Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford memories from back in the day

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Fed up with all the clique rubbish on here today, so im gonna start an exclusive thread for long term fans (excluding the young’un cliquers like fatboy and BB)

Brentford memories

The low roof terrace that we used to get which was the best away end in all leagues for atmosphere and home fans would chuck stuff below from the seats.

Chapmans lob and the ensuing riots

Andy Ansah ripping us apart LOL

Anyone else remember any games there from the early 90’s?? I love going to Griffin park

There was always, ALWAYS trouble there and loads of 'No Surrender' sort of stuff outside the ground, once or twice I went up there with a few 'lads' and all the old geezers from the 70s who didn't go much would jump at the chance of a scrap in London.

It used to scare the shit out of me to be honest. My old man gave me a lift up there once and the car nearly got turned over.

Most recent memory probably the spectacular own goal from Glen Thomas...we never really did well there.

xx

dwayne said:
Fed up with all the clique rubbish on here today, so im gonna start an exclusive thread for long term fans (excluding the young’un cliquers like fatboy and BB)

I'm not part of the clique and I thought you were being nice from now on.

I was wrong :(

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Brentford remains to this day the only time I have been to a football match - and decided not to go in because of what was going on outside. Late 80s (1988 possibly), en route back to uni in Norwich turned up at Griffin Park only to see it going off all over the place, pub windows smashed in, completely unexpected.

Went staright to Liverpool Street for train, and read next day there had been 70 arrests which even in those days was pretty serious. Then about 10 years later read in one of the hoolie books that Chelsea had all turned up to 'avenge' some incident outside the Goldstone a couple of years previously. Which sort of explained the mayhem.

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
My best memory is of beating them 1-0 on boxing day Dean wilkins with the only goal in 1995. Bloody cold day that was.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
87/88 season i think it was...

2-1 victory at Griffin Park...

Gary Nelson...

Truly a memorable day...
Marvellous Scenes :clap2:

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
At last, a decent thread

Classic memories dwayney, watching the game with your good self at least 5-6 years ago, Myall playing, Wilkins making his comeback, Akinbiyi upfront

We win a corner, it gets played out too chapman, big tut from myself as these never work, he somehow shapes his body to volley it, dips over their keeper, sky scraper Kevin Dearden sending the mass albion faithful wild and leaving a young gloves to eat his words.

Lost 2-1 though after Peter Smiths woeful header let in Ansah to score.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That stand was fantastic, the loudest I can remember, ears ringing after the game.

Queueing for 15mins after kick off just to get in, then lost

Don't recall any trouble, but then again I am of the opinion that those who find the trouble generally were looking for it.

Funniest incident, the fat bloke sat on the front row, on a Tues/Wed in the Auto-Windshields cup, he got so much grief. (We lost on Penalties, D'oh).

We took a mate to that game it was his first ever game, and he has not been back since.

Always love going to Brentford.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Superphil said:

Funniest incident, the fat bloke sat on the front row, on a Tues/Wed in the Auto-Windshields cup, he got so much grief. (We lost on Penalties, D'oh). We took a mate to that game it was his first ever game, and he has not been back since.

I think that may have been the game of the famous Barnet Seagull yellow fleece, clearly visible from all four corners of the ground.

FatboyTim

Jul 14, 2003
the moon
First time I went, i remember having to queue so long we missed both goals. we lost 2-0 :(

Second Time we lost on penalties :(

Thrid we lost 4-0 and I snuck off before the end :(

Happy Days..

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Italiaseagull said:
My best memory is of beating them 1-0 on boxing day Dean wilkins with the only goal in 1995. Bloody cold day that was.

And what a goal it was. His Corner was blocked but he hit the rebound first time straight into the top corner. That was the coldest I've been an any game.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It was indeed a yellow fleece night.

That was a legendary game.

With "two seats" and the "homework" boys.

I don't think I've ever laughed quite as much as during the 10-15 minutes off "wahey" after we got a decision.

I think that day was possibly the happiest albion defeat I've ever witnessed.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
1987/88 season...... played them twice I think, League and FA Cup. Garry Nelson scores one of the all time great Albions goals. Loads of trouble and arrests.... A couple of months later, in my first week in my first job I had to explain that I needed the Friday afternoon off to go to court..... as a defence witness, obviously!!

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
Brentford memories

1. One turnstile only open

2. Our own Glen Thomas having a mare (own goal and slipped to let in striker) Think we lost 3-0?

3. Running from train station

4. Running to train station

Last edited:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Nelse's goal in the Cup game remains the greatest Albion goal I've ever seen, better even than Bob's volley. We had the uncovered end and one section of the side terrace, under the roof, on that day. I think there were 2,900 of us in there and the noise when Nelse scored was unbelievable. We'd have won the league game there that season aswell, but Dublin turned round under no pressure in the last minute and punted the ball behind for a corner, from which they scored. Perhaps he was woozy from having been shoved into the Brentford fans section over the advertising boards earlier in the game - anyone remember that?

I also remember getting there late for a league cup game we lost 4-1 (Mark Farrington came off the bench to make his debut!) I walked up to the terrace and the very first kick I saw was Brentford scoring their second goal.

The Glen Thomas game, ugh, the only highlight was abusing Noades as he walked off at half time. And two seasons ago was pretty grim, the only time we'd been completely second best for some while.

Brentford these days is a pretty sedate affair compared to those games in the late eighties. My brother (16 at the time) was on the train which got wrecked by Brighton fans, he said it was absolutely terrifying, even the police looked scared. I never saw a hint of trouble all day!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tooting Gull said:
I think that may have been the game of the famous Barnet Seagull yellow fleece, clearly visible from all four corners of the ground.

Pilots were using it to navigate while on final approach to Heathrow.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I went when I was at uni so some time between 1992 & 1995. Cant remember the exact year or the score (pretty sure we lost though). At the train station on the way back I was on the opposite side of the platform to all the Brighton fans minding my own business waiting for a train. However, the Albion fans on the other side assumed I must be a Brentford supporter and for some reason singled me out as a target for abuse (fair enough I was a student at the time). Someone even threw their food at me - seems like the burgers were as bad back then. The Brentford Burberrys (Or Pierre Cardins or whatever they were at the time) appeared and hurled some Verbal back & I joined in so they didn't beat me up. Possibly one of the strangest experiences following the Albion.

My Favourite trip to West London was Fulham in what was I think the 92-93 season. After the game all the fans were walking back past a Tennis court. Everyone stopped to watch. When this guy threw the ball up to serve about 200 fans went Wooooooooaaaaaaaahhhh, your shit ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh & when it hit the net started singing 'Your so shit its unbelievable' Him and his playing partner never said a word during the whole thing but their game fell to pieces and no-one made any attempt to stop watching. Poor blokes probably put them of tennis for life but for me made the trip worthwhile.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Being a West London boy I always enjoy going back to Brentford.

That Chapman goal was an absolute screamer.Wilkins and Chapman tried that so many times but I think that was the only time it actually worked.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That Garry Nelson goal was pure class. Marvellous scenes. But since then, it's been pretty much the law that we lose at Brentford with one or two exceptions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here