Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British blood not good enough for America

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The office I work at was having a blood donor drive because of a shortage of blood in New York. I found out from the American Red Cross donor guidelines that any Brit who lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for a period of 3 months is not eligible because of ‘Mad Cow disease’

http://www.redcross.org/en/eligibility#vcjd2

“At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

* Channel Islands
* England
* Falkland Islands
* Gibraltar
* Isle of Man
* Northern Ireland
* Scotland
* Wales”

I was not aware of this and was pretty shocked as this probably rules out the majority of Brits who live in the US. I’m generally a supporter of most things American but this is complete bollocks - no wonder they’ve got a shortage. I’d be interested to find out if other countries have similar guidelines.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Had the same thing happen to me after 9-11. My American wife often donates blood, but they wouldn't take mine.
They still also have a ban on British meat products in relation to mad cow, including Bovril, Ox tail soup and............Pork sausages.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I would guess they must have done some kind of risk analysis and decided the chances of a contaminated blood product (with the inevitable lawsuits) outweigh the benefits - still seems like flawed logic to me. I’d imagine in an emergency, given the choice, an American would take the risk if the only blood on offer was British.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was once accosted outside a blood donor centre in Boston and when I said that I gave in London, the woman who was soliciting donors started screaming "We don't want your blood anyway. Mad cow" and followed me for a few steps repeating the words "Mad cow, mad cow". Very appropriate I thought.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Same thing in New Zealand, all down to Mad Cow Disease. Not that I'd give my blood to any of the feckers anyway.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
same in Oz, they have systematically refused my blood for 15 years now beacuse I was livving in the UK during the mad cow years (tha'ts not Thatcher but the disease outbreak)...
A few years back there was even a suggestion in WA (where there's a shitload of expat Brits) when they had a sever bloob d bank shortage that they set up a separate blood bank for us as we shouldn't get the "clean" Aussie blood but be restricted to our own taintend strain!!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I was once accosted outside a blood donor centre in Boston and when I said that I gave in London, the woman who was soliciting donors started screaming "We don't want your blood anyway. Mad cow" and followed me for a few steps repeating the words "Mad cow, mad cow". Very appropriate I thought.

And they wonder why the rest of the world dislikes them!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Amazing, far too many Americans suffer from Stupid Twat Disease. Given that HIV is so common there a bit of Mad Cow is nothing.

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
You lot are SO ignorant! I thought everyone knew how this ban came about.

The yanks noticed that a Brit had married one of their nastiest women and were so shocked that anyone would want her that they immediately declared the ban because "you'd have to be MAD to marry that COW" and they didn't want any mad blood getting into their system. Even though the Brit then dumped the woman and married a mail-order bride from the far east instead, the damage had been done and they couldn't be arsed to change the policy.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
To be fair to the Septics, British blood is not good enough for us in some cases.

All FFP (fresh frozen plasma, the stuff that makes your blood clot if you're bleeding) for paediatric use (under 16's) comes from non-UK scources.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
To be fair to the Septics, British blood is not good enough for us in some cases.

All FFP (fresh frozen plasma, the stuff that makes your blood clot if you're bleeding) for paediatric use (under 16's) comes from non-UK scources.

FFS if they want the stuff that clots, they only have to ask. Ive had three bloody DVT's in the last few years, I think i could spare about 7 pints worth :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We're not exactly welcoming either. If you visit america between may and september (I think) you can be disallowed. If you've slept with a woman who's slept with a man who might have slept with another man you're not allowed. If you've accepted sex as payment you can't donate. etc.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Similar rules in Ireland, except its anyone who LIVED in Britain during that time. Which is pretty much everyone.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My British blood isn't good enough to be taken in this country, far less any other.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
ive had one as well, did you get yours after a flight ?

No mate, i ruptured two discs in my back which left me pretty immobile, then drove from Glasgow to Brighton and then the next day back up to Stoke for football. By the time i got to the Brittania my leg was about twice the size it should have been.
Im also Drive Lorrys for a living, which again due to sitting on my arse for long periods led to the other two.
Im sure you've been told Bushy, once you've had one its much easier to have another, so keep yourself active mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here