Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye Billy Taylor

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
Billy Taylor has left Sussex to sign a 3 year contract with Hampshire.

The 26 year old played just 28 First Class games in 4 years taking 71 wickets, but was instrumental in our winning the championship this year.

He single handedly destroyed Wankashire at Hove and was a favourite around the ground at Hove.

Cheers for the memories Crusty! :clap:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
ah well, it's a step up at least.:)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
:(

Legend in his own time. Instrumental in setting up some of our wins this season with some devastating bowling.

Good Luck Crusty:clap:

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Cheers Crusty!
a truly dependable performer for Sussex over the years - we couldn't have asked for much more out of him this year.

Good luck getting Hants out of Divn 2 - be good to see you back at Hove

Martlet

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
tinx said:
Why leave a championship winning team.

Because he'l get regular games down the road.

Hopefully we are getting Ian Ward and Ian Blackwell in over the winter so i think some squad trimming is needed first.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for the memories Billy... :(

Ian Blackwell has signed a contract extension with Somerset til 2006...

Apparently we have 3 targets, Ian Ward, Alistair Brown & Mohammed Akram.

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
Shaun Rashid and Baz Zuiderant have both left also, so for the time being we are down to 15 pro's, and if Murray Goodwin decides to seek a 2 year contract elsewhere we could be down to 14.

Players currently out of contract include

Ian Ward
Left-hand opening bat
Tests: 5
Team in 2003: Surrey
First-class record:
6923 runs at 40.01
3 wkts at 65.66

Dominic Cork
Pace bowler, lower-order bat
Tests: 37, ODIs: 32
Team in 2003: Derbyshire
First-class record:
722 wkts at 26.22
7305 runs at 25.18

Kevin Pietersen
Right-hand bat, off-spinner
Tests: 5
Team in 2003: Nottinghamshire
First-class record:
3945 runs at 51.23
48 wkts at 45.47

Ryan Sidebottom
Left-arm pace bowler
Tests: 1, ODIs: 2
Team in 2003: Yorkshire
First-class record:
179 wkts at 24.74
624 runs at 11.34

Usman Afzaal
Left-hand bat, slow left-arm bowler
Tests: 3
Team in 2003: Nottinghamshire
First-class record:
6692 runs at 32.48
66 wkts 50.71

But we should'nt sign Sidebottom because he has crap hair!
RyanSidebottom3.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mohammed Akram would probably be the reason that Taylor is leaving then?

Does this mean Goodwin will be a UK passport holder next year or that he has decided to leave (Ward being his replacement?).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So the possible team could be...

Ward
Montgomerie
Adams
Brown
Ambrose (Wk)
Prior
Martin Jenkins
Mustaq Ahmed
Kirtley
Lewry
Mohammad Akram

Not too shabby.???

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
I think Goodwin qualifies in 2 years time, as last season was only his 3rd playing in England. I believe it takes 5 years before you can become a British Citizen, Lord Bracknell?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Kirtley to be rested....

From the BBC....

JOHNSON ON BANGLADESH TOUR

Johnson missed the series against South Africa with a knee injury
England have called up pace bowler Richard Johnson to replace James Anderson for the two-Test series against Bangladesh.
Johnson, who took 6-33 on debut against Zimbabwe, missed the series against South Africa with a knee injury.

But the Somerset bowler got the nod after front-runner James Kirtley was ruled out with shin splints.

Anderson has been told to rest a knee injury but will play in the one-day series which follows the Tests.

I'll be doing everything I can to make an impact in Bangladesh

Richard Johnson
The first Test begins in Dhaka on 21 October, with the second in Chittagong the following week.

Johnson will fly to Bangladesh a day later than the rest of the party because he is due to get married this weekend.

But he was forced to cancel a planned honeymoon to Mauritius.

"It was frustrating not being able to play in the Test series against South Africa this summer after making such a good start at Durham," he said.

"But I feel that I have a lot to offer in Test cricket and I'll be doing everything I can to make an impact in Bangladesh."

Martin Saggers deserved a go, as I don't believe we can trust Johnson's fitness

From Will L
Have your say on TMS

Chairman of selectors David Graveney added: "Richard produced an outstanding performance against Zimbabwe and deserves an opportunity to press for a place in the Test side again."

Anderson will re-join the party for six consecutive one-day internationals, the first three in Bangladesh and the next three in Sri Lanka.

Before that he will undergo a fitness programme and spend time at the ECB National Academy in Loughborough.

Kirtley also hopes to be fit in time to join the one-day squad.

My understanding of the ECB/ICC regs on qualifications are that as Goodwin has played test cricket for Zimbabwe and already been registered as an A list overseas player he would find it difficult to be qualified as an domestic player (ie English) for Sussex.

I think Northants are thinking about challenging the ECB over these regs as one of their players has been offered a contract with New South Wales as a domestic (thereby making him an Australian - uggggh, the very thought) player this winter and thus making him inelgible for domestic registration.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Mo Akram has married a English woman and is dual nationality therefore is not an overseas player so Murray & Mushy can both stay!

:clap:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Not too sure the fact that Goodwin has played for Zimbabwe counts for anything. Craig Spearman played for New Zealand but now plays for Gloucester - he has a UK passport through his parentage so doesn't count as an overseas player - the fact h played for another country is not relevant.

Please do not sign Dominic Cork - widely reputed to be unbelievably unpopular with all players at Derbyshire. Sidebottam, whilst not being good enough for England, might be a reasonable county pro getting 20-25 wickets as a first change seamer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here