Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Hostages

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The news is very sad regarding the two hostages being killed but I wondered if people felt the same as me.

There are loads of instances done the years where "joe public" have placed themselves in extreme danger abroad in chasing the "golden nugget" but when the inevitable kidnap or death occurs there's this great outpouring of grieve etc. I have to ask. have these people truly thought about their decisions and the impact they have on their loved ones?

When that chap from Liverpool was decapitated it appeared suddenly that all of Liverpool knew him. If so why didn't someone tell him it was bloody dangerous and expect not to come home?

Meanwhile the families question the involvement of our government and why they haven't done more etc. But really should they? Should they spend time, resources and fundamentally money on people who put themselves, under no duress, in a situation that could be totally avoided, only but to make a quick buck!

People signing up for the military are completely different for they are employed and acting directly for the government and so should be totally backed by us and are not!

Last edited:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I agree in what you are saying in some respects. The Governemt has a "duty of care" towards its patrons (I.e British public), and should do all it can to assist and defend its countrymen in situations in need. However persons who knowlingly put themselves in danger despite government guidelines not to, must heed the blame. You would have to be stark raving mad to go out to places like Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I am not a supporter of the current government, but they cannot be to blame for the actions of a select few, who despite all thier heroics and beliefs in aid agencies etc etc who wput thier lives on the line despite warnings not to.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Meanwhile the families question the involvement of our government and why they haven't done more etc. But really should they?

If it was a newsreader (who is still the same sort of person as you are describing) or other famous person (such as Ross Kemp) a lot more would have been done and it would have been in the news every day. Because it was "Joe Public" nobody gave it a second thought after the initial minor news reports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here