Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone who lives in the

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hastings and Bexhill on sea area explain why the property is so cheap?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Alot of St. Leonards is still a bit ropey, but main reason I think is the incredibly high unemployment. There are next to no office / white collar jobs unless you want to work for the crap that is Hastings Direct, and when the area was a tourist location 100 years ago no industry was established. Anyone with a degree or degree of sense seems to move away and anyone with 3 kids by 3 different dads (2 probably in jail currently and the other her dealer) stay on. Harsh and extreme but with a chunk of truth. Crowds of kids on BMXs hanging on the streets drinking or shagging on the beach and seems to be a centre for drug rehab now with people sent down from London to a centre right in the shopping district which is a mecca for xtra strength larger types who need 10p to get home on the bus (it's about £3.20 to get anywhere so god knows).

I could buy a 3 bed house with garden in town for less than a 1 bed studio in Brighton / London. Old Town is nice but more expensive, as are few pockets but these are mainly full of commuters or are second homes for London Types.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's not the most desirable place to live and roads in and out are awful meaning that commuting from there is a nightmare.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Property there is incredibly cheap. When I looked a few months back, modern one bedroom flats were under 60k

Sep 1, 2010
I lived in St.Leonards for a few yrs and it is still stuck in the 70's IMO. The whole place has been poorly managed and under funded for yrs which is a shame because potentially it could be a beautiful and unique town.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Its a shithole, full of druggies and wasters. I feel sorry for the good people that still live there. Labour council f***ed it up years ago, by opening the floodgates for the northern scum to come down and live there.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The western end of Bexhill is ok. Well worth an investment.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It has a combination of retired people and chavs in a nutshell.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
thanks for your answers , looks like if we want to move to the area it would be better to give it a really good check.
here in Wales we live in a medium sized village where the only chavs live next door and if they were to move away I might just be able to convince wifey its not all that bad here

thanks again for your input

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Isn't the thread title: Can someone who lives in the ......

Most replies seem to be from people who don't. Bit like people who don't live in Brighton thinking that all Brightonians are gay.

Lived in Hastings over 10 years having moved here having spent most my life in Tonbridge / Tunbridge Wells.

So it doesn't compare to Brighton - no argument there. But there has been a lot of investment and improvements made since I've been here and I can honestly say that the only place that would tempt me away would be Brighton. Since I can't afford a place there, I'm happy to stay here.

I've never had any trouble while I've been here but would definitely recommend evenings out in the Old Town rather than the town centre - especially in the holiday season.

Check it out for yourself. There are obviously a fair few areas to avoid but also a fair few nice places to live. With property prices low, you might not do too badly, especially if the Hastings / Bexhill bypass does finally materialise.

Good luck!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Mount Road, Hastings, 4 bedroom town house - 4073836 - Zoopla

WHOA!!! 4bed semi £119,000!!!

In a few months I'll be a first time buyer with about £75,000 cash as a deposit and then a small mortage was going to try get a small studio in Brighton! Might re consider now, 2bed house and a nice car and no need for a mortgage! How bad is it really?

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
It is all about travel really. Hastings is probably similar distance to London as Brighton is from London. Yet the quickest train will take about 1 hour 40 minutes, compared to the service from Brighton which is less than an hour. The A21 is a none fast A road - while the A23 & M23 from Brighton are wide and fast. Open up the train or the road or both for quicker times and the prices would no doubt rise overnight.

It does look as though a lack of good forward/future planning over the past 20/30 years has not helped the area keep up with the rest of Sussex.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Just did the same search in property finder. £70K max and changed location to Brighton, One property came up....a BOAT!
Then repeated it but Hove this time..... a BEACH HUT

:(

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
It is all about travel really. Hastings is probably similar distance to London as Brighton is from London. Yet the quickest train will take about 1 hour 40 minutes, compared to the service from Brighton which is less than an hour. The A21 is a none fast A road - while the A23 & M23 from Brighton are wide and fast. Open up the train or the road or both for quicker times and the prices would no doubt rise overnight.

It does look as though a lack of good forward/future planning over the past 20/30 years has not helped the area keep up with the rest of Sussex.

Absolutely. I drive the A21 every day to work in T Wells. Not a great road.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Glas, if you are determined to get out of Wales and don't fancy the cost of moving back to Sussex, you can do a lot worse than living in the area where I currently reside. A fairly decent sized 3-bed semi in Gloucester would set you back around £160-170k in the current market, probably half the price or less than something comparable in Brighton.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
thanks for your answers , looks like if we want to move to the area it would be better to give it a really good check.
here in Wales we live in a medium sized village where the only chavs live next door and if they were to move away I might just be able to convince wifey its not all that bad here

Pick a decent area and where could you go wrong ? Everywhere has it's less desirable areas, there's quite a few around Brighton for a start. There's not much wrong with the area and the fact that it's a long commute to London is a big factor.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006

And you can join the A21 club for travel to the away games :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here