Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buses from Rottingdean Route R

STEVIEBABIE1

Jul 31, 2010
Having been to a few games by train I am now thinking of trying the buses. Can anyone give any feedback on how the buses from Rottingdean have been doing?

How often do they run and how late do they run after the match, particularly for evening games? Where do you catch it from after the match and is it a bun-fight to get on one afterwards as well?
Thanks.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Having been to a few games by train I am now thinking of trying the buses. Can anyone give any feedback on how the buses from Rottingdean have been doing?

How often do they run and how late do they run after the match, particularly for evening games? Where do you catch it from after the match and is it a bun-fight to get on one afterwards as well?
Thanks.

I took the R bus last Saturday. No problems getting to the stadium.

Route R is a shuttle service from Rottingdean, with buses approximately every 15 minutes between 12.25pm and 2.10pm (5.45pm and 7pm for an evening match) linking Rottingdean and the Stadium via Woodingdean (Falmer Road, Cowley Drive and Bexhill Road). These journeys provide convenient links for people living in Newhaven, Peacehaven and Saltdean who catch a 12/12A or 14/14C to Rottingdean and Route R buses depart from the bus stop opposite The White Horse (facing towards Saltdean). There will be departures on Route R returning from the stadium from approximately 5pm (or when full) until 5.45pm (or when full) and from 9.45pm until 10.30pm for an evening match.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I was considering trying out the S bus back to Withdean. Where in the stadium do they leave from after the game?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Used it saturday - waited about 20 mins at 1.30 and then 3 (they're mini bus types) turned up at 1.50. Coming home was a doddle. Used it coming home on Tuesday and same easy journey (rottingdean high street was shut so diverted via ovingdean and back in rotters by 10.15). I did hear some people saying though that journey in on tuesday was very patchy and they said they waited 30 to 40 mins for the bus.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Superb on Saturday but waited an hour on Tuesday before getting a friend to give me a lift there. Hopefully that was a one off due to Rottingdean road works.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Ive used it twice, getting there is a doddle, but getting back is trickier, they're supposed to be every 15 mins, I'm up the top of WSU, it takes ages to get down if you wait til the final whistle (which I always will do) and by the time I got back to the stop in the car park they were full, it took them 20 mins to get out the car park and then they had to do their route and get back again, only just fitted into the last mini bus for the second trip, if you're late out I can see it taking ages. Won't be fun in the rain but there is always the option to stay behind and have a couple then leaving when it clears a bit outside

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I got out of the North Stand Tuesday on the final whistle, saw the 2 Compass Travel (I think) mini buses fill up as I got the stop and the steward called over a B&H double deck from another line, dont know if its a standby bus in case of a route having extra demand or if they pulled it off another route, but I suspect they put that extra bus on because of the roadworks in Rottingdean.

I think I waited longer for the 27 to turn up to go from Rottingdean to Saltdean than I waited for the R to get back to Rottingdean

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I got out of the North Stand Tuesday on the final whistle, saw the 2 Compass Travel (I think) mini buses fill up as I got the stop and the steward called over a B&H double deck from another line, dont know if its a standby bus in case of a route having extra demand or if they pulled it off another route, but I suspect they put that extra bus on because of the roadworks in Rottingdean.

I think I waited longer for the 27 to turn up to go from Rottingdean to Saltdean than I waited for the R to get back to Rottingdean

Did they let you use your voucher on the 27?. I wasn't allowed to use mine on the No.12, yet plenty of people on this forum say they used theirs on normal services from Lewes etc. I'm still mighty confused.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I was able to use my voucher on a 12 on Saturday into rottingdean and then back after the game. As long as you are within the travel zone then the voucher should be accepted by any Brighton and hove bus.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Going the R bus worked well on a Saturday, but not so well to the evening game.

Coming back it worked better at the night game than the day game.

But the best by far, is the Racecourse P&R. I suggest all those waiting forever to go to Mill Road think about changing parking paces.

TB

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I wouldn't mind start walking back to Rottingdean. However there is not a decent path back until you get to the pub at the top of the hill.

I wonder if anyone does walk this for people living in Woddingdean?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I wouldn't mind start walking back to Rottingdean. However there is not a decent path back until you get to the pub at the top of the hill.

I have seen people walking it but it looks quite treacherous.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I have seen people walking it but it looks quite treacherous.

I know its a very expensive job, and I know it might take a long time, but If the council could put a path along there one day it would make a big difference.

Not just for the stadium, but would provide another link to the University and Brighton for pedestrians and cyclists.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton

I walked back to Woodingdean on Tuesday night

From leaving the WSU, I was at the Woodingdean cross roads 40mins later.

Tricky walk back though - despite the moon being out it was pitch black made worse by being blinded by car headlights on the road. I saw one chap take a tumble into a bush although I think he'd had a couple so was fairly unsteady on his feet anyway.

A flat, hard-ish surface on that parth would be great - not just for intrepid Albion fans but also for others wanting a decent route between Falmer & Woodingdean, Rottingdean etc.

I saw someone cycling on it Tuesday night - not great at all in the dark with buses trying to pass

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Forgot to say - when I got to the top of the hill (by the corner) I stopped for a brief rest (the half-time pie & Harveys needed to settle) and turned to look back to the stadium - wow. It looked amazing. It was the first time I'd seen it at night all lit up.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I walked back to Woodingdean on Tuesday night

From leaving the WSU, I was at the Woodingdean cross roads 40mins later.

Tricky walk back though - despite the moon being out it was pitch black made worse by being blinded by car headlights on the road. I saw one chap take a tumble into a bush although I think he'd had a couple so was fairly unsteady on his feet anyway.

A flat, hard-ish surface on that parth would be great - not just for intrepid Albion fans but also for others wanting a decent route between Falmer & Woodingdean, Rottingdean etc.

I saw someone cycling on it Tuesday night - not great at all in the dark with buses trying to pass

Now you have ventured I might take the opportunity to do the same. Ok its 40 mins, but It beats hanging around.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I will be walking alot, there is a footpath that runs all the way up to the top of Bexhill road. But it seems to start a little further up Falmer road, not right outside the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here