Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buckley is a STRIKER, he's wasted on the wing

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but tonight just illustrated it yet again. So unlucky with that 1st half header off the post, but another expert finish once V had weaved his usual magic again.

Pace, strength, power, composure, movement, skill, height, and a predators finish in front of goal. Buckley needs to play down the middle, there's no two ways about it. His 8th goal in an injury-hit season when he's been in and out of the side...now he's consistantly fit, if he played up front I think we could easily hang 15-20 goals on him next season.

Someone please tell Gus. Buckley is utterly wasted out wide, he IS the striker we are looking for, whether that be with CMS or A.N. Other.

So there.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but tonight just illustrated it yet again. So unlucky with that 1st half header off the post, but another expert finish once V had weaved his usual magic again.

Pace, strength, power, composure, movement, skill, height, and a predators finish in front of goal. Buckley needs to play down the middle, there's no two ways about it. His 8th goal in an injury-hit season when he's been in and out of the side...now he's consistantly fit, if he played up front I think we could easily hang 15-20 goals on him next season.

Someone please tell Gus. Buckley is utterly wasted out wide, he IS the striker we are looking for, whether that be with CMS or A.N. Other.

So there.

Will he still be allowed to go down the wing for me if he wants?

Admit he is class in front of goal. Could be a good striker.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Buckley is a STRIKER, he's wasted on the wing
and when he's shagging Beckham he does it Tantric like Sting

oh I thought it was one of those Posh Spice threads...carry on

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yup, and Barnes is the box to box midfielder we are looking for.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

So there.

Was thinking the same during the game. Then forgot about it. It'd be worth a try.

Strange to give the first half header as an example of his skill. Free header five yards out and he couldn't get it on target. Good finisher on the ground but has shown no willingness to compete with defenders in the air all season. For that reason he is not the all round striker we need.

No way is he a striker. He's a midfielder who can score goals, and does.
We need strikerwho can pick up scraps from his and KLL's shooting if a keeper parries the ball, which we have.
We also have defensive midfielders, and players who get all the way back to help out.

Calderon could be a striker. It might be his best position.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No way is he a striker. He's a midfielder who can score goals, and does.
We need strikerwho can pick up scraps from his and KLL's shooting if a keeper parries the ball, which we have.
We also have defensive midfielders, and players who get all the way back to help out.

Calderon could be a striker. It might be his best position.

I was sort of hoping Will Buckley could be our box-to-box midfielder we have been looking for, arriving in the opposing box to score goals at about ten a season. It has taken longer than expected (if it is ever going to happen) because he is better going forward than tracking back. But if he sits deeper, Vicente can do the tracking back in the Elliott Bennett role. Will Buckley seems to have the stamina for the more central role (diagonal movement from left half to right wing in old money).

He is good on the right wing, but as it is impossible to have two wingers playing continuously (can only play on one wing at a time), it is possible to play him as a midfielder and Kazenga on the left (once he can concentrate on trapping the ball instantly like Buckley can).

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I must admit a few people in our group have speculated through the season whether Buckley could play the 'second' striker role behind CMS. It would be harder for him to fulfil that role all the time Vicente is pulling the strings in the centre of 3 attacking midfielders but it would certainly be interesting to see Gus experiment with something like that for the last couple of games!

westy

Jul 25, 2003

So there.

Been saying this for months. Natural finisher. Classy and composed infront of goal. Id like to see him play up top with CMS in the hole.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Buckley is a STRIKER, he's wasted on the wing,
and when he scores a goal, the North stand likes to sing :)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Buckley is a STRIKER, he's wasted on the wing,
Gus needs to play him in the correct positoning :D

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
He originally started out as a striker when he first started playing and he does say that is his prefered position on the pitch. But he's happy to play where needed.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
He's much better arriving and running from deep, he would be hopeless as the furthest man forward. Not good at winning or even challenging for headers when the ball is hit long from the keeper/defense, he just seems to collapse.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

So there.

Dear Mr 10

Not that I am disagreeing with you about this post and not having attending the game for obvious reasons, was it not CMS whose header came of the post and bounced into the goalie's arms? My only evidence for this was seeing the 45 seconds highlights on SSN at 6am this morning, so I may have been seeing things and am happy to be put right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here