Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brentford striker Igor Thiago

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No way a club like Brentford can let a player like that walk on a free.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Is anyone in for Toney though? Man Utd and Chelsea sniffed around, but definitely not at the price Brentford are hoping for. It'll be a dance for most of the pre-season and maybe they'll get £30-40m if one of the big 6/7 are desperate for a striker, but think they've missed the mega-bucks boat on this one thanks to his ban.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Brentford weren't great last season but held their own up front Mbuemo, Wissa, Schade and Maupay competent options for what they are looking to do, basically stay up

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Brentford were awful when we played them away. I reckon they just were playing for a point because it was definitely bus parking on their part. As for us banjo and cow’s arse sprang to mind.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
you’d be absolutely gutted if you were a brentford fan, wouldn’t you? big, shiny new player and you won’t get to see them play until possibly the new year (enciso’s injury was meniscus iirc?)

something to be said about brentford however, is that whilst everyone rants and raves about how well run they are (including some even saying they’d like us to adopt their style of play :shootself), they’re now in a position of either having to sell toney for the cash and be in deep need of a new striker, and one who turns out to be a good signing, or let toney walk away at the end of the season for nothing. in short they’ve clearly become too reliant on him, and now it’s come back to bite them.

when you look at the money they’ve spent on the likes of schade and damsgaard, both of whom have had negligible impacts, they haven’t always managed to execute the brilliant recruitment that everyone praises them for, and will end up in trouble sooner or later if they don’t sort it out (i’m sure many other fans had a similar conversation about us after last season!). and also, their fans seem to really want their medical team replaced and are bemoaning the lack of action on that front. couple of alarm bells ringing there.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
This is the mirror image of what happened to Schade for them last year wasn't it? He was out for most of the season iirc.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
you’d be absolutely gutted if you were a brentford fan, wouldn’t you? big, shiny new player and you won’t get to see them play until possibly the new year (enciso’s injury was meniscus iirc?)

something to be said about brentford however, is that whilst everyone rants and raves about how well run they are (including some even saying they’d like us to adopt their style of play :shootself), they’re now in a position of either having to sell toney for the cash and be in deep need of a new striker, and one who turns out to be a good signing, or let toney walk away at the end of the season for nothing. in short they’ve clearly become too reliant on him, and now it’s come back to bite them.

when you look at the money they’ve spent on the likes of schade and damsgaard, both of whom have had negligible impacts, they haven’t always managed to execute the brilliant recruitment that everyone praises them for, and will end up in trouble sooner or later if they don’t sort it out (i’m sure many other fans had a similar conversation about us after last season!). and also, their fans seem to really want their medical team replaced and are bemoaning the lack of action on that front. couple of alarm bells ringing there.
They did fine without Toney for a large portion of the last season. And without Rico Henry. Two of their best players and they still managed to do what they do. And as usual they got far too little credit.

I could see them going with the same solution to the "striker crisis" as last season... bring in the Maup.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Toney isn’t exactly helping his position threatening to run down his contract if he doesn’t get a move. The fella seems to have forgotten about the club that got him on the map and into the England squad.
Can you go into the season with a player who doesn’t want to be there?

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
They did fine without Toney for a large portion of the last season. And without Rico Henry. Two of their best players and they still managed to do what they do. And as usual they got far too little credit.

I could see them going with the same solution to the "striker crisis" as last season... bring in the Maup.
Let's not exaggerate how well they did - they fell from ninth, a mere two points off a place in Europe, to sixteenth and would have been at greater risk of relegation were it not for how terrible the promoted teams all were. We mope about going from sixth place to eleventh but Brentford's decline was more acute.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London

If I were Brentford I'd sell Toney and find a decent loan-listed striker though I appreciate that's easier said than done. As mentioned already Mbeumo and Wissa are great options but the club lacks depth up front.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Let's not exaggerate how well they did - they fell from ninth, a mere two points off a place in Europe, to sixteenth and would have been at greater risk of relegation were it not for how terrible the promoted teams all were. We mope about going from sixth place to eleventh but Brentford's decline was more acute.
Of course they struggled without that quality, but they still did what they're always setting out to do: staying up.

Toney is a good player and helps them a lot but they can handle life without him. Next seasons bottom three is unlikely to be any better.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
Of course they struggled without that quality, but they still did what they're always setting out to do: staying up.
No shit, but would you not have been disappointed last season as a Bee?
Next seasons bottom three is unlikely to be any better.
You could turn out to be right but I'm not sure this is a given what with Leicester and Southampton's PL pedigree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here