Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget special - Great news for First time buyers

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gordon Brown has massively increased the stamp duty threshold from £ 120000 to £ 125000.

Thanks Gordon.

For nothing :angry:

oh and fags up 9p, wine up 4p and beer up 1p.

Jul 20, 2003
so all those properties that were on for 119,950 will all go up 5K

I guess

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Is it still £250,000 cut-off for the 1% stamp duty?

Jul 20, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Is it still £250,000 cut-off for the 1% stamp duty?

looks like it, can't find any further details

He's lumped an extra £50K on the IHT nil rate band, I assume it means one his family is about to DIE

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
pevenseagull said:
looks like it, can't find any further details

He's lumped an extra £50K on the IHT nil rate band, I assume it means one his family is about to DIE

People should use the 7 year gift rule and start to transfer the properties into their benefactors names well before their sixties.

Or indeed, my grandfather and grandmother split their house, so that when she died, half the property was left to my father and uncle etc. Good way to avoid IHT.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The increase means a lot more to people in the north who can still buy a three bedroom house and not pay stamp duty.

Jul 20, 2003
he's also reduced the rate of VAT on contraceptives and children's car seats to 5%

earth shattering budget this one, I'm tellin' ya

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Estate agents campaign this evening, call all vendors with properties on for up to £ 120000 and get them to increase the price to £ 125000 :angry:

Jul 20, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
People should use the 7 year gift rule and start to transfer the properties into their benefactors names well before their sixties.

Or indeed, my grandfather and grandmother split their house, so that when she died, half the property was left to my father and uncle etc. Good way to avoid IHT.

got to be careful with that, if he maintain use of the property and didn't pay a market rent it could be considered a gift with reservation and still be taxed (as of 1986)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
GREAT I'll be able to afford an even better SECOND home to buy to let with no added penalty.

:clap2: :clap2:

:shootself

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
pevenseagull said:
got to be careful with that, if he maintain use of the property and didn't pay a market rent it could be considered a gift with reservation and still be taxed (as of 1986)

I assume as they owned half the house the law referring to gift with reservation was invalid. I am not sure of the legal ramifications. They were both property lawyers, so I guess it was above board!

I guess this would only work for wealthy subjects, who can afford to pay the market rent, which would be soaked up in income tax of the new homeowner. Unless you can find a way around that.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Uncle Spielberg said:
Estate agents campaign this evening, call all vendors with properties on for up to £ 120000 and get them to increase the price to £ 125000 :angry:
Surely the advice would be to take the property off the market for a week and stick 5 grand on the asking price when it goes back on the market as a newly registered property.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
pevenseagull said:

But he still owned half the house. Perfectly legit. My Mum and Dad are doing the same thing. It makes sense. You can't tax a couple only the indavidual.

In theory you could pass a £600k house to the sprogs with no tax!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Uncle Spielberg said:
Gordon Brown has massively increased the stamp duty threshold from £ 120000 to £ 125000.

Thanks Gordon.

For nothing :angry:

oh and fags up 9p, wine up 4p and beer up 1p.

He quoted fags and wine increases in line with inflation .. i dont smoke but i didnt know they cost twice the amount of a bottle of wine !

Jul 20, 2003
Lammy said:
But he still owned half the house. Perfectly legit. My Mum and Dad are doing the same thing. It makes sense. You can't tax a couple only the indavidual.

In theory you could pass a £600k house to the sprogs with no tax!

I would guess that in this instance they are looking at bequeathing your nil rate band rather than the assett itself - that's fine - does the job

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Why doesn't he just abolish stamp duty for first time buyers?

This would truely help the young get on the ladder. It would also stop house prices rising to meet he threshold as current home owners would still have to pay the tax. He could then set a 25% stamp duty on all second homes. This would free up more of the more affordable houses for those that actually need them to live in rather than profit from. Simple really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here