Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camp America

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
A mate of mine has done it on and off for years, he f***ing loves it, sounds like a great jaunt if you have the time :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thats what I was thinking and it would let me also do the parts of America I missed out on doing last time.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
He does Mountain Biking instructing in Carolina, sounds like a really nice place ..

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Yeah, did it for eight weeks during the summer of the World Cup in US in 1994. Was an amazing experience. I got on to a wealthy Jewish-run camp (Timberlake West) based in the Catskills in New York (to be honest, the only thing Jewish about it was the food was kosher). Instead of being a councillor where you have to look after a dorm of kids 24 hours a day, I decided to work in the kitchen. You had to get up earlier to prep for breakfast and the work was quite hard, but by 4pm we were done for the day so we could go swimming, play football or just laze about. We also slept in a house away from the kids so we had a bit more freedom.

Highlights were the location (stunning scenery and not overly far from NYC), spending most evenings drinking with the American staff in the nearest town (never any problems with ID) and meeting some top people. You get paid f-all, so make sure you've got plenty of cash if you want to do a bit of travelling afterwards.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Highlights were the location (stunning scenery and not overly far from NYC), spending most evenings drinking with the American staff in the nearest town (never any problems with ID) and meeting some top people. You get paid f-all, so make sure you've got plenty of cash if you want to do a bit of travelling afterwards.

That was my plan, I did quite about of the Old USA a few years back now and got the train around, it was cheap but my god was it slow with 23 hour delays the norm.
Am thinking of doing that or heading down to SA to meet some old friends in Ecuador....

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
That was my plan, I did quite about of the Old USA a few years back now and got the train around, it was cheap but my god was it slow with 23 hour delays the norm.
Am thinking of doing that or heading down to SA to meet some old friends in Ecuador....

God, it's been a while since I thought about this. Nice one. I was asked to return the following year and I never did for some reason. Just found my camp's website if you want to see what I had to put with for two months

http://www.timberlakewest.com/

I only had a week's travelling afterwards before starting uni, so did a quick triangle of NY, Buffalo (and Niagara) and Boston.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
A mixture of the dorms, workshops (drama, pottery etc), canteen/kitchen, games room (pool tables, arcade machines) and senior staff houses. There was also tennis courts, a swimming pool, a gym and guest appearances by famous (to the Americans) sports stars, including the goaltender for the New York Rangers who had just won the championship for the first time in ages. All for the rich Jewish brats from NYC – and a load of layabout English students of course.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I did it in 1989, a place called Camp Lokanda*, which was very much like FF's description - again in the Catskills in upstate NY. Fantastic scenery, plenty of beer, accomodating American ladies - all good.

If you are travelling afterwards, on a budget, then buy a greyhound bus pass - they go everywhere and its cheap [cheaper still if you buy it in the UK before you travel]. We slept on them - i.e. we'd spend the day in say Washington, then go to the bus station in the evening and just pick somewhere that was 9 hours away, and spend the night on the bus! When we found somewhere we liked or when we started to smell bad, we'd get a youth hostel or motel for the night. Visited 32 states in 45 days!

Another tip - all the American students working as councillors on the camp will invite you to come stay with them when you are travelling. They really mean it, and if you do, will look after you really well, feeding you up and showing you all their local sights. If they are girl ones, they may even let you touch them too.

*Not very interesting fact; Camp Lokanda gets a mention in Ghostbusters, just before the giant marshmallow man attacks ["What the hell did you think of?" "Toasting marshmallows round the fire at Camp Lokanda"] It was the camp Bill Murray attended as a kid!

1066gull

One of my friend went this year. Ain't spoken to her since she left. And probably won't do so for a while now I am off to Birmingham.

It's 4 months long I think.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Lots of their people in Maine, I imagine, with quite a few locally.

I teach around Sebago Lake, with at least a dozen camps, and strange accents in the stores are commonplace. Nightlife's a bit thin, but the counselors did seem to to get down to Portland at least occasionally, based on whom I bumped into at Gritty's and 3-Dollar Dewey's in years past.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes it is, but it gets you out there, into great scenery, a different culture, introduces you to lots of new people. You make of the opportunity what you will.

I for one, had a brilliant time, and recommend it to anyone finishing their A-levels with a couple of months free.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
My brother did it a couple of times and my wife's step sister did it this year. Both loved it and took the opertunity to travel about for a few weeks after camp finished.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here