Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Broadband provider

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm currently with Tiscali and very unhappy, I had also changed our phone line to them and the package that came with that was pony.

When I last asked this question, Virgin media seemed to come out on top.
But I'm now in the process of changing the phone back to BT and looking at Virgin, their B/band deal is pretty rubbish unless I change the phone line, as well.

BT seems to give me a lot more for less, inc free home hub (whatever that is).

Any advise would be greatly appriciated as t'internet is beyond me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I use Fastnet (who are based in Brighton) for business use which also covers my home use and although they may be more expensive than most i have not had more than 1/2 hours down time in 5 years.

No idea if they do home use only, amybe worth a ring?

Very helpful when I have had any queries too and the phone gets answered and put through to a tecchie immediately or they call you back within half an hour. No "on hold "for 15 mins + shite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm using Virgin Media for the phone and broadband. No issues whatsoever, service is excellent. I'm paying £18 a month for the lot, and getting free calls to landlines for 12 months (think that runs out in November).

scooter1

How soon is now?
We went for Virgin, primarily as we couldn't get a decent TV picture via the aerial and went for their whole tv/phone/broadband package. I have to say its ok, the service surprisingly has been really good - even when I had a billing query. I expected to be hold in Delhi for hours, but it was all resolved(albeit in Delhi) in a few mins. The video streaming isn't the best, I think there may be bandwidth issues at the Virgin end, but as for skagging music its dead quick

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I'm using Virgin Media for the phone and broadband. No issues whatsoever, service is excellent. I'm paying £18 a month for the lot, and getting free calls to landlines for 12 months (think that runs out in November).

ditto the above

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
None of us knew what we were doing in terms of who to go for, how to set it up etc for our Uni house last year.

We went with BT, and got the home hub etc set up in no time at all. Plus they gave us the 1st 3 months for £9.99 and also gave us £30 for signing up online.

Very good service too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Virgin Broadband was unavailable one evening about two months back, but it was back the next day. Other than that I've had uninterrupted connection. On the whole its been very good, although I guess there are always going to be localised issues now and then that will affect service for some.

Can't complain at what I'm paying though.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
DONT use Pipex they're absolute PONY!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm with BT and they have been superb for me

I'm just about sold on them.
I have slight reservations about being on a 'monthly allowance', instead of unlimited. But as I'm normally only ever loitering around here, and don't download TV and wifey only does a little music I doubt it will be a problem.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was with Tiscali for broadband until a couple of weeks ago, now with O2, far faster and a lot cheaper...they give me a fiver off because they are also my mobile phone provider...bargain!

Tiscali had got so slow that they were almost as poor as the bad old days with dial-up, pages refusing to load, not being able to get a connection, etc, etc.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I'd go for Virgin if where you live is cabled up. I didn't choose Virgin, thye chose me after I started with Telewest, but the service is fine. You also have the potential for much faster downloads with cable rather than phone lines - I think!!

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
I'm with Virgin and I don't like it. My connection goes off too often and whenever you phone they just say that theres a problem in the area. Quite frustrating.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yet to have a problem with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange :)

I've had Wanadoo and then Orange Broadband for 2 years now without issue. Performance is very good and dropped connections a re very rare (as opposed to a mate of mine on Sky who says it happens at least once per day).

When I first got it it was quick and simple to set up out of the box and the customer service has always been prompt and helpful on the odd occasion I've needed them.

I pay £24 a month for Home Max. This gives a free wireless router and USB wireless adapter and unlimited broadband at speeds up to 8MBs but I get around 3.5.

It also includes a BT phone in the cost for which you get free UK weekend and evening calls. Also, you can plug a phone into the Live Box (router/home hub) and if you use that phone you get free UK calls, free international calls (my Mrs phones Australia frequently for free) and free calls to Orange mobiles.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Oh, and I would strongly advise comparing the costs of calling for technical support as it can vary massively. Some charge local rate but some can charge 50p or more per minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here