Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we start the Olympics again please?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I agree that they did this, but only AFTER she had been through the heats and semi - so through the course of the day, expectations were being managed. The day before and the day before that though, they were hyping her up way too much.

hyping her overall maybe. she is hot fav for the 800. you obviously didn't realise that the 400 is her weaker event and just saw she won gold last time in both

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
- The rowing medals haven't started yet, which we can expect to do well at.

- Cycling wise, we've still got the mens and womens time trials where hopes are high, plus the entire Velodrome programme in which we MULLERED everyone last time around.

- As has been pointed out we're doing well in the horsey stuff.

All of that is before we even get onto the track and field bits with Dai Greene, Mo Farah, Phillips Idowu to name but three.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hyping her overall maybe. she is hot fav for the 800. you obviously didn't realise that the 400 is her weaker event and just saw she won gold last time in both
I didn't at the time, but obviously it has since been well publicised.

I think the trouble is that the BBC are behaving far too jingoistically as a rule. After the men's road race was run, the BBC correspondant rushed up to the winner and said "not the result Britain wanted to see but.." blah blah blah. It was cringeworthy and unsporting.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Part of the problem is the unrealistic expectation level. All the media and so called pundits looked at our performances in Beijing ( which, quite frankly, exceeded all hopes ) and added on another 25% this time round for home advantage.
I posted earlier that I would be more than happy if we matched our gold tally of 2008. There are no such thing as ' nailed-on bankers ' in the Olympics and in four years most sports move on apace. Look at the Aussie 4x100 freestylers last night...the dream team, the weapons of mass destruction, the best four Ian Thorpe had ever seen. That was a nailed on gold down-under. Where did they finish......4th!
Some of our ' bankers ' may not get gold. That means there has to be at least six ' surprise golds ' elsewhere...and I just can't see it...its too competitive.
I looked at the 5/6 bookies were offering for 22 golds or less and I didn't take it....I should have bitten their bloody hands off.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I didn't at the time, but obviously it has since been well publicised.

I think the trouble is that the BBC are behaving far too jingoistically as a rule. After the men's road race was run, the BBC correspondant rushed up to the winner and said "not the result Britain wanted to see but.." blah blah blah. It was cringeworthy and unsporting.

the winner of that race is a drugs cheat anyway which is pretty unsporting

think the bbc have done very well and people just need to calm down a bit

when they say medal chance it doesn't always mean it's expected

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Daley and the other bloke were 40/1, ranked 7th favourites (out of 8). 4th is over-achievement.

2 places up on their 2011 World Championship finish. The silver and bronze medalists from the 2011 WC finished 7th and 8th to put it into perspective. Daley and Waterfield were only ever considered an outside medal chance. There will be more expectation from Daley in the individual event as he is current European Champion, he comfortably beat the 2 Europeans who finished ahead of him in the 2011 WC, the yank and the chinese fella will be tough to beat though, but he's got a great shot at the bronze at least.

Adlington wasn't expected to medal in the 400m 4 years ago, so her getting the gold was a complete shock, getting bronze in the final this time when she was out in lane 8 is a great achievement.

The only medal that we expected but didn't get was Cavendish in the Road Race.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Doing pretty well in the men's gymnastics at the mo

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Gotta be honest, already bored with the festival of minority sports. We really are not very good. I know lot of you like it and fair play, I've tried to get in to it but I can't see the appeal personally.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here