Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling ALL Computer Geniuses

Henry764

Oct 15, 2009
I'm looking to buy a new computer, one of the small 10.1inch ones. Basically, i need it to be fast, but I do not need to store hardly any files, music, video's etc, so i do not need much memory for that.

There seems to be the following stand out options:
An 8GB one, and a 160GB one. If i need it simply for speed, will the memory here make a difference? I.E, will the 8GB one be slower?

Just don't really want to throw money down the drain!

Thanks in advance, Hen :thumbsup:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
That's not memory, that's hard drive space.

8GB will likely be some form of solid state (i.e a fixed, internal memory card) thus a lot faster - however they only have a limited amount of writes you can do to them before they degrade (It's hundreds of thousands though). 160GB will just be your common or garden laptop hard drive.

If you just want it for speed and stuff, get the 8GB one if it is indeed SSD.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If you want a fast computer then buy one with the best processor you can afford.Then decent memory.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Get one with 2gb/4gb RAM and it'll be quick, if you don't have much stored on the computer.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
When you say fast what do you actually mean, what will you be using it for it will have a bearing on what component is more important?
Also the Operating System will have some influence, will 8GB be enough for Windows?
If you only want it for the interweb thing then it will be pretty irrelivant if your conenction is not super quick.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what you you think you need the speed for? those netbooks are designed for going online, portablity and battery life are the priorities, speed is relativly very poor. if processing speed is important, get a proper laptop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Macbook pro is the answer.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I'm looking to buy a new computer, one of the small 10.1inch ones. Basically, i need it to be fast, but I do not need to store hardly any files, music, video's etc, so i do not need much memory for that.

There seems to be the following stand out options:
An 8GB one, and a 160GB one. If i need it simply for speed, will the memory here make a difference? I.E, will the 8GB one be slower?

Just don't really want to throw money down the drain!

Thanks in advance, Hen :thumbsup:

Are you after a netbook?
I have a Samsung NC10 and its great for email / travel bookings / Skype etc. I wouldnt run anything heavy on it, but the speeds fine for the light-weight stuff. 300 quid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here