Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Vision

Anyone on here use BT Vision and is it any good? Fed up with Sky raising prices as they see fit and realised that most of what we watch would be on Freesat anyway. Sport is the only exception so wth BT Vision getting SS1&2 as well as ESPN, this may be a goer but I don't know anyone who has it.

I'm wading through their website and I can't quite fathom out if you need a Freeview signal to get Sky Sports or if it comes via ADSL. Despite being able to see the transmitter from our back window, the signal is only broadcast north at present so unless I can get a signal from Hastings then Freeview is a non starter for the next couple of years.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm wading through their website and I can't quite fathom out if you need a Freeview signal to get Sky Sports or if it comes via ADSL. Despite being able to see the transmitter from our back window, the signal is only broadcast north at present so unless I can get a signal from Hastings then Freeview is a non starter for the next couple of years.

Bt Vision comes through the phone line.

Spoon

May 31, 2009
Very good, best feature is the On Demand where you can access most old programmes, mainly for free. Basically is freeview, although I have ESPN too, plus a recording service which is great and you can pause tv etc. well worth it, good price too

Bt Vision comes through the phone line.
Sadly looks as though that is not strictly true:

BT Vision gives you a huge range of on-demand films, TV shows, sport and music videos, as well as interactive services, Freeview television channels and digital radio stations – all through your TV. Watch what you want, when you want – without any compulsory TV subscription commitments.

Your Vision+ box™ set top box connects to your existing TV aerial to get Freeview TV channels and digital radio. At the same time, the Vision+ box connects to your BT Broadband line via the BT Home Hub to access on demand films, programmes and music. It's quick and easy to install yourself.

I'm guessing that Sky Sports comes through Freeview as someone posted on here the other day so no Freeview signal = only on demand stuff. Looks like I am stuck with Sky until 2012. :(

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very good, best feature is the On Demand where you can access most old programmes, mainly for free. Basically is freeview, although I have ESPN too, plus a recording service which is great and you can pause tv etc. well worth it, good price too

But freeview is FREE... That's my one thing with BT vision (as well as the fact their broadband is over priced). You have to pay £17 to get the basic package which really isn't worth it as it's basically freeview?

Top Up TV has ruined my plans by charging so much (£23) for Sky Sports 1. If only they'd sone it for like £15 - they'd get a lot more subscribers...

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
BT vision is brilliant, much better than sky IMO :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
BT vision is brilliant, much better than sky IMO :thumbsup:

So what makes it worth the £17-99 tho? It only has the same channels as freeview doesnt it? You can get broadband / BT Vision / Sky Sports on a 2 yr deal for £25 a month - thought the broadband is overpriced - I have 02 and its brill and only £7 a month. Saying that I'd effectively be paying £18 extra a month for BT Vision plus SS1 - is it worth it or should I hold out for freeview/Top Up TV to offer a better deal on sky sports - i really don't know what to do!!!

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Not very good.It freezes during live tv and like others have said its really just freeview with old films and cartoons etc you can watch.Plus bt ask you to sign a 24 month contract.
And sky will move games etc to sky sports 3 and 4

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think i'll wait and see if sky move games etc but ofcom will be all over them if they do. And i'm sure part of the ruling was they cant take the piss.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
So what makes it worth the £17-99 tho? It only has the same channels as freeview doesnt it? You can get broadband / BT Vision / Sky Sports on a 2 yr deal for £25 a month - thought the broadband is overpriced - I have 02 and its brill and only £7 a month. Saying that I'd effectively be paying £18 extra a month for BT Vision plus SS1 - is it worth it or should I hold out for freeview/Top Up TV to offer a better deal on sky sports - i really don't know what to do!!!

BT Vision is great. Looking forward to having Sky Sports in a couple of days. The advantage over freeview is that you constantly have access to masses of on demand programmes which you can watch at the click of a button, you can pay £3 or so to watch recently released films (in normal or HD), and you can record and pause live TV... Its well worth the cost in my opinion. When it upgrades to HD eventually, it will be even better...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sadly looks as though that is not strictly true:

BT Vision gives you a huge range of on-demand films, TV shows, sport and music videos, as well as interactive services, Freeview television channels and digital radio stations – all through your TV. Watch what you want, when you want – without any compulsory TV subscription commitments.

Your Vision+ box™ set top box connects to your existing TV aerial to get Freeview TV channels and digital radio. At the same time, the Vision+ box connects to your BT Broadband line via the BT Home Hub to access on demand films, programmes and music. It's quick and easy to install yourself.

Apologies. I was always under the impression that all channels came through the phone line :blush:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've had BT vision for a couple of years and am happy with it.
ive got the music and film packages and am never short of stuff to watch. music is loads of old videos, film is 10 new films a week (many of them rubbish, but some classics). you get espn as well.
have just upgraded to sky for extra 11.99 a month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here