Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Buckingham Arms Shoreham

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It’s still Keith, or least I saw him in there a couple of weeks ago.

Arguably the best pub in Shoreham depending on what you value though. Great boozer.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

Arguably the best pub in Shoreham depending on what you value though. Great boozer.
Thank you.

Used to be my local from Brian and Christine, Alan and Rosemary and then some couple took over forget there names but did not like them. Then Keith took over with Kelly? then i left Shoreham.

Going to Shoreham next week first time in a long time and i will pop in then.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thank you.

Used to be my local from Brian and Christine, Alan and Rosemary and then some couple took over forget there names but did not like them. Then Keith took over with Kelly? then i left Shoreham.

Yes he is still there

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Was chatting to the landlord of the Ferry Inn a couple of weeks back. They have made a major effort to change the place and its clientele and he was telling me Shoreham needed shaking up as everything was too samey. I think they have done a good job with the Ferry and hope they find a new niche, but for me Shoreham still has many great pubs and bars. Whether you want a wine bar feel, old fashioned boozer, food led or music led establishment there is something for all tastes. Sport is a little more subtle. The TVs in the Buckingham Arms for example revert to picture framed mirrors when switched off which is a nice touch.

theboybilly

Thank you.

The Buck had a major re furb about 3 years ago (time flies) and is much more open plan. Still a great pub and Keith runs it really well. Not such a selection of real ales now though which was a great selling point. I've not tried the 'new' Ferry Inn yet as I use the Old Star as my main Shoreham pub. All the less inviting pubs (Burrells, Morning Star, Surrey) have long gone and Shoreham just seems a nice place to wander around now (despite all those monstrous new blocks of flats)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The Buck had a major re furb about 3 years ago (time flies) and is much more open plan. Still a great pub and Keith runs it really well. Not such a selection of real ales now though which was a great selling point. I've not tried the 'new' Ferry Inn yet as I use the Old Star as my main Shoreham pub. All the less inviting pubs (Burrells, Morning Star, Surrey) have long gone and Shoreham just seems a nice place to wander around now (despite all those monstrous new blocks of flats)
No cask in the Ferry Inn, so probably not for you.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is the bucket of blood still going strong? (Royal Sovereign)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I remember going in the Kings Head, think it was Watneys
I think it was! It also had cider from the wood iirc. The only pub I was ever thrown out of for being underage.

On a slightly wider point I don't think Shoreham has suffered as much from pub closures as some other places. There was the Hebe and the Surry Arms but both those went decades ago long before the modern cull. Also the Rising Sun, but I don't know when that went. Oh, and the Burrell Arms, although that's now a nice restaurant.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh yes, but you may have to explain the bucket of blood reference?
Opposite the Dorset Street Bar in Brighton there's a plaque to Sussex boxer Tom Sayers who was champion of England. It's on the wall of the Brighton Guitar & Amp shop. Tom was born near here in the early 19th century when the area was called Pimlico.

Tom also trained in Shoreham and often fought bouts in the yard of a pub. The fights were pretty vicious bloody affairs. So much so that the pub got the name 'the Bucket O' Blood'. That pub was the Royal Sovereign.

My Mum worked in the Royal Sovereign in the 1970s and 80s. I then worked there in the late eighties. Some fantastic characters. My Mum learned this story from a local Shoreham historian who used to drink in the pub.

Our Tom...

1720435799249.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite a bit longer than three years now. Nearer 6?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Always liked the Buck. And they do keep it spotlessly clean, always quick to remove glasses from the tables and get them wiped down. Just a pity they don't do some SCRAN in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here