Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all roofers or friends of roofers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can anyone recommend a roofer? Tubthumper Turme has sprung a leak.

Bit wary of simply trawling the yellow pages as this method didnt work too well when I needed some flat roofing done a while back.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Alder Roofing in Worthing is a mate of mine but I don't have the number to hand. I need to dash out now but PM me if you can't find the number and I'll come back to you when I get back from the scary job centre place!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers for the tips guys. I will follow them up tomorrow.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The majority of trades on Checkatrade are good. But being a tradesman myself there are also plenty of rogues still on there !!

No system is perfect, but it does improve your chances of getting somebody reputable and trustworthy compared to just randomly picking someone out of the yellow pages. Everyone I've ever used through this site I've been happy with. Plus you can always give negative feedback if you're not happy. I've never needed a roofer though, so can't recommend anyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What area are you in?

Terry Drake roofing is certainly worth a try. Covers most of Sussex - 1st rate service every time i use him. Look at his checkatrade feedback -

http://www.checkatrade.com/TerryDrakeRoofing

This is a joke, surely! It seems as though every recommendation has been written in the same style with NO SPELLING MISTAKES! (except the odd typo). Imagine 100 consecutive posters on NSC all with perfect English. The site is there to make money, which comes from the traders - the conflict of interest is there from the very start.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is a joke, surely! It seems as though every recommendation has been written in the same style with NO SPELLING MISTAKES! (except the odd typo). Imagine 100 consecutive posters on NSC all with perfect English. The site is there to make money, which comes from the traders - the conflict of interest is there from the very start.

Two consecutive posts with perfect English will be a NSC watershed moment

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
someone i know used check a trade and had a very poor job done so phoned them up and they said " we cant remove them from the list as they have paid their £800 a year to be on there " :thud:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
At the end of the day Checkatrade is just someones idea of making money,although it works to an extent,the feedback is about like ebays.

You just cant beat a good recommendation.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Just discovered Brighton and Hove Trading Standards have a "Buy with confidence" traders list which has a few roofers listed. They are candid about the limitations of the list, but if you haven't got any recommendations you're happy with it might be also be worthy of consideration. It would take some nerve for a rogue trader to pay to have themselves listed on the Trading Standards web site, but I guess you can't rule it out.

Brighton & Hove City Council Trading Standards

I did think there might be some way of checking whether a trader you are considering has had any complaints upheld by Trading Standards before using them as an extra comfort, but I haven't had any luck.

At the end of the day Checkatrade is just someones idea of making money,although it works to an extent,the feedback is about like ebays.

You just cant beat a good recommendation.

You can - a public forum sorts out the cowboys from the professionals.
A "good recommendation" may be one of an unscrupulous trader's few "good" jobs, done purely to produce commmissions for his sub-standard work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here