Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you ever envisage Brighton...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Paying 1 million pounds for a player?

Well?

For mine the only way I could see us spending that much is if we made it to the Premiership.

I would have thought, if we became an established Championship club with gates of say 18k then our revenues would be such that we could probably afford million pound players. It seems now that clubs in that league pay these kinds of fees on a regular basis.

Or, being uber-negative, ultimately even at this level, inflation dictates that at some point within the next probably 30-50 years we will pay £1m for a player (although it would only be the equivalent of £300-500k today).

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Its all about investors, if we get a cash injection it could happen

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes we will on the rise to the premiership

Probably not for 5-7 years though

While it would be nice to dream a little i'd think even at the higher end of the Championship we'd still be only spending in the 100's of thousands rather than the millions.

Still a few 500k players would be cracking!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
While it would be nice to dream a little i'd think even at the higher end of the Championship we'd still be only spending in the 100's of thousands rather than the millions.

Still a few 500k players would be cracking!

When we are in the new stadium and gate receipts etc we WILL be pushing for the premiership and the only way to do it is to buy a better standard of player costing more

We won't get to the high end of the championship without spending a bit more

Unless we can sign some really good players on frees

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Perosnally I would rather that we made the premiership without having to pay that sort of money. No player is worth a transfer fee..... either football works on contracts like in all business with a penalty for not seeing out the contract or we just go back to being amateur.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have thought, if we became an established Championship club with gates of say 18k then our revenues would be such that we could probably afford million pound players. It seems now that clubs in that league pay these kinds of fees on a regular basis.

Agree with that. We would have to invest heavily at Championship level to make a push for the Prem. A Million doesn't but that much these days at that level.

At the very least we would need to buy One or Two players costing a Million

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
With inflation,perhaps.

It's amazing how much money is thrown about on players,though.

People talk glibly of spending £10m on him,or £18m on him.

I sort of relate it to my house.You could get 6 of my houses for the price of him,etc.etc.

Frightening,really.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
you would have to do very very well and be very very lucky to reach the premiership wqithout spending a million on at least one player

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Or, being uber-negative, ultimately even at this level, inflation dictates that at some point within the next probably 30-50 years we will pay £1m for a player (although it would only be the equivalent of £300-500k today).

Yep agreed.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
If the shifting power towards players from the clubs continues, the transfer fee may well be a thing of the past before we get to spend a million

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes, but, barring significant investment into the club, we'll have to wait for Falmer before it happens.

Spending £1m on bringing in a number of new players is probably a lot more realistic for now. And one could say that we've already begun that process.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
you would have to do very very well and be very very lucky to reach the premiership wqithout spending a million on at least one player

not so sure about luck , just needs a very shrewd business man and an exceptional scouting system for it to happen mind.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Why is it so important to spend a million pounds on a player?

Does it mean we get to join an elite club or something?

Nobody says it is that important, the question was simply can you see us spending that sort of money?

Having sold several for that sort of money it would be nice to think that one day we might be able to afford to buy a few!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here