Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Buses - Change...

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Can't be arsed to detail it all, so, basically -

- Up hospital, used cash machine, got £10 out (smallest amount)
- Get on number 1 bus with fresh £10 note
- Me: "Saver please"
- Driver: "I ain't got change for that..."
- Me: "What?"
- Driver: "I ain't got change for that..."
- Etc.
- Luckily I had £1.80 for a single (in 10 and 20p's) even though I wanted a saver, also luckily, I only needed to get 2 buses, so two singles didn't cost me anymore, just wanted a saver for ease of use.

But what the flips the deal?

A) I assume he was just not going to let me on the bus, and then what? Wait for one that did have change?

B) How can you not have £6.40 in change. When (I reckon) the majority pay £1.80 or £3.60 in change rather than £5'ers, and even if someone did pay in a £5'er he only needs one to give me change.

C) It was a #1 bus, so he may have just come from the bus garage in Whitehawk, but surely they come out with some change.

D) There was also about 30 people on the bus, they couldn't all have had passes.

Wasn't like it was £20 and I was asking for a single...

He was similar age to me, and looked a bit of a grumpy dick, I reckon he just wanted to piss me off.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Look,this is the second time today I've said this.Bloody customers expect the earth.Why don't they just accept they are bloody nuisances and stop moaning?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
one refused me the other day, so i said i will get on and wait for change. i traveled then just walked off......f*** you bus driver wanker.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Same thing happened to me the other day. Driver refused £10 for a day saver (was going into town from Vogue Gyratory) Luckily a passenger on there had 2 fiver's.

turnstiler

Ex North Stand Turnstiler
Mar 6, 2009
Cologne, Germany
Happened to me a few times in the past - driver always let me on and then I paid once he had enough change. Once didn't get enough and he turned a blind eye.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
When this happened in Worthing, the driver used to give a credit voucher which you could either exchange for cash in the ticket office or use to pay for future bus journey. not ideal cos but it meant you weren't totally out of pocket

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Why didn't you try to pay using some stamps? A bus driver would have to accept them as legal tender.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
A bus driver shut me in the door once and told me that the bus was full even though it clearly wasn't... literally shut the door on me. wanker.

I'm just waiting for the resident wally to tell you just why paying with a tenner was unacceptable and to give the driver a break...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Happens up here too. They only accept exact change. If you don't have change, you'll have to walk to a shop and buy something.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Same problem recently. I lowered myself to use public transport with the smelly people. Offered driver £10 note for me and the mrs and got 'can't change that' in return. I offered to pay later in the journey when he had change which he refused, so we got off and got a cab. F**k Roger French and his bus company.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Buses are proper medieval compared to trains when it comes to all this. Some bus drivers are nice but you do get a fairly high % of grumps.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where do passengers stand here?(or sit)
If you've offered legal tender and the driver doesn't have change can he refuse you entry onto the bus?

no. at least on London buses, the official procedure is for them to take your fare once they have change or else give you a note with the address of the bus company to send the fare to. report it, get the oficial policy for next time.

i've had it happen to me often, including at the start of a shift, driver just got on presumably with his float. i never could understand how a London bus in SE1/16 could ever be out of change (pre-oyster days). then oneday i saw a couple of the drivers in the pub on the fruity and the penny dropped...

The bus driver was WRONG. Complain.

This is an extract from Brighton & Hove Buses' Conditions of Carriage:-

http://www.buses.co.uk/pdfs/conditions.pdf

3. Payment of fares

3.1 Passengers must tell the driver
of the journey they intend to take
if requested.

3.2 Passengers must pay their fare to
the driver immediately on boarding
the vehicle and take a ticket.

3.3 The Company reserves the right
not to accept or give change for notes