Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butters and Oatway offered new deals

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
From the Anus

"Albion veteran Guy Butters is today celebrating the offer of a new contract.

The Seagulls are giving the centre half another year, which will keep him at the club beyond his 36th birthday.

It is the perfect tonic for Butters as he prepares for Saturday's nostalgic FA Cup trip to his first club Tottenham.

Manager Mark McGhee revealed: "Guy will be offered a new contract, a year's extension. He accepts it can only be a year, given his age, but I think he has done brilliantly.

"He's maintained his fitness, in fact he has improved his fitness, and his performances have been impeccable. There is absolutely no reason to think he cannot play again next year."

Captain Charlie Oatway, another of the 13 players out of contract in the summer, has been told he will be offered a new deal.

McGhee is also optimistic young defender Adam Hinshelwood will agree a three-year contract and he has not given up hope that England under-21 leftback Dan Harding, linked with a move to several clubs, will accept a long-standing offer.

"We are trying to persuade Hinsh, the same as Dan Harding," McGhee said.

"He is not quite playing the same game as it were as Dan, but he's not signed yet so there is an issue there which is ongoing.

"I am pursuing it with some vigour to try and get it settled and I'm hopeful."

Leon Knight exclusively revealed to The Argus on Tuesday that he will sign a new contract.

Albion are offering him terms for the rest of this season plus the next two, although that could become three depending on negotiations with his agent.

Chairman Dick Knight is also living up to his promise, made in The Argus in November, of a new contract for McGhee to replace the 18-month deal which runs out at the end of the season.

"The whole situation is starting to look brighter," McGhee said. "Leon has said what he's said and the chairman has indicated to me that he wants to sit down with me at some point soon.

"I hope these things are going to encourage the likes of Hinsh and Dan to commit themselves. If I am going to commit myself here then I want to know that I've got that nucleus.

"This job wouldn't be half as attractive if I didn't have the likes of Harding, Hinshelwood and Leon Knight to develop."

Albion, unbeaten in four Championship matches over Christmas and the New Year, have a clean bill of health for Saturday's sell-out at Spurs with the exception of long-term casualties Ben Roberts and Chris McPhee.

"We've had a right result coming through four games of such intensity and such competitive games without an injury," McGhee said. "The general character and spirit is so good that it takes a lot to knock them down.

"Also, they all want to play in the Spurs game and there is the issue of contracts with some of them as well, so they have a bit of an edge to get through things they would normally be in the treatment room for."

McGhee refused to be drawn as to whether Birmingham's want away midfielder Robbie Savage would be coming to the Albion on loan for the rest of the season to be nearer to his parents in Wrexham.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it just me or does this sound like the most encouraging comment we've had from McGhee this season?

"I hope these things are going to encourage the likes of Hinsh and Dan to commit themselves. If I am going to commit myself here then I want to know that I've got that nucleus.

On the other hand I am very concerned that we might be taken in by Savage's wish to come here. I think he would probably weaken our midfield with his lily livered tackling, even though I'm sure he would be very cheap to sign.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
savage would be a f***ing superb signing - end of!

cant see it though, how are we closer to f***ing Wrexham than Birmingham.
also, where is the connection with us? he is a Prem player?

anyone shed any light on it???

(sounds as though if we want McGhee to stay and be happy, we also need D.Harding to stay!)

Last edited:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!

(sounds as though if we want McGhee to stay and be happy, we also need D.Harding to stay!)

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Good news at last on the cotracts front...get MM signed up ASAP... not a Oatway fan but have to say he has played particularly well in recent weeks and deserves a extra year... (El Pres.. please note this is a positive comment...note it down for later use)

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Brighton till i die said:

:shootself

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
if we can get the core of our team signed up (knight, hinsh, kuipers,butters,oatway etc) we can then go on to stay up this year with the team full of security and confidence!!

then push for a play-off place next year!!! :lolol: :lolol:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
we have known this for a few days but wasnt allowed to tell ya!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Auditor said:
Good news at last on the cotracts front...get MM signed up ASAP... not a Oatway fan but have to say he has played particularly well in recent weeks and deserves a extra year... (El Pres.. please note this is a positive comment...note it down for later use)

Duly noted :ohmy:

Can you explain to BTID that the final paragraph may not be quite true :wave:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fantastic news. The more I hear MMs comments, the more I like the man.

He has now become the best manager we have had in the last five years in my book.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton till i die said:

are you SERIOUSLY asking for people to shed light on Savage joining us? :shootself

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It sounds like McGhee relishes the opportunity to nurture the players he has here, and the job that the much maligned Hinshelwood and Deano have done should get a large share of the credit, should McGhee decide to stay. Without these players coming through coupled with the concerns about Falmer, I doubt McGhee would even consider staying?

Working with DK is almost certainly another reason he appears keen to discuss terms.

We are a lucky club, although it may not always be obvious :)

Hinsh is the one I'll be holding my breath for - need to get him to sign quick before the rest of the world discovers his potential. Pleased to hear he's "not playing the same game" as Dan :lolol: McGhee not mincing his words there.

Uncle Buck - I'd be delighted if we give 3 years to Charlie, although it might probably be 2, he is getting better and better as a player and has no fitness/injury worries. We are not going to get any better than him, accept that for a happier life as an Albion fan.

Love the quote from John Piercy in the Argus today, talking up Albion's chances: "I don't know if Jermain Defoe will have played against someone like Charlie Oatway before!"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here