Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove City Council election results

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
For some people maybe, but the Green vote has been building for years now. People are actually voting FOR them now rather than against someone else. Given that most voters had an inkling that the Greens would be the largest party this time round they knew they may be voting them into a position of real power, you should not do that likely. The Greens ceased to be a pressure group in Brighton a long time ago. Maybe if the main parties had realised this earlier they would not have done so badly.

Anyway at least we now have council that reflects the progressive values of the majority of the voters in the City, rather than a totally unrepresentative tory cuts machine.

Ho! Good post. *claps*

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Will they really increase council tax and residents parking permits or is this just scaremongering?

I have no probs with a congestion charge or increase in parking fees tho.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I voted Green at the General Election, but am much more nervous about them locally.

There would have been no Falmer, there probably won't be any of the seaside devlopments (I360 / wheel etc.). I think there's a real strain of "conservatism" with a small "c" about the Greens at a local level.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Will they really increase council tax and residents parking permits or is this just scaremongering?

Most likely of the parties to do this. Depends really if the Government decides to give the grant (equivalent to a 2.5% increase) to those councils who freeze council tax next year as well as this. If they do then I doubt the greens will go against it, but if not I wouldn't be suprised to see a 6% rise depending on what inflation is like.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
I voted Green at the General Election, but am much more nervous about them locally.

There would have been no Falmer, there probably won't be any of the seaside devlopments (I360 / wheel etc.). I think there's a real strain of "conservatism" with a small "c" about the Greens at a local level.

Together with a large dose of illiberalism in their supporters on this thread. Apparently only left-wingers should live in Brighton. Non-lefties should move out or somehow be disenfranchised because they are inherently bad people.

There's no-one more fascist than a hippy and you can quote me on that.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles

I reckon you can probably say goodbye to a significant proportion of trade from outside the city if this comes to pass. It already costs more than its worth.

From where I live, Crawley is just as close and under half the price to park. I'd be worried for the future if i lived in Brighton.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
greens

Could the greens now block Tony Bloom in finding a suitable site for the new Acadamy and Traning facility would be a real set back to take the future playing side of the club foward.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Together with a large dose of illiberalism in their supporters on this thread. Apparently only left-wingers should live in Brighton. Non-lefties should move out or somehow be disenfranchised because they are inherently bad people.

its worse people are pleased hard working labour councillors with an epic history in the town are out as they are old and square and do not think we should all be going round in c5s with atomkraft nein danke stickers on. its too funny people (the electorate) will do almost anything to make brighton seem more ideosyncratic and left field.

and then they moan that rottingdean gets a vote and votes tory and thats cramping their style. its like bromley voting against the worst excesses of the GLC, may not be trendy but at least helps rein in the nutters.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Both of which are just taxation via the back door - and entirely NOT based on peoples ability to pay. Has the drive to spread parking permits lessened the number of people owning a car in the city ? Probably not. Therefore it does nothing to help the environment - just raises revenue. A congestion charge will be a double whammy. It will hit already hard pressed residents of the city ( and why should they pay to get to their homes anyway ? ) and it will drive tourists away. Given our City thrives on weekend tourists, has a particularly shit train service ( just try catching one after midnight out of the city if you've been clubbing etc ) and there are plenty of local seaside towns who will quite happily take those tourists instead then a congestion charge will be particularly damaging to the city. That said it would clear the roads at weekends.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm not a huge fan of the Greens, I do support some of their policies though. But to suggest their success is a protest vote is fanciful at best.
Voters had no choice if they didn't want to vote Labour or Tory because a vote for the LibDems would be totally wasted. Across the country the LibDems have lost half of their councillors.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The lunatics have finally taken over control of the asylum.

:nono:

Correct.

A city council being run by idealists.......:down: might as well let the recent amalgamation of protest groups in Brighton be in charge, maybe we have?

We are all doomed, I say, we are all doomed!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Haha deary me. Hippy? What the hell is a hippy these days? Just because Fleet Foxes are copying Emerson Lake and Palmer doesn't mean we're going all woodstock. You just sound scared of something new.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Voters had no choice if they didn't want to vote Labour or Tory because a vote for the LibDems would be totally wasted. Across the country the LibDems have lost half of their councillors.
Trouble is hardly anyone in Brighton voted Lib Dem to begin with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here