Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News: statement from PM on Falmer!

larus

For those of you that think that these comments are irrelevant, please consider the following:

Tony Blair is the prime minister, and, from what the media portrays, has a cordial working relationship with JP.

JP is going to make the decision, based on advice from...., well advisors I suppose.

There's an election loomng next year (probably), and the labour majority is going to be severely reduced (fox-hunting ban will alientate some voters but won't gain any, Iraq, mis-trust in Blair). There are 3 seats which would highly likely be lost of Falmer gets turned down, and could easily be won if a yes is granted.

So, to say that TB will have no involvement in the decision, or could have no effect on it is very naive. This is politics, and next time round, it will be a damn site closer and TB knows this.

Next point, JP could so easily have said no and blamed the inspectors. He didn't, and has done the next best thing by saying (in a round-about way), "Right DK, I accept you need a stadium, but the tossers at planning have bowled me a googly, the best way forward to stop those NIMBY's being able to ask for a Judicial Review is to re-open the enquiry, and to look at the other sites to see if any of those are OK. If they're not, Bob's your Uncle and Fanny's you 're Aunt me old mate. Oh by the way, can you get your supporters to vote Labour?".

The fact that TB accepts that it's been a long time, that there is a great deal of support for it down here, the humourous way that we've conducted the campaign are all very positive.

This shows that we are getting really close, and as someone else commented, this season we WILL know.

Keep the faith.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have just watched the latest bulletin from BBC SouthEast and their spin on it is that the re-opening of the public inquiry means that the club have been asked to go back to the drawing board in their quest for a site for the stadium ???

Pavilionaire said:
Blair's statement is as vacuous as a vacuum cleaner on vacation.

Ah yes, a simple ''no comment'' would have been far more prudent. We CERTAINLY don't need the leader of the country acknowledging our stadial desires eh pavilionaire?

NMH says; CHEERS for noticing Tony, and it will add pressure on the local suits to get something done FOR BRIGHTON !
(and NMH knows sense when he reads it).

Perhaps TB can cut the tape at the opening day, along with DK of course (shall we invite her royalness as well, and get Falmer on a postage stamp, say what?)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I know that this board is all for 'expressing ones views' but I am simply staggered by those who thing TB's comments are irrelevant.

To those negative thinkers out there. please re-read larus's comments at the top of this page, as they are spot on

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't get too excited, a typical political move by Blair telling the people what they want to hear to score some political points for himself. As Blair himself said, he can't do or say anything about this, so it is doubtful that this will have any affect on swaying JP's decision.

Still, nice to see that the march has lifted the profile of the campaign.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Scoffers said:
I know that this board is all for 'expressing ones views' but I am simply staggered by those who thing TB's comments are irrelevant.

To those negative thinkers out there. please re-read larus's comments at the top of this page, as they are spot on

what he said. i can't be arsed suffice to say, as lord b pointed out, part of our protest has been to show the albion is not just a provincial issue.

if there is more national recognition than the prime minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland talking about the issue on the bbc , the national broadcaster of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, i would like to see it.

take you heads out of your arses some of you

isabellas father

Jul 25, 2003
Shepherds bush
Scoffers said:

Couldn't agree more ,this is as positive as he could possibly be in light of of his parliamentary restrictions.

great news.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Wardywonderland said:
That reads to me as......

"I totally agree and if it was up to me I would have already said yes. However i am not allowed to express and oponion on the matter."

Can only be good news.

Yeah but it could also mean 'I feel for the little club but it won't be my fault if they don't get a ground. Therefroe, I can say anything I like!!'

Still.... definately good to know he knows and maybe just maybe he might give JP and unofficial helping hand.:)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
NMH said:
Ah yes, a simple ''no comment'' would have been far more prudent. We CERTAINLY don't need the leader of the country acknowledging our stadial desires eh pavilionaire?

If Blair and his government considered Falmer to be important Prescott would not have sat on the file for the best part of a year, before deferring matters still further.

The campaigning this week has been a great success, and done our cause a power of good.

This is, however, a government with a massive majority and no hope of losing the next election with a leader who is untouchable.

They don't "need" the local seats, I'm sure they are just as concerned about upsetting the anti-Falmer pro-countryside / National Park / environmentalist lobby as they are about upsetting pro-Falmer supporters.

I think we will get Falmer, but some people on this thread are reading far too much into these comments. Politicians are, after all, vain creatures of opportunity, who will say whatever their audience wants to hear.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Six months ago we were still fighting to get this issue recognised as being more than a provincial football club seeking a ground improvement.

Today we have the Prime Minister totally understanding our frustration and saying that the law must be changed to make it easier for these major planning issues to be resolved.

We've come a long way, baby.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

THE FFA TEAM DESERVE A LOT OF APPLAUSE FOR THEIR EFFORTS!!

IMHO Falmer should get a seat with the name FFA TEAM!!
:clap2:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
thats fuckin great news! if he feels like that, im sure prescott will follow his thoughts! i think its all finally coming together! and he even mentioned how slow it was too :clap:

Falmer by xmas?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Some people on here do my head in.

You f***ing people whining and telling us to be more realistic, take this with a pinch of salt, he's a politician what do you expect etc. ................. f*** OFF!!

This is a great bit of news, no it's not a yes, because obviously he couldn't say that, be he is aware of our plight and the farcical situation we find ourselves in. What more do you want? Him to stump up £80m and start digging the foundations himself? Enjoy this for what it is, a small step in a very long process, but a step closer nevertheless.

pigin stripes

Jul 18, 2003
Hove
Looks like my :angry: from mt Sgt was worth it as I handed TB his Falmer flyer......... wots the worse that could happen :shootself Best newes In ages.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
lost in london said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Some people on here do my head in.

You f***ing people whining and telling us to be more realistic, take this with a pinch of salt, he's a politician what do you expect etc. ................. f*** OFF!!

This is a great bit of news, no it's not a yes, because obviously he couldn't say that, be he is aware of our plight and the farcical situation we find ourselves in. What more do you want? Him to stump up £80m and start digging the foundations himself? Enjoy this for what it is, a small step in a very long process, but a step closer nevertheless.

Right now with the Iraq hostage situation and his heart op I'm sure Blair couldn't give a flying f*** about Falmer, but if you want to dream on that's up to you.

I take the point that it's about time somebody threw us a frickin' bone re. the Falmer situation, but I want something concrete here, not empty platitudes that are expedient because New Labour happen to be holding their conference in Brighton.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
Blair also talked about Falmer on Southern FM:
www.southernfm.com/Article.asp?id=42255

quote from that link:

"Breakfast Queen Nicky, made sure Tony was made aware of her favourite football team, Brighton and Hove Albion's plight and insisted that he help with the continuing planning saga for a new football stadium. You'll know who to thank if the planned stadium materialise"

WHAT? Yeah fair enough she plugged our plight to the PM but thank her for getting the WHOLE thing?! f*** Southern FM you bunch of wankers :angry:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think there's is enough ammunition here for every Albion fan to know that if we don't get Falmer this Labour party are a bunch of hypocritical liars who deserve to be kicked out of office and preferably kicked off the planet..... oops what am I saying, I just described all politicians:lolol:

Still FALMER OR WE VOTE SOEMONE ELSE!!!! (can't say 'T*ry'.. sticks in my craw.

Pavilionaire said:
Right now with the Iraq hostage situation and his heart op I'm sure Blair couldn't give a flying f*** about Falmer, but if you want to dream on that's up to you.

I take the point that it's about time somebody threw us a frickin' bone re. the Falmer situation, but I want something concrete here, not empty platitudes that are expedient because New Labour happen to be holding their conference in Brighton.

Especially for you, here is a picture of a half empty glass.

glass.jpg

And, for the rest of us, here is a picture of a half full glass.
glass.jpg

:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here