Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Media/Press

Hants Gull

Jul 15, 2009
Zürich, Switzerland
I moved abroad a couple of years ago but have very much continued following the Albion and England football team. The British media with their obsesive desire to publish negativity in order to sell a few stories about our sports teams has angered me for as long as I can remember. In fact, the last time I can really remember the media getting behind our country was during Euro 96 when I can remember people commenting on how the general atmosphere around the country was buzzing with positivity (until a few pens against the Germans braught a sudden end to it all). Since then, all I ever saw in the press before any tournament were damaging stories about star players, managers and anyone related to the England teams that would surely only lessen our chances of success.

I had hoped that this year of all years, the British media might try to write some stories of encouragement for our sports stars representing our country. I know that in most countries this would be the case. As I said at the start of this post, I haven't lived in UK for a couple of years, so I'm intersted to know if what I read on the UK news sites is a true representation of the overall vibe that is being sent out to the British public. For instance, before the Euros, all I saw were stories about how Harry should have been England manager, including as many quotes from various "footballing experts" who supported this notion. This was then followed by never ending hype about how Ferdinand should have been picked ete etc... I didn't see one positive story about our team. Then all I read about the Olympics are hundreds of stories about Golden Nuts not being picked for the GB team, including quotes from Erikson and co. (proven clueless fools) who all say that he should have been picked. Again, not one positive story about the young players who have been picked and what our chances might be.

Is the reporting in the press a true representation of the general feel towards our sporting stars in UK (i.e. does no one actually care about getting behind our teams) or are they so out of practise at writing positive news that they just don't know what else to write? Certainly the message that comes across to people overseas is that England/UK thrive on failure and are just waiting for the Olympics to fail. I really hope this is not the case!!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lot of issues there - but just quickly on the Olympics, that's a joke right? Never has there been a sporting event in this country with so little negative coverage, Coe has the media in his pocket (all of them, papers and TV/radio). The BBC are so tied up in it they wouldn't dare to run a really bad story, much as with Wimbledon.

Hants Gull

Jul 15, 2009
Zürich, Switzerland
Like I say, I'm living abroad so I only get the snippets that I read on the BBC and other UK websites. I'm really pleased if there's positive coverage comoing out (as one would expect). It's just filtering out over here so much, which is why I raised the question as to what it was really like in UK at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here