Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Plymouth - Discuss it here!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Excellent first half, excellent singing, excellent goals, and we managed to hang on. Good effort from Guy Butters. 5th place as well with a game in hand.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
TOP OF THE LEAGUE? YOU'RE HAVIN A LAUGH!!!!
just got back an that was "ruddy bloody brilliant" :lol:
gonna go and get sloshed now,we are going up say we are going up
nice long trip home plymouth :salute:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Excellent result and best atmosphere at home for ages.

Well done everyone - good week for the Albion.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Gaffer said:
Best Performance this season. I thought the Referee was good too!
ref was crap,the free kicks he gave against big ben and oatway were terrible!!! plus he didnt let the game flow
when a ref has one set of fans singing "the referees a wanker" and the other set of fans are singing "cheat cheat cheat" he is NOT good

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
TOP OF THE LEAGUE YOUR HAVING A LAUGH :lolol:

brilliant , well done lads , played there hearts out , roberts still looks a bit dodge but hes getting there.

WE ARE GOING UP, KTF!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gaffer said:
Best Performance this season. I thought the Referee was good too!

The ref was rubbish only the linesman was worse - what game were you at ?

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
First half was the best ive seen us play this season
good atmostphere in the singing section
Top of ther league you're havin a laugh!!!!
Does you're first team know your here!!!!! :clap2:

Last edited:

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Just got back, first half was brilliant, we made the top team in the division look very ordinary. Then a great resiliant performance in the 2nd half.

Well done for all the excellent support, maybe we should all stand up at future home games if the atmosphere is going to be like that.

Top of the league- Your having a laugh:p

The first half was quite easily the best 45 minutes of football we've played this season. The second half we defended solidly as Plymouth moved up a gear. Man of the match? Hard choice. Adam Virgo looked class tonight, but Danny Cullip gave a vintage performance. He was solid as a rock in the second half. Fantastic atmosphere too, the best this season.

I think this is a clear sign that McGhee's settling in period is over. The injuries and suspensions left him with a huge job of work, and credit to him, his ideas have paid off. He has concentrated on getting the defence and midfield tight and solid and making it hard for us to concede. We have been unlucky, particularly, away in having solid performances undermined by the odd slip and the odd goal.

The rejigging of the formation to 4-3-3 and the signing of Benjamin have been masterstrokes in making us more dangerous on offence. I really don't have a clue what Watto is doing in left midfield but is seems to be working well in breaking up opposition moves.

The other masterstoke McGhee has pulled is the resurrection of Adam Virgo after the Coppell freeze-out. It is the one clear thing we can point to that shows McGhee is a better manager than Coppell.

We scored two excellent goals today against a defence that is the best in the league. Superb passing moves and excellent finishers by our two top-class marksmen.

Benjamin particularly deserves praise, and Leon too although he faded disappointingly in the second half and is finding his wide left role a bit of slog on occasions I think.

But the real heroes today were Charlie Oatway and Adam Virgo, outstanding games from those two.

Virgo now seems a permanent fixture, his aerial strength is superb and complements the superb work of Cullip/Butters in that department. Today he showed another dimension with his play in the opposition half, his work for Leon's goal, a lovely bit of trickery wide out on the South Stand touchline, was brilliant.

Charlie eh, who'd have thought? That's another resurrection that's bigger than Jesus's. He was everywhere today and it was his drive and command of midfield in the first-half that provided the platform for victory.

Piercy is such a cultured player and always does interesting things with the ball, it was a shame we lost him, fingers crossed the injury is not serious.

OGH came on and was trying a bit too hard and couldn't get his passing right. But I wouldn't blame him, there was always going to be a fading from the superb standards we set in the first half. A few guys tired and were'nt getting into the right positions to take passes, and inevitably Plymouth gained the upper hand playing catch-up.

But remember, this is a team that has been scoring goals for fun and they had a huge amount of ball to play with in the second half. They never looked like scoring at all until the scappy goal at the end which caught our centre-backs a bit on their heels. Ben made a brilliant save at full stretch and was unlucky the ball fell straight to the striker, but who cares, it didn't matter. The lesson I draw from this is that our defence is so good that it can even absorb a lot of pressure from good sides and stay afloat.

I can remember having an exchange with Guinness Boy when he said he admired my optimism for thinking we would get 6 pts from three tough games against top 6 teams QPR, Barnsley and Plymouth.

I honestly don't think I was being optimistic, there were plenty of signs that McGhee was making progress and inching towards getting things right. I even thought that about Oldham, where we were solid as a rock defensively, even though many people seemed to think that someone had died that day.

We have put back the fortress in Withdean's name and we can now see if we can improve our away form/luck. Let's face it, Wycombe is a good place to start. I'm not taking anything for granted, it seems a timeless Albion characateristic to play to the level of our opponents. But them and Luton and Grimsby are all good tests of the progress that McGhee is making.

We're fifth and it is a joy to be an Albion fan today.

Most of the other results have gone our way too and I wouldn't want to be a QPR fan today, three in a row, oh dear. That kind of poor run could open up the auto promotion spots for us again.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
for our 13 guys on the pitch today

Telly people really rated Piercy "the main diffrenece between the sides"

Old Gary huffed a lot but I don't rate Gas at the moment. And I have always been a top fan. He just ain't passing defenders.

LC:nono:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
London Calling said:
Telly people really rated Piercy "the main diffrenece between the sides"

Old Gary huffed a lot but I don't rate Gas at the moment. And I have always been a top fan. He just ain't passing defenders.

LC:nono:

Can't argue with that Hart looks out of sorts at present.

Why oh why didn't SC use Piercy more last season ?

First half was best we have played since Rushden away IMHO

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Beach Hut said:

First half was best we have played since Rushden away IMHO

I'd certainly go along with that.

:clap2: :clap2:

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Well I have been home a couple of hours now and have watched the Sky coverage. We sounded great all you could hear was the fans in the singing section but we were singing too in "C" block but not the same songs!!. What an atmosphere the best in ages. The first half was surperb the best in a long time I agree re the comments about Rushden. The main difference was Piercy and Virgo thank god Coppell left as these guys would have never got a chance. Benjamin and Knight also clicked today. Will Micky let us have Benjamin for another month??

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Good first half.

Looked our usual 'shit-scared' second half. :glare:

Just checked out the Plymouth match report & I RRFLMFAO! :lolol:

Keep it going lads - PLEASE - you'll get no ever end of support if you do.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Spot on Beach Hut.

The R&D match came to my mind this evening as well.

I was proud of the team tonight. We did miss Piercey in the second half but we did enough to hold out for the win.

The atmosphere was really great. H & J blocks were rocking and give the rest of the blocks their due, when we sang Stand up if you want Falmer - they did - even the North Stand were standing.

The chants were good and other blocks were joining in.

I'm sure it helped the team too, so why can't we do that every home game or can we have the cameras every week?
:lol:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A great night. The atmosphere positively crackled. Only a home victory against Palace would have been sweeter.

More of the same please.

:clap:

larus

I think that was the best I've seen Piercey play yet.

He had time, looked confident, composed and was willing to have a dig.

I like the three up front, it puts the other team under pressure, and stops them building from the back.

last point, I've never been a fan of Charlie. nevr really rated him much, but I must say he had a blinder in the first half. Hats off to the guy, and I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here