Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cake mix - am I being shafted!.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wifey has taken to baking cakes, very nice brownies, fairy cakes, etc.

Sadly though, because one of her friends (no friend of mine, now) has told her:-

'Cake mix is more dangerous than the bubonic plague, being carried by an Al Qaeda terrorist high jacking a plane you're on', because of the raw egg, none of us are allowed to lick the bowl, beaters or spoon.

Please tell me, and more importantly Wifey, that her friend is talking bollox.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Depends how much raw egg there is, shirley?
I'm sure a little bit wouldn't hurt but you wouldn't crack open an egg and it eat without cooking it, would you?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
As long as the chickens that have produced said egg are vaccinated against salmonella it should be fine.

I think.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Nonsense. There was a scare about salmonella in raw eggs several years ago but licking the bowl of cake mixture is absolutely fine (as is making an Omlette and not cooking it all the way through etc.). Obviously it might not be 100% garanteed safe but people have been doing it all the time and not had any problems (like me)!

Avoiding every possible adverse effect of every variety of food is one of the major causes of loads of illnesses and "allergies". There is a whole generation of children being brought up by over-cautious parents who are preventing the proper development of their little ones' immune systems.

This can be FATAL.

DON'T KILL YOUR CHILDREN - START BY LETTING THEM LICK OUT BOWLS.

You have not been charged for this information.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nonsense. There was a scare about salmonella in raw eggs several years ago but licking the bowl of cake mixture is absolutely fine (as is making an Omlette and not cooking it all the way through etc.). Obviously it might not be 100% garanteed safe but people have been doing it all the time and not had any problems (like me)!
and me, I think it was part of my staple diet through the 70's.

Wasn't it Greens of Brighton or something.

Yep.

434px-Im192103HG-Greens.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Avoiding every possible adverse effect of every variety of food is one of the major causes of loads of illnesses and "allergies". There is a whole generation of children being brought up by over-cautious parents who are preventing the proper development of their little ones' immune systems.

This can be FATAL.

DON'T KILL YOUR CHILDREN - START BY LETTING THEM LICK OUT BOWLS.

You have not been charged for this information.

This

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Yes, your missus is being overly protective. Raw egg is fine. Let's be honest, a lot of people drink raw eggs as a hangover cure (that's also bollocks but it doesn't hurt them) Salmonella in eggs has pretty much all but been eradicated so unless you buy really cheap eggs from dodgy market stalls that don't have the lion mark, you're fine. If you can't eat raw cake mix, what's the point of baking in the first place?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No wonder children are growing up soft these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here