Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can i ask a genuine Question

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Its been bugging me for the past 24hours.

Do people really want us to carry on playing the football we play now, and not win games and not get promoted, rather than now and then play some ugly football? Im baffled by this as you dont get anywhere in this sport by losing, i support Brighton i love the way we pass it around and play some beautiful stuff, but i really do wish we would get Ugly from time to time, im not talking West Ham ugly but that said they have played some nice football this season also. But when they were in the prem under Zola they played attractive football, the Hammers fans loved it but they just by the skin of there teeth stayed up that season then the following they were relegated. Now im not saying that the same will happen to us, but i see striking resemblances tbh, they had no real goal threat at the time, and they seem to be doing what we are doing now trying to pass from the back every time, this is going to cost us alot of points as its dangerous football, we need to learn to hoof it from time to time, when we get under pressure in the box not pass it about, whack it up in there half then re group.

Tbh i want us to win games, yes i want us to play nice football, but i also wanna see 3 points on the board, i dont think we will go down this season at all think there are worst teams than us but were going to have to change our style or were really going to be in a scrap, sometimes you got to get Ugly.

:bhasign:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Already a thread on this

go down or get ugly

I agree i love the way we play, we went up playing that way last year. We aren't getting 'found out' as people say, we have just come up against better teams. We are starting to get on top of that now too. The domination of matches is starting again, I think we will end up top half and we'll have some great matches this coming season!

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Already a thread on this

go down or get ugly

I agree i love the way we play, we went up playing that way last year. We aren't getting 'found out' as people say, we have just come up against better teams. We are starting to get on top of that now too. The domination of matches is starting again, I think we will end up top half and we'll have some great matches this coming season!

Yeah i see that after i posted this thread must have been done as i was typing it. Hopefully a mod might merge it

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I think that we over achieved (pre season)by signing cms & then got too excited by early season results that took us to top of
the league only to find out that the teams we beat early on are the weakest teams in this division.

It maybe a coincidence but our poorest results at home have come when we have played against teams with a good away support.maybe this is because the fans are more interested in chanting against the opposing team than supporting the albion

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think that we over achieved (pre season)by signing cms & then got too excited by early season results that took us to top of
the league only to find out that the teams we beat early on are the weakest teams in this division.

It maybe a coincidence but our poorest results at home have come when we have played against teams with a good away support.maybe this is because the fans are more interested in chanting against the opposing team than supporting the albion

Eh?

Maybe its a case of the biggest teams bringing the biggest away support, therefore the games are harder against the big teams.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I am not talking about going down i think we will stay up like i stated, i do feel if we carry on playing like we are we could get in a relegation scrap, not that were playing overly poor football as were not as last night showed 65% of the ball, but we are sloppy at times we get to comfortable i think passing it along the back and were open to mistakes it was not just the once last night it happened atleast 3 times.

We are struggling to score goals also, and our form is relegation form, were 22nd in the form table for the past 8 games

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
were going to have to change our style or were really going to be in a scrap
I disagree and going by your user name, so should you.

It's not as simple as 'play ugly = win'. We don't play the way we do because Gus think's it's pretty, we do it because he thinks it works, and we won the title last year with a cheaper team than our rivals. This season is still early, and our team is still cheaper than several others.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We'll climb that form table as our form seems to be back after a dodgy few weeks.

When I heard the Liverpool cup draw, I thought 'oh sh1t' because I knew Liverpool Leeds and Palace were massive an I didnt think we had the strength in depth to tackle them. It got even worse when they moved the Liverpool game to the Wednesday. So I think that was our undoing, i think if we'd have played those fixtures in reverse, we would have beaten Palace and Leeds and then go beat against Liverpool. So as it was the other way around, we suffered. We then took a confidence knock and the players need to believe what they are doing and the way Gus wants them to play is the right way. Its all about belief, we clearly have quality, we'll go on another winning run very soon imo.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I disagree and going by your user name, so should you.

It's not as simple as 'play ugly = win'. We don't play the way we do because Gus think's it's pretty, we do it because he thinks it works, and we won the title last year with a cheaper team than our rivals. This season is still early, and our team is still cheaper than several others.

I love Gus i think his a great manager, but i also think things clearly are not working, im not saying play ugly to win, im saying sometimes ya got to get a big ugly to get results, not all the time but now and then ya have to change things. I think we have been sussed at the moment teams know how to play against us now.

I hope i get proved wrong, and i also dont think we will get relegated but i think we could be in a scrap if things dont get better

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Its been bugging me for the past 24hours.

Do people really want us to carry on playing the football we play now, and not win games and not get promoted, rather than now and then play some ugly football? Im baffled by this as you dont get anywhere in this sport by losing, i support Brighton i love the way we pass it around and play some beautiful stuff, but i really do wish we would get Ugly from time to time, im not talking West Ham ugly but that said they have played some nice football this season also. But when they were in the prem under Zola they played attractive football, the Hammers fans loved it but they just by the skin of there teeth stayed up that season then the following they were relegated. Now im not saying that the same will happen to us, but i see striking resemblances tbh, they had no real goal threat at the time, and they seem to be doing what we are doing now trying to pass from the back every time, this is going to cost us alot of points as its dangerous football, we need to learn to hoof it from time to time, when we get under pressure in the box not pass it about, whack it up in there half then re group.

Tbh i want us to win games, yes i want us to play nice football, but i also wanna see 3 points on the board, i dont think we will go down this season at all think there are worst teams than us but were going to have to change our style or were really going to be in a scrap, sometimes you got to get Ugly.

:bhasign:

To be honest I don't think we have a major problem at all at the moment, Gus has got the team playing very attractive football with balls to feet and lots of passing, but it is still "work in progress". I think we are not far off from where Gus wants us to be ie.. a team that can keep possesion and play around the opposition and not give them a chance to attack, He just needs a few tweaks to the speed of our play/passing and maybe a bit more support for CMS up front. We completely controlled the game against West Ham, yes it was one error that cost us the goal but they came to play deep and hit us if we made a mistake which is what happened. I would much rather us play this way than to revert to just "lumping the ball upfield or out of play because all that does is invite the opposition to put you under even more pressure. Keep the faith I am convinced that Gus knows exactly what he's doing... consolidation poss mid table this season, then maybe some new signings in the summer with a proper push for promotion next season with a team that has a realistic chance of staying up.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I like the style of football we play but we must be able to mix it up as well. Many times we have had chance to hit teams on the counter and our slow deliberate sideways, backwards passing games has led to a chance missed. We must pass the ball quicker if we are to be affective at this level.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
See what i mean by the odd bit of ugly football is the odd lump it upfield to relief pressure, we did control the Hammers game but we could have played for 3 more days and still not scored, the issue for me is the passing it about in defence, yes we should do this more often than not, but now and then we need to just clear the lines, not so much for Nolan's goal that seemed an error, but we could have easily lost 2-0 but faubert spooned his shot and was headed over, its the passing it about at the back in pressure thats worrying me i think it will cost us goals

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
See what i mean by the odd bit of ugly football is the odd lump it upfield to relief pressure, we did control the Hammers game but we could have played for 3 more days and still not scored, the issue for me is the passing it about in defence, yes we should do this more often than not, but now and then we need to just clear the lines, not so much for Nolan's goal that seemed an error, but we could have easily lost 2-0 but faubert spooned his shot and was headed over, its the passing it about at the back in pressure thats worrying me i think it will cost us goals

But lumping it upfield does not relieve presurre, this is the point. It just comes straight back again, especially against a team like West Ham. The passing around the back isn't just for the hell of it you know, it's about finding space to allow us to go forward and create chances, attacking from the back.

And for the 9 millionth time, IT SEEMS TO WORK OK FOR SPAIN AND BARCELONA DOESN'T IT?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
But lumping it upfield does not relieve presurre, this is the point. It just comes straight back again, especially against a team like West Ham. The passing around the back isn't just for the hell of it you know, it's about finding space to allow us to go forward and create chances, attacking from the back.

And for the 9 millionth time, IT SEEMS TO WORK OK FOR SPAIN AND BARCELONA DOESN'T IT?

:facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I love Gus i think his a great manager, but i also think things clearly are not working
It's not as simple as that. A bad run of results doesn't mean we need to change the style of play that got us here. Gus believes our loss of form is partly due to a few players not being of (top end of) championship quality, and most people agree with him. If they're not championship quality, suddenly playing ugly won't fix that. Of course if a particular game looks like it would benefit from some direct football then you go with it, but our team has been built around passing, and won't actually be very good (read will be rubbish) at playing ugly. We got into good positions against west ham, we just had plenty of poor final balls, particularly from Noone (who again had a decent game, save the final ball).

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We'll climb that form table as our form seems to be back after a dodgy few weeks.

When I heard the Liverpool cup draw, I thought 'oh sh1t' because I knew Liverpool Leeds and Palace were massive an I didnt think we had the strength in depth to tackle them. It got even worse when they moved the Liverpool game to the Wednesday. So I think that was our undoing, i think if we'd have played those fixtures in reverse, we would have beaten Palace and Leeds and then go beat against Liverpool. So as it was the other way around, we suffered. We then took a confidence knock and the players need to believe what they are doing and the way Gus wants them to play is the right way. Its all about belief, we clearly have quality, we'll go on another winning run very soon imo.

Saints dropped 10 & lost last night, we should have done the same & lost against Sunderland, we dropped half the team in the cup/JPT last year and played too many games coinciding with our poor run of form & lesson was not learnt..noone & Navarro jumping up & down re the irrelevant game summed it all up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here