Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marina Fog Horn

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
It's been going like the CLAPPERS the last couple of evenings.

I don't know why but I love hearing it. I'm sure it was around in the early 80's and then didn't sound for years but has made a comeback within the past 6-7 years?

I bet the Marina residents go mental. Ah well....

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Can hear it here in Lower Bev.

I'm hearing it up in Woodingdean.

I wonder what's the furthest distance anyone's ever heard it from? Not wondering very hard you understand, just curious :blush:

The closing of many Lighthouses was in the news today. I wonder (again, not that hard) what the future is, if any, for foghorns?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can hear it in Freshfield Road - and it's bloody annoying when I'm trying to go to sleep :tantrum:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Well, I can most certainly hear it! Not annoying, in fact it's vaguely soothing...
But slightly pointless really, to me speaking of long-gone times when seafarers didn't have such luxuries as radio, and satnav to locate their vessel down to the nearest metre.

Foghorns? In the 21st century? Who needs 'em?

EDIT: It's stopped now. Although it has kept our normally raucous seagulls strangely quiet all evening.

Last edited:

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
the one in shoreham has been going as well but you get used to it i dont here it unless i listen for it
ps live near train line to but dont here that either (just fuckin seagulls screeching )

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Heard it yesterday evening (Higher Bevendean) had no idea what it was at the time though!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Ah the sounds of my youth when I lived in the eastern part of Shoreham: the Fog Horn, Fog Signals on the Railway, Shunting in the Goods Yard and most noisy of all the Bucket Dredger working in the Western Arm of the Harbour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here