Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Charlton Tomorrow

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
FA Nationwide Premier League Cup first round
Sunday, September 14th (2pm) at the Withdean Stadium, Tongdean Lane, Brighton

Despite four wins from four games, Charlton manager Keith Boanas will be approaching this weekend’s Premier League Cup match against Brighton & Hove Albion with some serious decisions to make.

He will not be concerned about his side’s form; a team like the Southern Division Seagulls – one division lower than the Addicks - should not offer too much of a challenge to a side that is presently riding high at the top of the women’s football world.

But there were signs during last Sunday’s 3-1 win against Bristol Rovers that some of the Addicks were slightly fatigued, and that will not have been cured by five of the squad travelling to Germany to represent England on Thursday night.

“Although we took all three points from Bristol, it was a lacklustre performance,” admitted Keith.

“We dominated the first half, and could have scored more than we did, but a little of bit of frustration and complacency set in when the floodgates didn’t open.

“It’s not easy being away all week with England and then playing for your club at weekend, knowing you’ve got to do the same thing again the following week.”

Added Boanas: “It’s tiring both physically and mentally, and perhaps that rubbed off on the others as well. The attitude after the game was as if we had lost, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.”

That being so, and with Boanas only set to meet up again with jet-setters Pauline Cope, Casey Stoney, Fara Williams, Amanda Barr and Carmaine Walker on Friday, the Addicks boss has been left with a selection dilemma.

He said: “I may consider resting one or two players, depending on how they come back from England.

“That won’t be disrespectful to Brighton because we want to win the match and we’re well aware they have beaten us in the past. But until I know what condition the girls are in when they return, I won’t be able to make that decision.”

All five players featured in the match in Darmstadt, even though midfielder Williams missed training earlier in the week with a knee problem.

But regardless of the team he eventually chooses, Boanas is well aware that the Addicks will have to do more than merely turn up at the Withdean Stadium to progress to the second round.

Although they reached the final of the FA Cup, Charlton were last season unceremoniously dumped out of the Premier League Cup at the third-round stage by lower-league Aston Villa following an unconvincing display.

“The Premier League Cup is very much a competition we are targeting and we want to challenge on all fronts this season,” said Keith.

“We also want to erase the memory of the defeat to Villa last season, because anything can happen in a one-off cup game. We want to win the match and progress to the next round.”

Charlton have a few minor niggles ahead of the clash, although they are not expected to rule anyone out, and there was further good news last week when Michelle Bolton was declared ready for a return to competitive football.

The midfielder has been in full training in the last few weeks and should feature for the reserves against Arsenal at the weekend after suffering a badly swollen calf following a tackle during pre-season.

Charlton beat Brighton three times last season as the Seagulls finished last in the table and were relegated from the National Division.

Victories by 6-1 and 5-1 scorelines in the league were followed by a 4-0 FA Cup fourth round victory and the margins ably illustrate the gap in class.

The Seagulls are also struggling this season, however. Brighton lost 2-1 to Chelsea last weekend and are presently third from bottom of the Southern Division with one draw and two defeats from their three fixtures thus far.

A full match report will be available on the website on Monday morning.

FA Nationwide Women’s Premier League Cup first-round draw:

Arsenal v Ipswich Town
Aston Villa v AFC Wimbledon
Barnet v Bangor City
Birmingham City v Fulham
Brighton & Hove Albion v Charlton Athletic
Enfield Town v Lincoln City
Everton v Manchester City
Langford v Sheffield Wednesday
Leeds United v Bristol City
Liverpool v Bristol Rovers
Middlesbrough v Chelsea
Oldham Curzon v Merthyr Tydfill
Southampton Saints v Doncaster Rovers Belles
Sunderland v Stockport County
Watford v Tranmere Rovers
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Portsmouth

Might go along, don't know yet :)

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Any of them fit ?

Beefy said:
Monkey tennis.

Spoken like a bigot !

Women's football is a quality product and is played with an expansive style. They don't rely on power and pace (though they can demonstrate both at the very top level) and the passing, movement and understanding belies the relative newness of the sport.
I have had the priviledge and pleasure of coaching women's football (and men's) and the women are eminently more coachable (generally) than the men. They want to learn and develop and are every bitas determined and passionate about the game as men.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
How do you pronounce your managers name?

PS The CIAFC blokes can be contacted at here

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
How much is it to get in ?
Not going all Richie on you, but with all the games coming up, every penny counts !

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
coach03 said:
Spoken like a bigot !

Women's football is a quality product and is played with an expansive style. They don't rely on power and pace (though they can demonstrate both at the very top level) and the passing, movement and understanding belies the relative newness of the sport.
I have had the priviledge and pleasure of coaching women's football (and men's) and the women are eminently more coachable (generally) than the men. They want to learn and develop and are every bitas determined and passionate about the game as men.

Calm down,calm down.Just quoting Lovejoy's joke. ???

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Women's footy is the dogs...in more ways than one. Seriously though, I think if the club had more resources to publicise it you would attract more families to the Albion. I've bored everyone on here shiteless with my experience of watching womens professional 'soccer' in the USA in front of 45,000 crowds for some games so the potential is definately there, and lets face it, anyone playing in the stripes deserves our support.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Cheshire Dolphin said:
You've changed your name! And you're also one of the toppermost posters since Turkeygate.

I asked Turkey to change my name because it is now what I was being called, also my Post Count is genuine and not rigged :angry:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Fairly close game in the end, wasn’t it? 7-0.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
What to us or them ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Probably Charlton - I was talking to a three of the lady Albion players yesterday at Colchester

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
7-0 Charlton. Isn’t it Charlton though that have now gone professional?

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Charlton are semi-pro as far as I am aware, along with Leeds United, Fulham, Arsenal and Doncaster Rovers/Belles.

The Albion women's team lost a fair few players following relegation so might be in for another tough season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here