Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye Harvey's ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was having a nice Dark Star Old Chestnut in a popular,but nameless pub last week. I said to the landlord that I was surprised to see the absence of Harvey's on tap ?

He said he had got rid of it a few months ago as in his opinion it was an "old mans" beer and that the clientelle he was attracting were not interested in drinking boring plain old Harveys like their dads used to ! they stocked 2 Dark Stars and an offering from The Bexhill Brewery and another from the Arundel Brewery

Given the huge range of year long and seasonal brews by Dark Star, plus the rise of other local micro breweries I think its only a matter of time before we see the end for them unless they develop and market some new ales.

I for one won't be sad to see the end, its like an old woman sat in the corner of a nursing home waiting for the end .:thumbsup:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
So based on the opinions of one landlord you're writing their obituary. Ladies and gentleman i think we've found the complete beer badger.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So based on the opinions of one landlord you're writing their obituary. Ladies and gentleman i think we've found the complete beer badger.

a journey of a thousand miles starts with but a single step.....

He said he was surprised that he had had virtually NO complaints about it's absence..... go figure

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... the clientelle he was attracting were not interested in drinking boring plain old Harveys like their dads used to !

thats all he says, his target market isn't interested in Harveys, probably more to do with location and locals. maybe they are younger drinkers moving from lager wanting somthing different, rather than ale drinkers wanting something traditional. I've moved into the wheat beers myself, and i note Darkstar do one that might interest me while i dont see anything in Harveys range to appeal to me. But there are plenty of ale drinkers and old men who are quite happy with Harveys. i think any rumours of their demise are a tad premature.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Was in London on Tues and had a pint of H in the Market Porter. Absolutely superb - much better than I recall in the Nelson. I now prefer Dark Star beers as they have a greater product range (Hophead to Russian Stout and all points in between).

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Now that is a really frightening prospect! :laugh:

I suppose we're into the polarised world where you would be unable to enjoy both Harveys and Dark Star. "Dark Star is flair and Harveys is shit." Secretly you would yearn for a distinctive Dutch ale called De Molen.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There are plenty of people out there who are perfectly happy to drink Harveys best and nothing else. Thats fine. Its an ok beer, if a little bland if the truth be known. There are also some people who eat exactly the same thing everytime they go out to a restaurant because, ''thats what I like'' and thats fine as well.
The truth is Dark Star are an innovative bunch who like to try things out and intruduce new styles to Sussex drinkers. Most of it works brilliantly in what is a ever evolving market but like I say if you just want a bog standard brown beer without ever trying something just a little different then Harveys do the job. It might help Haveys if some of their other ales actually made it further than a 5 miles radius as long as that ghastly 'Old' keeps away from the serious pumps around here.

I could name 3 or 4 pubs where Harveys have been 'rested' here in Worthing but whether that is a trend I dont know.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

I suppose we're into the polarised world where you would be unable to enjoy both Harveys and Dark Star. "Dark Star is flair and Harveys is shit." Secretly you would yearn for a distinctive Dutch ale called De Molen.

:lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Tsarina Esra.......:thumbsup:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I usually enjoy a couple of civil pints of Harveys on a Sunday evening but I'm giving it a wide berth after a very heavy night on the piss and my ears are still ringing.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We've got two fantastic brewers in Sussex, and a host of exciting micros.

It doesn't have to be a case of either/or. Harveys is a superb pint and has a very loyal fanbase that I don't think is getting smaller. They're a pretty innovative bunch - just check out the brewery shop if you want evidence of that. They've also invested in a micro plant which, when it comes on stream, should enhance the portfolio even more.

They're never going to go berserk with American hops and generally push the envelope as far as Dark Star. That's why there's room for both of them, and you'll also find that they're friendly with each other.

People are free to decide which they prefer but to talk about Harveys being in terminal decline is just plain wrong.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I dont want to get into a Harveys based rant as I know it annoys some on here. But I know amongst my closest ale-drinking friends we all find Harveys Best far preferable to any of the Dark Star range so far... and we're all in our 20s. I do enjoy a dark star ocassionally but find they all share that sickly, creaminess which presumably comes from the American hops.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Hammerpot, Langhams, Arundel, Dark Star.
All local beers I'd drink before Harveys. Its not that I don't like Harveys, it's just not very exciting.
I'd of course welcome it at Falmer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I dont want to get into a Harveys based rant as I know it annoys some on here. But I know amongst my closest ale-drinking friends we all find Harveys Best far preferable to any of the Dark Star range so far... and we're all in our 20s. I do enjoy a dark star ocassionally but find they all share that sickly, creaminess which presumably comes from the American hops.

This (except I'm in my 50s). Although Dark Star is OK, it doesn't have the bite that Harveys does.

I see no reason why it has to be one or the other - there's plenty of room for both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here