Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can London get the 2012 Qlympics?

Lammy said:
I agree that the Transport is not really an issue and London has to deal with millions of commuters everyday. I never had an issue with it when I was working there.

My issue is with a country that does not support sport (Brighton, Wimbledon, Wrexham...) and yet feels it is worthy to host the Olympics. I would like to see some of the 'billions' being invested in our domestic sport before it goes on Olympic bids.

What is going to happen to all the stuff they build after the olympics? look at Baralona.

Don't disagree with your sentiments here Lammy.

However, a lot of UK venues will benefit from the Olympics including:

Sport area's across the station as prepararation areas,
Football stadiums for the Football and preparation,
Wimbledon,
The various rowing venues,
the Hockey venues,
etc etc

Many will receive Olympic Investment and of course revenue.

After wards well that is the complete bollocks. We build a 80,000 stadium and its immediate resized down to 25,000?

:angry:

Why the w****** couldn't have linked the Arsenal and Wembley into this is beyond belief. And especially Wembley. A national footie stadium in the East End would have been sound.

Nevertheless the East End will be left with the best sport facitiies in the world. Many will be within 2 km of my house

:D

LC

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Give it to France. It is in the same time zone.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
MYOB said:
Had it twice. Won't get it again for a long, long time.

By that reckoning then Madrid (Barcelona 92), New York (LA 84, Atlanta 96) and Moscow (er, Moscow 80) are also out the running. I might be wrong – and I can't really be arsed to do any research – but I'm sure that the two times London has held it was to bail out the IOC at the last minute so we've never actually been awarded it on merit.
As a Londoner I would love us to get it – surely just stuffing one up the Frogs and the Yanks would be worth it. I even wouldn't mind paying a bit more council tax (as long as we get the discounted tickets as promised, of course).

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Every Olympics since LA 1984 (I think, may have been earlier than that) has returned a profit, so Londoners should not have to pay any extra tax.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
samparish said:
Every Olympics since LA 1984 (I think, may have been earlier than that) has returned a profit, so Londoners should not have to pay any extra tax.

im pretty sure that no olympics has returned a profit except for Sydney. Atlanta was a financial disaster.

i find the whole money side of the olympics appaling. they pitch it on the basis of all the investment it will bring - why cant that money be spent on those areas anyway? Why cant the government put together deals with companies to invest in deprived areas without the carrot of some 2 week sports events. It smacks of elitism, and on these ground im against the London bid.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
perseus said:
Give it to France. It is in the same time zone.

Well said. It will be easier to get to Paris, and probably cheaper too.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
London DOESN'T deal with millions of commuters every day....London just about get's away with it. The first wet leaf on a train track or a bit of rain or sub zero temperature and it all quickly grinds to a halt.

I suppose if we get rid of Tony and his clueless team there's a chance we might pull it off.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here