Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BRIGHTON vs Cheltenham - player ratings

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Henderson - 7- couldn't do anything about the goal. Solid performance, aside from one kick and one fumble!
Whing 7 - everyone around me was saying he was awful. I thought he was alright defensively. Maybe distribution could be improved.
Hinshelwood 7 - strong, i hope the injury isn't serious
Lynch 6 - quiet first half, fairly decent in the second
Rents 6 - didn't do that much
Cox - 6 - again, failed to live up to his performance midweek
Hammond - 7 - good header, good penalty, good display
Mayo - 7- solid display, good assist for goal
Fraser - 5- I quite like his style of play (he chases EVERYTHING), but he still didn't do anything to convince me he's a winger
Revell - 6- hard working, won the penalty
Robinson - 6 - one moment of magic, little else.

subs;
John - 7 - looked lively
Hart - 6 - WHAT a tackle. Lucky not to be sent off:lolol:

Overall a good result after a fairly ordinary performance. Still, it's the points that matter, and with 3 wins in a week you can't complain! (about to be proved wrong i expect!)

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I couldn't see the tackle from the south stand, but all I saw was Hart on the floor and a cheltenham player flying through the air!

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Henderson - 6- Scared me again tonight on a few occasions, lost his head and stupidy got involved to get himself booked.
Whing 6 - Distribution must be improved but cant always blame defender for lack of movement ahead of them. Solid defensively.
Hinshelwood 6 - Missed too many headers and distribution very poor tonight
Lynch 6 - Average- coped better as second half went on
Rents 6 - Average
Cox - 6 - Another very quiet second half.
Hammond - 8 - Brilliant work rate, great movement at the set piece to get free and showed bottle to score penalty.
Mayo - 7- Solid.
Fraser - 6- Not a winger, looks great in the centre but just not natural wide right. Worked hard.
Revell - 7- hard work in the channels and showed some good touches
Robinson - 7 - Looked sharp at times, quiet in second half.

subs;
John - 7 - looked good when he was given the ball, but looked very lively when he got the ball. Should be started on the right in place of fraser.
Hart - 6 - Didnt really do a lot apart from get skinned twice. Tackle was very mistimed rather than malicious.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Whole team was below the standard we need to get into the playoffs tonight. Saying that a win is a win and we are always shit against the poor teams and this alas will never change:nono:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Henderson - 4 very nearly a major cock-up
Whing - 7
Hinshelwood - 7 very worried about injury
Lynch - 6
Rents - 8
Cox - 5
Hammond - 9
Mayo - 7
Fraser - 5
Revell - 6
Robinson - 7

subs;
John - 6
Hart - 6

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I though Rents did OK 1st half, maybe a bit negative going forward but contained the quite tricky right winger pretty well I thought. 2nd half was the other end of the pitch and on the other side from me so can't really comment but he certainly didn't give anything away 1st half as far as I remember.

Fairly lucklustre performance all round after Jakes early miss (looked a bad miss from the North East corner which is quite far away in fairness) and they seemed far more up for it than we were.

Good 3 points given the display from us.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Withdean Wanderer said:
Fraser - 5- I quite like his style of play (he chases EVERYTHING), but he still didn't do anything to convince me he's a winger

5 ! you never stopped slagging him off all game.

Soild team performance deserving 6 and 7s all round for our players.

The only ones I really feel like singling out are Robinson and Revell. They were starved of effective service all night but because their attitude and workrate was first class, I always felt something might come of one of their runs.

Lo and behold the game-turning moment came thanks to a fine run by Revell to win the pen and for me that sums up our play at the moment, not always as silky and flair-abundant as we would ideally like, but always industrious and always with that extra 10% committment above the levels that the opposition are putting in. Plenty to admire about that.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think on this occasion, we have to be grateful for a win after a pretty uninspiring performance, and put it down to experience (all teams have to know how to "win ugly" after all).

I'd say the players were a little below par, rather than utterly appalling, tonight. Everyone's entitled to the odd dip in form, hopefully they all had it in the same match. Cox in particular showed up, but only because he's been so good all season.

Let's be honest guys, if that game had been in the McGhee era, we'd probably have been hailing it our best performance of the season, that's how much our standards have improved since the likes of the Blackpool game
:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can't be arsed with players ratings. Suffice to say if I had been in the position today that I was on Tuesday, young Joel would be quaffing free Champagne tonight, although Kerry ran him close. with the skipper third.

Aside from that, most players were cack tonight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
Soild team performance deserving 6 and 7s all round for our players.

The only ones I really feel like singling out are Robinson and Revell. They were starved of effective service all night but because their attitude and workrate was first class, I always felt something might come of one of their runs.

I agree but as they say a win is a win no matter how achieved.
#
Thought generally our entire midfield was a bit lacklustre tonight and obviously Cheltenham came to stop us scoring and gaina draw or sneak a win.

Thought the match was spoilt by a very poor ref who didnt appear to be at the same game as us. I am sure that he gave freekicks on a one for you and one for you basis. Suprised he didnt give them a penalty.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: BRIGHTON vs Cheltenham - player ratings

sir danny cullip said:
Henderson - lost his head and stupidy got involved to get himself booked.
When someone kicks your team mate while he is lying on the ground it does tend to piss you off.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was expecting him to give them a penalty just before they scored actually (another quality goal to concede, by the way...). One of our defenders was all over the striker when the ball was played into the box, and the ref went to blow for something, but seemed to stop. There I was, thinking "phew, no penalty", followed almost immediately by "Doh!", as Victory scored.

Shouldn't complain too much I guess, at least we're (usually) entertaining, with our frequently sparkling passing and movement at one end, and our comedy calamitous defending at the other.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
A good hard fought win.Had to sit near sit near some big fat twat with glasses shouting abuse and shit comments ever10 seconds

Henderson 6
Whing 7
Rents 7
Hinsh 7
Lynch 7
Fraser 4
Hammomd 9
Mayo 8
Cox 5
Robinson 5
Revall 6
Subs
John 6
Hart 5

Ref Monty 0(f***ing awful)
Crowd 5

Last edited:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Originally posted by The Complete

Cox 5 - I think his form is dipping slightly, . but again he wasn't at his best.

apart from his screamer against swansea and general play? doh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here