Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol to Gatwickish this afternoon, avoiding M25

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Around 2, I'll be leaving Bristol heading for the Gatwick area. The last time I did this trip, the M4 was free-flowing but I got stuck on the M25 for ages in stop-start traffic, with the 'stops' being far longer than the 'starts'.

I was contemplating telling TomTom to avoid the M25 this afternoon, figuring it might take me off the M4 around Reading to cut across.

However, what do the great and the good of NSC say? Is there a good option available that means I will avoid any M25 badness?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just grin and bear it. All the other routes would take FOREVER.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
You could go cross country from Guildford to Horsham, but personally I'd stick to the M25. All traffic in that area will be busy on a Friday afternoon. I'm assuming you are using the Bracknell shortcut onto the M3 to avoid Heathrow.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Cut across through Bracknell, M3 and back onto the M25 that way. Quite a bit quicker and misses the worst bit of the M25 round M4 junction.

This, definitely. You will still be on the M25 for a while but it does tend to miss the worse of it and all other routes will be smaller roads and just as congested.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You could go cross country from Guildford to Horsham, but personally I'd stick to the M25. All traffic in that area will be busy on a Friday afternoon. I'm assuming you are using the Bracknell shortcut onto the M3 to avoid Heathrow.

No I wasn't I went direct M4 -> M25.

What road/junction should I come off the M4 at?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I can't remember what junction but I would always come off at the Bracknell junction and go through Oxshot down to Guildford and pick up the 281 to Broadbridge Heath.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I usually head south at Newbury and pick up the A272 from Winchester. 30 mins longer on paper but it means you avoid all the Friday traffic trying to get to and from that London. Of course you might then get stuck behind a tractor.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most Sat navs take you off the M4 at jcn 10 on to the A329 and through Bracknell then back on the M3 and M25. You could stay on the road to Guildford and then A 25 to Reigate but it will take ages getting through Guildford and Dorking or the A281 to Broadbridge Heath. Another way is Bristol, Bath A303 then A272 through Midhurst to Bolney but again too many hold ups or even A34 near Reading to A272 but the A272 isnt a good fast road.

Try; head down A36 to the M27 at Southampton, then you get past Chichester head left towards Arundel (road passing toward SLINDON just north-west of the town), through on the A29-A264 that gets you to Crawley where you meet the A23 and a short run up to Gatwick.

There are ways off the main roads if they get stuffed up, which are glorious tracks through lovely Downs scenery.... worth doing if you have more time anyway.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Wouldnt advise Chichester route, isnt Goodwood festival on this weekend

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Get someone with a computer to check traffic using Google traffic maps and text you when you're around Reading. If it is severly congested then maybe worth missing, but otherwise any other route will take a lot longer. I often do the reverse on a Friday night, except coming from north London to Bristol, but usually the M25 around the M4 isn't too bad unless there has been an accident. That's normally at about 6pm though so may be a little different.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Try; head down A36 to the M27 at Southampton, then you get past Chichester head left towards Arundel (road passing toward SLINDON just north-west of the town), through on the A29-A264 that gets you to Crawley where you meet the A23 and a short run up to Gatwick.

There are ways off the main roads if they get stuffed up, which are glorious tracks through lovely Downs scenery.... worth doing if you have more time anyway.

Chichester on a Friday afternoon is a nightmare. About 6 roundabouts in 6 miles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here