Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Building a Team Around Vicente - Good Idea?

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Building a team around one player is not necessarily a good idea. I suppose
it's only possible if the manager has a viable Plan B in case the player team
is built around gets injured or is on low form.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Vicente as our creative hub, hopefully with Assulin and JFC as understudies.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
What must CMS think?? I thought we were building team around him. Well we were last season apparently.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Kuszczak is the best goalkeeper in the league, Vicente the best midfielder. CMS and Buckley are class and Bridcutt another level. Greer is solid as a rock and our bench is briming with options.

I absolutely cannot wait to see this team in action.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Kuszczak is the best goalkeeper in the league, Vicente the best midfielder. CMS and Buckley are class and Bridcutt another level. Greer is solid as a rock and our bench is briming with options.

I absolutely cannot wait to see this team in action.

Er, you did, last season. Minus Kuszczak, obviously.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Last season at around this time Gus was saying he would build the team around CMS.

No disrespect but it didn't even begin to work.

Building a team round a midfielder is easier though and if it means we will get the ball forward with a bit more pace so that CMS can play to his strengths instead of waiting for the forward pass that never comes I shall be very happy indeed. As others have said there are players in the squad able to learn the Vicente role and whilst we can't expect them to do it as well, at least if he is injured we will have a set style of play that wont need too much adaptation.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I might be wrong here but I doubt whether Assulin is in the same class as Vicente or has the potential of JFC.
Hope he proves me wrong but .......

You're probably dead right, my thinking on Assulin is he too could improve and would provide that competition with JFC to come on (or switch to) the 'Vicente' role on the occasions he is rested/injured.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I understand what the op means and he could well be right that it is a mistake to rely so much on Vicente........ but hell i don't really care, watching some of the stuff Vicente does in an Albion shirt is a pure joy and worth my season ticket price.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He's about 5-10 seconds ahead of the rest of the team.

That seems to be the trouble. He will be man marked as well. The tendency to look for Vicente when going forward is rather predictable.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Who has said we are building a team around Vicente? Has he signed?

Don't think Gus is the sort of manager to build a team around one player. He wants to build a team around a philosophy.

Agree Vicente was seconds ahead of everyone else. I'm hoping that Gus is planning on a few acquisitions that can address this (and a training regime to get the others up to speed.)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think JFC is the same sort of player as Vicente (he lies in a more central position and doesn't venture fo far forward) and Assulin hasn't got the same level of class (and he's not even a BHAFC player).

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Who has said we are building a team around Vicente? Has he signed?

Don't think Gus is the sort of manager to build a team around one player. He wants to build a team around a philosophy.

Agree Vicente was seconds ahead of everyone else. I'm hoping that Gus is planning on a few acquisitions that can address this (and a training regime to get the others up to speed.)

I think the assumption that we're building a team around him has come from us buying players to complement him.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This phrase building a team around..... Means nothing more than he's the first person on the team sheet very little else in reality it should result in the signing of better players but this will benefit us whether he plays or not.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not exactly courting popularity here but the natural understudy to Vicente is Harley.

He has natural ability. Hopefully he can have a good pre-season - build his attitude - and build his confidence.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not exactly courting popularity here but the natural understudy to Vicente is Harley.

tumblr_lv2dp205wa1qbklpr.gif

To be fair I can see where you are coming from.

Surely Craig Noone would be a natural understudy to Vicente?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've read a quote of Gus saying he wants to build a team around Vicente. We read the same last year about a team being built around CMS, and it clearly didn't happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here