Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign against Lewes District Council's £134,000 spending on the Public Inquiry

Do YOU live in the LEWES District?

• Yes

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • No but I will help with the cause

Votes: 46 80.7%

• Total voters

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Do YOU live in the Lewes District?

Serious votes ONLY Please, this is to get a rough idea of how many NSC viewers/readers live in the Lewes District (which also includes Ringmer, Seaford, Newhaven, Peacehaven and Telscombe Cliffs, see map below) and have to pay £3.62 towards the Anti-Stadium lot.
Thanks

See this thread for "The Cause": http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35252

Lewes District:
lewdis.jpg

Last edited:

I'm not sure if there is any point in trying to engage Lewes District Council in any debate about the Falmer planning application.

Take a look at this response I got from Liberal Democrat Councillor Robert Brown:-

I am grateful to you for your comments, which obviously spring from a deep commitment to Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

As a fellow football supporter, though not for Albion, I can sympathise with your desire to move out of Withdean, which I visited earlier this year for a fixture to gain some idea of the problems the Club faces there. It was a salutary experience.

Nevertheless having also visited the potential Falmer site, I have to say I can understand some of the findings of the Planning Inspector. In particular I was disappointed that more was not done in the plan to improve transport links by putting money into a modernised railway station, in my view the present one is a shambles and a very poor advertisement for this country, for all the foreign students who use it regularly.

My own PERSONAL view is that a much better Falmer site would be on the grounds of Brighton University, which could then incorporate a regional footballing centre of excellence as advocated for the country's footballing admin by Sir Trevor Brooking. In my personal view, Brighton University should make land free from its own facilities for the construction of a Stadium which could be linked to existing and improved facilities elsewhere on the Uni site.

BU has no grounds for being reticent in handing over such land, it is at present allowing similar facilities it owns at Hindslands outside Eastbourne to go to waste; I understand from local Councillors there in order that at some time in the future it could have the area redeveloped with housing. Not much of an advert for the Government's avowed policies to protect recreational facilities, eh?

So if you want a stadium at Falmer which is not cramped, is not on AONB land, and which in my view could make use of land north of the railway line for parking etc. plus have a new station to attract P & R facilities from both Brighton and Lewes directions, I suggest you lobby Brighton Uni.

He seems to be completely unaware of the fact that the Falmer Stadium site IS on Brighton University land, that we ARE planning improvements to the facilities at Falmer Station, and that land north of the railway line WILL be used for parking etc. There is also no need to "lobby" Brighton University, since they have signed a planning agreement with the Football Club to deliver exactly what Councillor Brown is suggesting.

Yet he continues to support his Lib Dem colleagues in opposing the Albion's plans.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

My own PERSONAL view is that a much better Falmer site would be on the grounds of Brighton University, which could then incorporate a regional footballing centre of excellence as advocated for the country's footballing admin by Sir Trevor Brooking. In my personal view, Brighton University should make land free from its own facilities for the construction of a Stadium which could be linked to existing and improved facilities elsewhere on the Uni site.

There's no saving some people.

:shootself

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
I'm not sure if there is any point in trying to engage Lewes District Council in any debate about the Falmer planning application.

Lewes residents who are For the stadium and are paying taxes for the council to pay towards Against the Stadium surely have the right to argue and therefore there IS a point to arguing with them, no matter how silly they may seem re: the above letter.
Its time for the Lewes Tax Payers in favour of the Stadium to stand up, be counted and make a noise about this very issue, can you disagree with that?

Of course, Crabbers.

I guess my point is that we can only expect silly responses.

Councillor David Rogers (Lib Dem member for Newhaven) was very sympathetic to my suggestion that Council Tax shouldn't be spent on opposing the Albion's plans.

But he promised no change of policy. He simply assured me that ..."the resources of a local authority derive from both national and local sources of taxation. It is therefore ... misleading to give the impression that this expenditure is simply a matter of Council Tax, itself an unfair local tax which Liberal Democrats are campaigning to abolish."

FFS! I wasn't suggesting that we'd be happier if it was local income tax that was funding the opposition to the stadium.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
lol yeah just realised my STUPIDITY in not seeing your Ironic quote...damn I'm turning Yankee like :eek:

While we are outing Lewes Lib Dems for their stupid responses, I might as well quote (in full) two e-mails I've had from Councillor Marina Pepper.

1. I have forwarded your email to Brighton & Hove City council who are dealing with looking for a suitable site for the stadium

Marina Pepper

2. I believe Councillor Rogers has replied adequately to your comments.

Many thanks for taking the time and interest in local affairs.

She is a member of Lewes District Council's Cabinet, btw.

Seagull Stew

I think the main point is, how can the re-opening of the enquiry to look at other possible sites, all further away from Lewes than Falmer is, have anything to do with Lewes council whatsoever?
So how can they justify spending taxpayers money on this?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably cos I'm thick, but I don't understand how Lewes District Council can arbitrarily decide to allocate funds to oppose the Falmer stadium plans when some of their constituents will be FOR the stadium, some will be AGAINST it, and some will NOT GIVE A FLYER EITHER WAY. I mean, it's not like saying, OK, here's what the Police Authority need for their budget this year, or what it will take to empty the bins. This is a decision taken - Iraq War style - against the clear wishes of a large chunk of the electorate. The phrase 'Not In My Name' springs to mind. Where's the accountability? ???

Seagull_Stew said:
I think the main point is, how can the re-opening of the enquiry to look at other possible sites, all further away from Lewes than Falmer is, have anything to do with Lewes council whatsoever?
So how can they justify spending taxpayers money on this?
Exactly the question I asked when I sent these councillors my original e-mail.

So far, despite two efforts, no answer whatsoever.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Lord Bracknell said:
Of course, Crabbers.

I guess my point is that we can only expect silly responses.

Councillor David Rogers (Lib Dem member for Newhaven) was very sympathetic to my suggestion that Council Tax shouldn't be spent on opposing the Albion's plans.

But he promised no change of policy. He simply assured me that ..."the resources of a local authority derive from both national and local sources of taxation. It is therefore ... misleading to give the impression that this expenditure is simply a matter of Council Tax, itself an unfair local tax which Liberal Democrats are campaigning to abolish."

FFS! I wasn't suggesting that we'd be happier if it was local income tax that was funding the opposition to the stadium.

The point is though LB (and I had a very similar response to yourself from Mr Rogers) there has never been a proper, well-orchestrated attack on LDC from within its own borders. They have I'm sure received numerous letters and emails from the likes of you and I. There are a great many people in the Lewes District that are unaware of how their money is being spent. Ideally we need to find a group or organisation that has had funds turned down recently (over the last two years). Let's point out to these people where their money is being spent. Brighton.

I really do feel there is a lot more pressure that could be applied to LDC from within. It's been an untapped resource of late. How about a message in the program giving the figures? How about an small ad in the paper? Should we all right to the Argus about this? Whatever we do it needs to be controlled and united. That is when we are most affective.

I'm with Crabbers on this one. We need to push hard! Let's face it it's better than sitting around waiting from the Inquiry to happen.

The campaigning has already been taken to fans of Lewes FC. This letter was handed out at the Dripping Pan last Saturday:-

Dear Supporter

I am sure you are aware that John Prescott’s assessment of our proposals for the new stadium at Falmer is going into extra time. In the next few months a resumed Public Inquiry will examine other “potential” sites against a list of specific criteria before the Deputy Prime Minister gives his final verdict.

While the delay is very frustrating, we believe the process will prove once and for all that our original assessment was correct and there is only one site in Brighton for a new stadium that will meet Government criteria – Falmer.

The Albion will have to spend many more thousands of pounds on gathering evidence, presenting expert witnesses, legal representation, etc. – in addition to the £2.5 million we have already spent on the Falmer application and original Inquiry.

Our opponents, led by Lewes District Council, will be committing further significant sums of public money towards representation at the Inquiry. We know that they are currently gathering together a team of experts to try and challenge evidence submitted by our team on sites none of which are in the Lewes area. As a resident of Lewes District (which also includes Ringmer, Seaford, Newhaven, Peacehaven and Telscombe Cliffs) you might well resent this use of Council taxpayers’ money. And you won’t be alone, because almost 5,000 of your fellow residents signed the Falmer For All petition compared to under 1,000 who signed the petition against the stadium, a ratio of 5:1!

If you are unhappy with this situation, we recommend that you contact your councillor(s) on Lewes District Council straightaway. I have attached details of names and addresses of all the councillors. Wards have one, two or three councillors. If you are not sure in which Ward you live then contact Lewes District Council on (01273) 471600.

We also recommend that you write to Cllr Ann De Vecchi, Leader of the Council, and to John Crawford, Chief Executive. Both can be contacted at Lewes District Council, 32 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LX. And if you really want to get the message home, send a letter to the local newspaper: Sussex Express, 25 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LU.

Finally, please support the march to the Labour Party conference in Brighton on 27th September if you possibly can. Keep the faith – We will get our new stadium!

Many thanks for your continued support,

Yours faithfully

Martin Perry
Chief Executive

This is accompanied by a list of Lewes councillors, taken from the Lewes DC Website

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Lammy said:
Ideally we need to find a group or organisation that has had funds turned down recently (over the last two years). Let's point out to these people where their money is being spent. Brighton.

Would probably be best to get the schools angle, like that they have got less resources because the council are spending too much on issues that they shouldnt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Does Lewes have any newspapers other than the Argus? If so, probably pretty easy to fill their Letters Page with pro-Falmer views, poems etc. Like the man says tho, has to come from those who actually live in the area.

Tom Hark said:
Does Lewes have any newspapers other than the Argus? If so, probably pretty easy to fill their Letters Page with pro-Falmer views, poems etc. Like the man says tho, has to come from those who actually live in the area.
Sussex Express, 25 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LU.

Sadly, Lewes Life is now dead. Both Desert Orchid and Roz used to work for it.

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
ben andrews girlfriend said:
Would probably be best to get the schools angle, like that they have got less resources because the council are spending too much on issues that they shouldnt.

That wouldn't work because District Councils are not responsible for schools (that's the County Council's area). They are responsible for other things such as environmental facilities (parks, street sweeping etc), council housing (unless they have sold it all off), recycling and waste disposal etc as well as planning....

ben andrews girlfriend said:
A quick lesson on local government responsibilities for people who live in a Unitary Council area, like Brighton & Hove.

Lewes District Council is NOT responsible for Education, Social Services, Highways, Transport or Libraries - we get those services from East Sussex County Council.

Lewes District Council IS responsible for Planning, Housing, Leisure Facilities and Community Services (including sport development, allotments, public health and refuse collection).

If people want to argue that the £134,000 should be better spent on something else, the obvious area is sport and leisure facilities that will benefit local people.

Recycling and waste collection, Oval Gull ... not waste disposal. That's a County Council job (in East Sussex done jointly with Brighton & Hove City Council).

The precise boundaries between County and District responsibilities are sometimes very baffling. Mouldy meat pies are a District Council concern (Environmental Health). Underweight meat pies belong to the County (Trading Standards). Meat pies that are underweight and mouldy? God knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here