Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cabaye: El Abd to help defend violent conduct charge

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fair play to AEA for that, what a GENT :)

Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye will contest a Football Association charge of violent conduct after an incident involving Brighton's Adam El-Abd.

And manager Alan Pardew says he will enlist the help of El-Abd after being contacted by the south coast club.

The pair clashed during Newcastle's FA Cup fourth-round defeat by Brighton at the Amex Stadium on Saturday.

Pardew said: "I had a call from the Brighton coaching team to suggest their player wants to support our player."

Cabaye appeared to catch El-Abd in the face after kicking out following a challenge by the Brighton defender but match referee Lee Probert took no action at the time.

El-Abd said after the game he felt Cabaye should have seen red for the challenge but appears to have had a change of heart.

Pardew said: "I cannot believe that the referee, after the game, has gone back. Now whether this is pressure that he's under, I don't know. I really do think they need to just take a deep breath on this one, have a good look at it"

" I had a call from the Brighton coaching team to suggest to me that their player wants to support our player, and I have never had that.We never instigated it, we never asked or put a phone call in to Brighton - in fact, I didn't see Gus after the game, and I must apologise to him for that, because I had to shoot off to shag one of the directors wives."

"We have sent our letter in, a strong letter, and we have also, after the contact from Brighton, asked the Brighton player if he would forward a letter to us, which he has kindly done, and that will go in as well."

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Maybe next time Pardew ... will hang around a bit longer before he shoots off

I believe the director's wife said something along similar lines, he is known as 'Touch and Go Pardew' in certain circles.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Why would El-Abd think it was a red card at the time and after the game, but now wants to help the appeal? Am half expecting us to sign a Newcastle player on loan when the window reopens

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Why would El-Abd think it was a red card at the time and after the game, but now wants to help the appeal? Am half expecting us to sign a Newcastle player on loan when the window reopens

During the game all he saw was a boot heading towards his face so I imagine that made him think it should have been a red. I guess he changed his mind after seeing a replay.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

May well be that he doesn't like charges being brought after the game's over, or possibly he's seen the replay and decided that it was a mistake.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Good PR move but it doesn't change the fact that it was a petulant reaction and he DID kick out. Should still be a three game ban regardless of whatever elAbd has to say.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Bet the ref feels a bit let down. It was a kick out, the ref did well to go back and do the right thing by adam and then he turns round and supports cabayes appeal.

Id be a bit miffed, and more importantly less likely to do the right thing again!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It might have been different if we lost the game or had a replay. But i think AEA treats the game as a battle, and once the battle has ended moves on. During the game you will do what you can to win the game. It makes no difference to AEA if Cabaye is banned or not, so no harm in helping out a fellow player.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Oh well:lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It might have been different if we lost the game or had a replay. But i think AEA treats the game as a battle, and once the battle has ended moves on. During the game you will do what you can to win the game. It makes no difference to AEA if Cabaye is banned or not, so no harm in helping out a fellow player.

What about the next player who gets a petulant kick in the head from Cabaye?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here