players!

Storer was THE MAN, probably our most important player of that final season. Him and McDonald banging all those crosses into the box were the main reason we stayed up, it was the ultimate 4-4-2 with two quick wingers and a targetman.

He would have to be in there if Reinelt was.

xx

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Reinelt just happened to be in the right place at the right time - scarcely a legend.

What about Tommy Cook, John Jackson, Johnny McNichol, Bobby Smith, Bert Stephens, Arthur Attwood, Adrian Thorne and Jimmy Langley?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Reinelt just happened to be in the right place at the right time - scarcely a legend.

What about Tommy Cook, John Jackson, Johnny McNichol, Bobby Smith, Bert Stephens, Arthur Attwood, Adrian Thorne and Jimmy Langley?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Storer would surely have a good case anyway, for scoring the final goal at the Goldstone.

The whole point of this is that it's highly subjective. There must be people from the 1960s and before that I haven't even thought of??

I just wanted to get people's opinions and see how many different names would be put forward.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ernest / FG, along with one of their "Falmer pipe dream" postings. In the main reception of the stadium. So they look stupid for ever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mark Lawrenson ? You are F*ing joking. He may have been our best ever player but he hasn't had a good word to say about this club since the day he left.

Jimmy Case for THAT goal at Highbury against Sheff Weds and for being the player he was. We'll just forget about his tenure as manager eh?

Paul Samrah and Ian Hart for having the balls and making the time to do what we all wished we could have done to help bring about the downfall of the three barstewards.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And a statue of Bellotti and Archer outside, accompanied by a sign stating "Pigeons/Seagulls Please Shit Here"

:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fairly anonymous with Brighton, but I would put Howard Wilkinson (last English manager to win the Premier league) in there.

Johnny McNichol
Peter Ward
Alan Mullery
Mike Bamber
Kit Napier (6 times leading goalscorer in a season - more than anyone in our history)
Glen Wilson (teaboy, captain, trainer, kit man, groundsman, and still going)
Bobby Zamora (only player to score 30 goals in a season twice - plus 10 consecutive matches, also a club record)

For longevity:
Ernie Wilson, Norman Gall, Peter O'Sullivan

The list could go on: but I would suggest limiting it to 25.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
chemical brother said:
I would also like to see David Coates ("in the playground taking notes") from the supporters club coaches in there, Trigger will know what I mean...

xx
He's got a beard, he's rather wierd...

:lolol:

Davey Coates = Albion Legend!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
Ernest / FG, along with one of their "Falmer pipe dream" postings. In the main reception of the stadium. So they look stupid for ever.

No, but you can have their names inset into a paving slab on the way to the stadium so that the fans can walk all over them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yorkie said:
No, but you can have their names inset into a paving slab on the way to the stadium so that the fans can walk all over them.
Or their names engraved in the urinals so the fans can......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here