Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton whistleblower nurse sacked

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BBC NEWS | England | Sussex | Secret filming nurse struck off

A nurse who secretly filmed for the BBC to reveal the neglect of elderly patients at a hospital has been struck off for misconduct. Margaret Haywood, 58, filmed at the Royal Sussex Hospital in Brighton for a BBC Panorama programme in July 2005.

She was struck off by the Nursing and Midwifery Council on Thursday after being a nurse for more than 20 years. The panel said she "followed the behest of the filmmakers... rather than her obligations as a nurse".

Ms Haywood, of Liverpool, said: "I was convinced that it was the right thing to do at the time as, in fact, I had reported the issues and nothing had been done. I felt I owed it to the people on the ward."

She was found guilty of misconduct on Wednesday following a fitness to practise hearing. The chair of the panel, Linda Read, said Ms Haywood had prioritised the filming and did not fulfil her obligations as a nurse.

"In the view of the panel, this was a major breach of the code of conduct. A patient should be able to trust a nurse with his/her physical condition and psychological wellbeing without that confidential information being disclosed to others. Although the conditions on the ward were dreadful, it was not necessary to breach confidentiality to seek to improve them by the method chosen.

She said the misconduct was "fundamentally incompatible with being a nurse".

"The registrant embarked upon filming many vulnerable, elderly patients in the last stages of their lives, knowing that it was unlikely that they would be able to give any meaningful consent to that process, in circumstances where their dignity was most compromised. The registrant could have attempted to address shortcomings by other means. But this was never a course of action which she fully considered."

Ms Haywood had admitted breaching patient confidentiality but denied her fitness to practise had been impaired.

Elizabeth Bloor, the BBC programme's producer, told the hearing there had been "an over-arching public interest" to produce the Undercover Nurse documentary because Panorama had received up to 5,000 complaints about conditions. She also said that questions had been asked in the House of Commons about the issues investigated, and the Royal College of Nursing conducted research into patient dignity on hospital wards in the wake of its broadcast.

In November the panel found no evidence that Ms Haywood broke the NHS Trust's policy on whistle-blowing by raising concerns about patient care in the documentary, or that she failed to assist colleagues when a patient was having a seizure.

A BBC spokesman said: "There was clearly a strong public interest in revealing that some elderly people were not receiving the level of care we expect from our national health service. Panorama believes that Margaret Haywood has done the elderly population of this country a great service."

The decision was criticised by Joyce Robins, co-director of Patient Concern. She said: "This just demonstrates the priorities of the regulators - rules come before patients every time. The message that goes out to nurses is: however badly you see patients treated, keep your face shut. This makes total nonsense of all the talk about openness and transparency in the NHS. Cover-up is the order of the game."

Ms Haywood's actions were also defended by Gary Fitzgerald, chief executive of Action on Elder Abuse. He said: "We know that we're seeing older people suffering the most appalling care and neglect too often in our care environments. In that context I believe what Margaret Haywood did and what Panorama did was right and proper. She said the public needs to be aware of what exactly's going on in these places, in these wards, we didn't have any other way of telling them and I think that's the point".

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Usual "horse-door-bolted" reaction from the regulatory powers. The same happens when teachers video classes - rather than address the problem, that has been evidenced by someone, they would rather sack the person concerned, set up a working party and an action team, and then come to the same conclusion 5 years later. These powers need to wake up to the "Youtube" ethos of today - the police have had their videoing powers turned around on them, as have local councils, etc, and it's about time the idiots in their ivory towers took the same approach.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The NMC has said that I'm not allowed to have an opinion about this, despite it's policy encouraging whistle-blowing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine if the TV show had been 'look how wonderful things are' nothing would have been done, but because it showed where the hospital is failing, they were embarrassed and if the story is "nurse breached confidentiality" then the story isn't "hospital failing".

I imagine most people would prefer to lose some confidentiality if it meant action would be taken to stop people dying.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
When the nurses organisation sides with the hospital management in keeping falling standards under wraps its no wonder The Sussex has problems.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, I wouldn't want her giving me a bed-bath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here