Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's form recently

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
He is my favourite player but have to say defensively recently he has been out of form and not up to his usual standards. Went to MK dongs game and he was roasted by their on loan fulham winger and watching all 3 Carlisle goals yesterday he had a major part in them. Does he need a rest?

FFF

Apr 3, 2010
Taricco was f***ing brilliant at right back when Calde was suspended.

Gus has always tried to pick a consistent back 4 though and with Tommy deputising for El-Abd at the moment, I don't think another change is likely.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Let's offload him to Southampton in the close season if he doesn't buck his ideas up.

:jester:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Don't criticise a player on NSC! When he keeps a clean sheet and scores on Tuesday someone will bounce this thread and LAY into you!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I still think he is a great player, although watching the FL show, he was at fault for each of the 3, particularly the second and third.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree. When Calde got his red card against Chalton, Tanno played for his three games out, all of which we won.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't think Calderon has been as good offensively this season as he was last season, but I think we've become so used to how good he is, any dip is going to stand out. He's the best right back we've had in the time I've been supporting the Albion, no question. Peter Smith a close second!

Not forgetting the brilliant Paul Watson, who was completely left footed!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The quality all around the side has improved so it means that those who stood out last season could still be playing as well as they did last season, if not better but because the level the team is playing at now, they don't stand out as much and therefore could be seen as out of form or not doing as weell as last season.

"Calderon not offering as much offensively" - we have far more attacking players all over the pitch meaning that his role in creating chances has been lessened as we don't need to rely on him as much to create chances

Defensively, we are still very solid, our goals conceeded record shows just how well our whole defense has done and these stats back this up

Goals scored = 61 / 32 games @ 1.9 goals per game
Goals conceeded = 26 / 32 games @ 0.81 goals per game

Compared to last season
Goals scored = 56 / 46 games @ 1.21 goals per game
Goals conceeded = 60 / 46 games @ 1.3 goals per game

So is he playing basdly or has the rest of the team improved meaning he doesn't stand out as much and therefore looks worse than last season?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He seems to be having difficulty keeping the ball in play when passed out to the wing recently. Quite a few times it has gone for a throw because he hasn't been able to control it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not wishing to criticise him but I have noticed a couple of times when Casper has wanted to take a quick goal kick to him he has been jogging back to his position wide on the right and has not appearred to be aware of what was happening, perhaps a little lack of concentration as opposed to the other back four players who generally appear to be prepared for such a kick.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I did note that at 3-2 up, with the 5 mins board just about to go up, that Calde was charging forward like a lunatic. He actually found himself the closest player to the Disabled stand, in open play, and that includes their goalkeeper. Why did he feel the need to do that. His 1st responsibility should be defence.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Same thought struck me watching the highlights - although I hadn't really clocked it at the game. He definitely was bounced off the ball for their second and sliced the kick then ball watched as the goal scorer picked up the ball on the edge of the box. Interesting that other people have seen this too.

Defending seems to be a dark art to me - it's easy to miss the really good stuff they do if they do it in an unfussy way. Being in the right place at the right time means that often nothing happens precisely for that reason. (It's like the terrorists - they only need to get lucky once - special branch need to get it right every time). So maybe his form hasn't dipped - perhaps he is doing well. After all our goals against is stunning. But i'll bet he is under the microscope more now.

Love the bloke - think he'll be part of the legendary Championship winning side of 2010/11 - but he definitely wobbled on Saturday.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Flippin eck. Yes perhaps he has had the odd game where his performance has dipped but he is still bloody brilliant. I still think he is the best right back in the division and his offensive play is a lot of the reason why Bennett can have such a free reign to do what he does.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Watching yesterday I felt he covered more ground than anyone on the team as with Bennett drifting inside the responsibility was his to push forward offering width on the right while tracking back and performing his defensive duties. Hard job for anyone and do think he got tired as the match went on. Maybe adding a right back to the squad who is capable of covering next year will be a priority as cup and league games doing that in the championship will test how much he has in the tank......if we can hold on and go up of course! I love the man but have to confess he does seem to have struggled against tricky wingers over the last few weeks, something he can work on in training. Nobody is perfect, unfortunately even Calde.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Flippin eck. Yes perhaps he has had the odd game where his performance has dipped but he is still bloody brilliant. I still think he is the best right back in the division and his offensive play is a lot of the reason why Bennett can have such a free reign to do what he does.

correct

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

"This" as they say.

To be honest, the amount of times Calde was standing alone on the right flank, completely unmarked with an open flank in front of him and screaming for the ball we could have used him far better.

If Greer looked to his left once, just once, he would have been away!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't think Calderon has been as good offensively this season as he was last season, but I think we've become so used to how good he is, any dip is going to stand out. He's the best right back we've had in the time I've been supporting the Albion, no question. Peter Smith a close second!

Not forgetting the brilliant Paul Watson, who was completely left footed!

I agree - he probably has't been AS consistant this season - but then he didn't really have one bad game that I remember last season. And yes he is brilliant and that's why we notice a poor game more than others - he's set a very high standard.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not so consistent. Probably just hoping to get through the season without another rollicking from Greer.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Calderon is amazing, one of the best right backs in the league. One thing would be to bring another right back so there will be two players who will be challenging for the place. By doing this if Calderon was injured or booked their would be someone who has the same qualities playing in that position, instead of a player like Dunk in place. Definitely keep him for next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here