Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News: statement from PM on Falmer!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd like to feel enthusiastic but the man is so smarmy and insincere that I struggle to see any good in him. Does he have any input or should we just be grateful that he is acknowledging us?

Last edited:

Icy Gull said:
I'd like to feel enthusiastic but the man is so smarmy and insincere that I struggle to see any good in him. Does he have any input or should we just be grateful that he is acknowledging us?
He may not have any direct input into the decision.

But Downing Street is obviously awash with advisors, rushing around saying "That Albion Stadium thing is important and it looks like it could be a vote winner if John says YES".

Last edited:

Blair's comments are fantastic news. It confirms all our suppositions that New Labour have taken a decision to help us. The pro-Falmer campaign has been brilliantly executed, maximum lobbying pressure inside the government through the local New Labour mafia, a superb and imaginative public campaign run by the Falmer For All stalwarts, and last and not least, a great job by Dick Knight and Martin Perry to marshall all the arguments in favour of Falmer that have got us now near success on a very tricky wicket that established planning law has provided.

I've actually been very confident ever since Prescott overturned the inspectors, but this is another grain of confirmation that we've won the arguments where it counts.

Rambo said:
Its nice that he has acknowleged all the hard work. Its a shame his opinion means JACK SHIT.

That's legally the case. But I would venture, not in reality. The ODPM will make its final decision based on what Prescott's political advisers make of the inspector's final report. These New Labour hacks working in the ODPM take very seriously what their glorious leader says, believe me.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Rambo said:
Its nice that he has acknowleged all the hard work. Its a shame his opinion means JACK SHIT.

Like him or not, he is the Prime Minister. And as such, I'd say that his opinion can never really not matter at all when government is taking any decision.

I just don't see how much more positive on the subject people could possibly have expected him to sound...even if he'd been handed a pro-Falmer card and never said a word on the matter to the BBC and the Argus, it would be a massive coup. The fact that he's now sounding even more like one of us on the subject is a remarkable turn of events, IMHO.

It looks like it's been a great week for the campaign. A massive well done to all involved.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
This is excellent news - I'm so impressed with everyones hard work that has kept our homelessness in the news. My opinion of Blair is increasing too (sorry for those who dislike him).

While a small part of me wonders if we'd be getting these comments if there weren't an election soon, it does seem as though the Labour Party fully understand the issues here, and are as much on our side as they can be without being open to any accusations of bias.

It's a good job the LP conference was in Brighton this year. Once the stadium has been granted, the LP know they're going be to popular here whenever they want to have another conference!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I believe they're back next year, anyway. But I could be wrong... The Tories are here in March next year for their Spring Conference. It's their first time in Brighton for about 10 years, since Pat Hawkes opened her trap.

Could be interesting.

Last edited:

Let's get Pat Hawkes out of retirement fecking quick then.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
These are really positive comments and clearly Blair knows quite a bit about it. I am really really hopeful.

A very good word too for BBC South East (that's the one broadcast from Kent, not Southampton) whose coverage of the whole Falmer issue has been unsurpassed. They were the ones asking Prescott the questions on Monday and dedicated half a programme live from Brighton on the day the public enquiry decision was announced (not to mention a whole play off half hour special from Brighton). Keep up the excellent work.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Initial reaction YES! Nice words from Blair (NEVER thought I'd say that)

Overall he could be saying it to keep us voting Labour though but overall at least our message is getting through.

Promotion years
Mill Stad Final
Championship Football
Labour Party Conference in Brighton

Those four things could'nt of come at a better time for this club in terms of advertising our plight to the Nation.
If we were still in Div3 and the Conference was in Blackpool we could've lost Falmer by now In My Opinion, but those 4 lovely things have helped us in a MASSIVE way and we should'nt take them for granted!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here