Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butters & Hinsh- the new Hansen & Lawrenson?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
OK, a bit tongue in cheek, but since the "irreplaceable" Danny Cullip left, the defence have actually done alright, especially looking at our mini unbeaten run.

Butters was IMMENSE yesterday, look at his age and pace compared with the likes of Keane and Defoe, and yet he barely gave them a sniff. Neither goal could be blamed on him. Another colossus-like performance from the mighty Guy :lolol:

Couldn't believe how good Hinshelwood was either, he looked different class against the Spurs strikers. All these clubs are supposed to be sniffing around Dan Harding, yet for my money, Adam Hinshelwood is a far better bet at the moment, certainly less prone to mistakes. He was great in the air, showed a couple of fantastic moments of coolness on the ball, and his distribution was excellent. Plus he has sufficient pace to cover Butters in that respect.

In fairness, all the defence were excellent against Spurs (I was amazed how impressive Reid was, and Mayo had a stormer too), and haven't been too bad in other recent games, but the biggest compliment to Butters & Hinsh is that people aren't particularly talking about Danny Cullip any more.

Well played fellas :clap: :clap: :clap:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The thing I've liked about our play recently is that we seem to have given up on the hoof from defence, and are trying to play the ball out from the back. McGhee has presumably been working on this with the team for some time, as last season we virtually never did it, but in the past 7 or 8 games it seems to be coming together. Both Butters and Hinsh are very comfortable on the ball, and seem better able to play a simple pass to the right player than Cullip ever was. Having said that, for my money Virgo is the best defender in our team.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I thought Virgo was excellent as well today, I'm not convinced that Hinshelwood has the necessary height to be a top-class centre half, but playing alongside Butters and Virgo that doesn't matter too much at the moment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst watching the Villa v Utd game I was amazed to see Andy Cole tower above Danny Cullip. I know DC is not big but in Premiership terms it seems he is almost a midget as Cole has always looked no more than average height when I have seen him before. Not having been to a Premiership game would I be right in thinking that they are generally much taller players than in the Championship?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Icy Gull said:
Whilst watching the Villa v Utd game I was amazed to see Andy Cole tower above Danny Cullip. I know DC is not big but in Premiership terms it seems he is almost a midget as Cole has always looked no more than average height when I have seen him before. Not having been to a Premiership game would I be right in thinking that they are generally much taller players than in the Championship?

Am I missing something or doesn't Andy Cole play for Fulham ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Billy Seagull said:
Probably Carlton Cole...who is very tall.

:blush: that would explain it, not too up on the Premiership

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Icy Gull said:

Seemingly so. All you need to remember about Carlton Cole is that he is a Chelsea player who was going to play for Charlton this year but decided to play for Aston Villa instead.

Simple really !

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
edna krabappel said:
OK, a bit tongue in cheek, but since the "irreplaceable" Danny Cullip left, the defence have actually done alright, especially looking at our mini unbeaten run.

Butters was IMMENSE yesterday, look at his age and pace compared with the likes of Keane and Defoe, and yet he barely gave them a sniff. Neither goal could be blamed on him. Another colossus-like performance from the mighty Guy :lolol:

Couldn't believe how good Hinshelwood was either, he looked different class against the Spurs strikers. All these clubs are supposed to be sniffing around Dan Harding, yet for my money, Adam Hinshelwood is a far better bet at the moment, certainly less prone to mistakes. He was great in the air, showed a couple of fantastic moments of coolness on the ball, and his distribution was excellent. Plus he has sufficient pace to cover Butters in that respect.

In fairness, all the defence were excellent against Spurs (I was amazed how impressive Reid was, and Mayo had a stormer too), and haven't been too bad in other recent games, but the biggest compliment to Butters & Hinsh is that people aren't particularly talking about Danny Cullip any more.

Well played fellas :clap: :clap: :clap:

Totally agree. I hope Guy & Hinsh sign their contracts for next season.

Can we buy Guy a painting for his attic? (Oscar Wilde)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Micky Adams and Steve Claridge would make better TV pundits.

Re: Re: Butters & Hinsh- the new Hansen & Lawrenson?

Yorkie said:
Totally agree. I hope Guy & Hinsh sign their contracts for next season.

Can we buy Guy a painting for his attic? (Oscar Wilde)

What about a picture of Waynie Gray?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Icy Gull said:

I'd be proud of that. Not embarrased :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here