Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Bromley is it true?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Really? that is sad news. I only posted the other day, that imho, he scored one of the finest goals I ever saw at the Goldstone. Against Tranmere in a 2-0 win.

RIP.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Saw him grace the blue & white stripes in my first couple of seasons watching the Albion. RIP.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Brian Bromley was an important player in the 1971/2 promotion team.

What was known then as a 'midfield general'. One wonderful goal to remember as Blackadder mentions.

Only about 65 apparently - very sad.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
RIP

Attachments

• bromley.jpg
    bromley.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 65

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
For me, Bromley is the only realistic rival to Nobby as Captain of the All Time Brighton XI. He was the start of the revolution in the early 70s. The goal mentioned earlier in the thread was indeed an all time classic.

This is very sad news for those of us who were children of the seventies.

RIP Brian

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Very classy player,always seemed to have plenty of time on the ball and a fabulous passer.

R.I.P. Brian...........thanks for the memories.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What a shame. He was a very good player and THAT goal was right up there in my top ten goals for the Albion. I think Tommy Laurence the Liverpool great was in goal for Tranmere that night. Also started the move for the Willie Irvine goal did BB.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Sad news....I am sure we are talking about the same goal that I remember him scoring - one of the best in my memory. He was really skillful player

A Pompey site gives his d.o.b. as 20th March 1946 , which means it was very nearly his 66th birthday, no great age.

Condolences and may he R I P

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He wasn't with us that long (the A-Z states 55aps & 3 goals) but he had a tremendous influence on that promotion season. Indeed, that book reminds me that he was made captain during the run in, not bad for a new player.

As for 'that' goal, from what I recall it was a murky day and Tranmere were stubborn opposition but BB took the ball from his own half on a long run before smashing past the robust Tommy Lawrence, a formerkeeper for Shankley's Liverpool.

Bromley also had the bushiest sideburns since Engleburt Humperdinct!

Unfortunatly Albion, and Bromley, had a mare the following season, but thanks for the memories.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
As for 'that' goal, from what I recall it was a murky day and Tranmere were stubborn opposition but BB took the ball from his own half on a long run before smashing past the robust Tommy Lawrence, a formerkeeper for Shankley's Liverpool.

That's the one. Hit it on the volley, I think. I was in the North Stand that day and he scored it at the South goal.

Bromley also had the bushiest sideburns since Engleburt Humperdinct!
Don't you mean since Alan Duffy? :lolol:

But seriously, it's quite frightening how quickly you can go; no time to put your affairs in order here....
Was told this last night by some of the guys in the local social club where Bromley worked as a bar man off and on for some time.
On Tuesday, he looked very ill and was advised by a friend of mine to go home. He was back in the club on Wednesday and looked even worse. He was taken to the QA on Wednesday and transfered to Southampton on Thursday.
He passed away on Friday in the hospital.
No details of funeral yet, but it is 99% certain that it will be at Portchester Crem.

BTW, is Brian the first player/staff member to pass away since Geoff Sidebottom? I haven't been able to keep up with reading every thread title since the massive influx onto NSC this season.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here