[Brighton] Brighton Pride cancels dog show due to heat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
23 degrees? Hot?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If 23C in August is considered "extremely hot", you must have even shittier weather in England than the myth says.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Agreed. We'll probably have an orange heat warning or something.
If only we lived in a country like Germany or Sweden with their world famous excellent weather.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Tv Show Fun GIF by Happy Place

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
If 23C in August is considered "extremely hot", you must have even shittier weather in England than the myth says.
I was surprised too, when I read the predicted temperature. I'm writing a paper about climate adaptation in Brighton at the moment and the Preston Park LSOA is always cooler during heat waves. Perhaps the dog show should be moved to later or earlier in the year?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If only we lived in a country like Germany or Sweden with their world famous excellent weather.
Currently 09:40 and 25 degrees...... rising to 33 today ☀️

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Dunno why you are including Germany there. Germany, at least the parts I know, has a fantastic continental climate which is far more predictable than ours. Warm sunny to hot days from April to October and then a cold hard winter with plenty of seasonal weather. It has great weather!

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Dunno why you are including Germany there. Germany, at least the parts I know, has a fantastic continental climate which is far more predictable than ours. Warm sunny to hot days from April to October and then a cold hard winter with plenty of seasonal weather. It has great weather!
Fair enough. Just that Germany doesn't spring to mind when I think of great weather tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite. Part of the reason I moved here is for the long warm summers and the outdoorsy life this engenders. There is a reason why there are so many large biergartens accross the nation and it's not because the weather is crap,

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite. Part of the reason I moved here is for the long warm summers and the outdoorsy life this engenders. There is a reason why there are so many large biergartens accross the nation and it's not because the weather is crap,
I've spent a fair bit of time in various places in Sweden in the summers, too - and the weather has always been absolutely GLORIOUS.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Sweden is also warmer and sunnier than UK in the summer, and with harsher winters... goes for most countries that aren't islands thrown out in the Atlantic Ocean.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ha! No, not even we English consider 23c to be 'extremely hot', and certainly not in this era.

Not sure why the organisers think that. Perhaps they're worried that the forecast is wrong and it will be 33c. Better to be safe than sorry and all that, and the dogs' welfare must come first (which is fair enough as they don't get a say whether they're entered or not).

I think more though they're disappointed as they wanted it to rain so they could have something to grumble about. That would be very English.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sweden is also warmer and sunnier than UK in the summer, and with harsher winters... goes for most countries that aren't islands thrown out in the Atlantic Ocean.
Sounds wonderful, i’m personally amazed that so many people want to come to this shit island with the weather we get!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've spent a fair bit of time in various places in Sweden in the summers, too - and the weather has always been absolutely GLORIOUS.
I ran the Stockholm marathon and it was BRUTALLY hot…that was in May. I did not piss for about 3 days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ha! No, not even we English consider 23c to be 'extremely hot', and certainly not in this era.

Not sure why the organisers think that. Perhaps they're worried that the forecast is wrong and it will be 33c. Better to be safe than sorry and all that, and the dogs' welfare must come first (which is fair enough as they don't get a say whether they're entered or not).

I think more though they're disappointed as they wanted it to rain so they could have something to grumble about. That would be very English.
I work with an Italian Guy and he visited Brighton a few years ago. He told me the weather was 24 degrees and “everyone was pissing their pants over this….I was shivering” His words not mine.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I ran the Stockholm marathon and it was BRUTALLY hot…that was in May. I did not piss for about 3 days.
One of several reasons why I have a slight tendency to avoid running marathons.
Pissing is one of the few free pleasures in life.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dogs really shouldn't be out in very hot weather. They find it hard to regulate temperature and can burn their paws on concrete.

23 degrees, however, is not very hot weather. No idea what the organisers are thinking of here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here