Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we ban the use of the term 'legend' please?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Hungry Joe, a true poster of sensible views and comment, something oh so rare on NSC...you are well on the way to becoming a legend of the board.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Hungry Joe, a true poster of sensible views and comment, something oh so rare on NSC...you are well on the way to becoming a legend of the board.

I agree, I think he's amazing

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
I know banning certain words sounds a bit Orwellian but I really am getting f***ed off with every tom, dick and harry being called a legend. It's got to the point that it's about as meaningless as calling something 'amazing'.

A man after my own heart....continual use of the words ' great ' and ' legend ' just drive me mad. Calling Adams a legend and Murray a great player is ridiculous.
Can I humbly suggest a rating system that we all try to use.
1) Journeyman pro....good enough to be a pro and carries out his job with reasonable consistency but has obvious weaknesses that limit career progress
2)Good player......more consistent than journeyman and has ability to change or influence a game off his own back. Would expect to see him performing at or near highest level of the game. ( top two divisions )
3) Very good player....performing at highest level of game, an international and regularly changes or influences games.
4) Great player....very few of these...world stars...ability to win games off their own back and inspire team-mates to win trophies ( e.g Pele, Maradona, Best, Zindane etc...probably been less than 20 of these in football history )
5 ) Legend...could come from any of the above categories but through his performances, reputation or notoriety will be talked about at local, national or international level as long as the game is played.

On this basis, a lot of professional fotballers would come into the ' journeyman ' category.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
what is even worse is when people call them a "Ledge" :laugh:

Agreed, a ledge is somewhere that a pigeon perches and shits...if someone compared me to that I would feel somewhat insulted.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wonder how Fred Binney would be described today ?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Lumbering legend?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fred could spin on a dustbin lid and put it 10 yards over the bar from 3 yards out... I believe he was consuming 18% of the pies sold in Sussex at that time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A man after my own heart....continual use of the words ' great ' and ' legend ' just drive me mad. Calling Adams a legend and Murray a great player is ridiculous.
Can I humbly suggest a rating system that we all try to use.
1) Journeyman pro....good enough to be a pro and carries out his job with reasonable consistency but has obvious weaknesses that limit career progress
2)Good player......more consistent than journeyman and has ability to change or influence a game off his own back. Would expect to see him performing at or near highest level of the game. ( top two divisions )
3) Very good player....performing at highest level of game, an international and regularly changes or influences games.
4) Great player....very few of these...world stars...ability to win games off their own back and inspire team-mates to win trophies ( e.g Pele, Maradona, Best, Zindane etc...probably been less than 20 of these in football history )
5 ) Legend...could come from any of the above categories but through his performances, reputation or notoriety will be talked about at local, national or international level as long as the game is played.

On this basis, a lot of professional fotballers would come into the ' journeyman ' category.

What about 'The complete . **** category.......... such as Scott McGleish and the like.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fred could spin on a dustbin lid and put it 10 yards over the bar from 3 yards out... I believe he was consuming 18% of the pies sold in Sussex at that time.

He once drank 8 pints before a game in the Cliftonville and still scored a hat-trick in the first half...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here