Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a new house

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anyone got any experience of buying from a housebuilder?

I'm getting frustrated by their intransigence and can't believe that I'm the only person who has had this issue.

Before we move all our furniture in, I really want to get the flooring fitted. Because we're not getting the developer to do the flooring, they're not letting us have access to do it prior to completion date.

I can't see why we can't get it fitted after exchange of contracts but before completion,

Anyone got any experience of buying new houses who has come across this before?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
You should fomg no reason to not do it after exchange. The main reason is vendors do not like this to happen as in some cases it can hold up, or be used as an excuse to not complete. Have you set a comp' date within 28 days (the legal amount of time) ??

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Sounds like they are just being a bit knobby then. May be a policy, although there is usually some flexibility.

The problem arises from builders going in an smashing the place up and problems can arise from that, your solicitor should be able to negotiate a deal I would think.....Take no agent involved??

Seagull Stew

Can't really see the issue here.
The vendor is well within his rights not to allow you free access to the property until completion has taken place. If your builder injures himself while fitting the flooring it could well be the case that he makes a claim against the current homeowner.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
A house sale isn't complete until your money has cleared the banks. I have bought from brand new but when moving to Huddersfield with a van full of furniture, the estate agents wouldn't let us have the keys at first saying the bank hadn't cleared it.
We had to wait over an hour for the keys and that was on completion day.
Once you have keys then you have occupancy and could be squatters.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Working in property for 15 years I hear and can see all of the above, however, it does happen when both parties agree a deal can be made. But, as pointed out there can be insrance and legal issues........The law can be an ass!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The vendor/builder is well within their rights on this one. Infact I would have been amazed if anyone would have let you fit carpets after exchange and before completion. Exchange is just a good will gesture basically, people don't have to complete although of course if they did not they would lose their deposit and could be sued so 99% of exchanges turn into completions.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The developer is within their rights not to allow access until the legal completion. The period of time in between exchange and completion is when the snagging is done (unless it's a f**king Barratts house - their snagging takes 6 months from when you move in) so trades can get in to finish whats been picked up on a pre final inspection.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The period of time in between exchange and completion is when the snagging is done (unless it's a f**king Barratts house - their snagging takes 6 months from when you move in) so trades can get in to finish whats been picked up on a pre final inspection.

The developer has stated that the snagging is to be done in the first month after completion NOT before. Either way, they're responsible for defects.

I hear what people are saying about why they shouldn't let the carpet fitter in, but it's a pretty good indication that we intend to complete when we are spending money on the place.

We have the building insured from exchange, as you are supposed to do. The workman should have his own insurance. There really isn't much of a risk.

What I was really asking, though, was how do you organise your move in when you don't have any floor finishes whatsoever in the house. It's clearly better to fit them with the house empty, but where do you put all your furniture?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
98% of the snagging was done on our new house before legal completion which was 5 years ago now. Reserved it on 22nd Nov and moved in on 18th Dec as all the paperwork was in place and it was a cash purchase. Only needed a plumber to tighten up some taps and the site foreman to remove a blue bag that had got lodged in the drain outside when they returned from the Xmas shutdown.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
If all else fails, how about getting most of your furniture put in to the garage apart from the essentials and then getting the flooring done asap after completion, like the next day?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just tell them to go f*** themselves :thumbsup:

You have not been charged for this information.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
New house Sulliphant? In Hanover darling? Can the boss man not have a word with someone or is he pissed up on a yacht at Mipim?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can the boss man not have a word with someone or is he pissed up on a yacht at Mipim?

He is indeed! :drink:

All sorted now, I think. Completing a day earlier and that wonderful Tony Towner fellow has agreed to move the furniture on Good Friday. :thumbsup:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If all else fails, how about getting most of your furniture put in to the garage apart from the essentials and then getting the flooring done asap after completion, like the next day?

The next day is Good Friday. The carpet fitter isn't interested.

Also, I'm trying to avoid having to move all the furniture myself, so putting it in the garage is a non-starter. Miles too far to the top floor from there.....

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
New house Sulliphant? In Hanover darling? Can the boss man not have a word with someone or is he pissed up on a yacht at Mipim?

My God ! Working in G Manchester Local Govt almost everyone senior I know seems to be at Mipim this week - must be a right skive!!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
could you arrange for the flooing to be fitted as part of the purchase? though i would expect eveey house to have a floor, or there's nowhere for the walls to go..

If I want to pay over the top for it, yes I could. That's why they're being awkward, in my opinion.

By flooring, I mean carpets and tiles, obviously. But I know you knew that already! :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here