Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boycott Canadian products - grisly reading beware

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Canada has once again shown itself to be completely out of touch with 99% of decent humanity by allowing the butchering of 1 000 000 seal pups over the next 3 years and 350 000 over 3 days this week.

They use the bogus excuse of the seals deplete the fish stocks which is not held up by the scientific facts, but we all know its about the fur/pelts. The sealer gets £ 27 a pelt as they go about the merry business. Give me a room full of sealers and a pick axe and knife please.

Read some of the reports by a Daily Mail journalist below.

" Three weeks ago, I witnessed for myself the start of the annual canadian baby seal slaughter. It was the most disturbing and gruesome story I have ever covered as a journalist and as a result I have vowed the continue exposing this mindless slaughter until it is banned for ever.

My first sight of the bloody harvest was from a helicopter circling 500 feet above the gulf of St Lawrence. The ice was stained bright red as score of men dragged bleeding baby seals across it to dump on the huge piles of dripping carcasses littering the arctic wilderness.

Once we had landed the canadian sealer , there were at least 12000 put on a show for us. One calmly walked over to a baby seal and belted her with his iron tipped club.

Her jaw shattered instantly and the sound of splintering bone filled the air. The sealer then flipped the baby over onto ther back and sliced open her throat. She screamed and wriggled furiously, still fully conscious and utterley terrified.

The sealer hit her again and began cutting open her stomach. Her screams grew louder. The sealer hit her a third time and I prayed that she was dead.

This was not unusual. I saw about 100 seals slaughtered in similar fashion. About half of them were skinned alive.

I cannot properly describe the revulsion I felt as I watched the skins being peeled off these beautiful and intelligent creatures as they struggled to escape. Most were only 2 weeks old. "

Danny Penman - The Daily Mail

Boycott Canadian products

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Juan - sorry to have wasted 30 seconds of you time reading that trivial post, go back to Eastenders mate.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I won't respond to that, there's no need !.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
No, you just carry on trying to put Canadians out of work (most of whom have never seen a seal, let alone killed one) based on an ignorant story in the Daily Mail. Thanks very much! Why don't you go and beat someone up for eating a beefburger and wearing leather shoes?

Juan Albion

No, you just carry on trying to put Canadians out of work (most of whom have never seen a seal, let alone killed one) based on an ignorant story in the Daily Mail. Thanks very much! Why don't you go and beat someone up for eating a beefburger and wearing leather shoes?

I am not sure boycotting Canadian products is the answer, but having read your first post Gareth..... shit.. that is ....well, I am struggling to find words really. :nono:
Probably not helped by the fact that I just watched The Simpsons where Lisa becomes a vegetarian.

Last edited:

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
We should Boycott Spain too because of the sick way they treat animals ,bulls, dogs etc.
And we should boycott Australia for giving us Rolf Harris, Neighbours and Prisoner cell block H!:jester:

Attachments

• scrum_line_up.gif
    scrum_line_up.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 245

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
every day hundreds (probably thousands at the weekend) of people go and stand around in a stream or river, catch trout/salmon then club them on the head. Whats the difference? Baby seals are cute, trout are not.

Juan Albion

As I just put in a pm to someone else:

It sounds like you are trying to apply white European standards to a culture that doesn't think the same. Has it occurred to you that the people who would kill seals in this way are Innuit (eskimos to some) who have a completely different culture to what you are used to? Get over it. Why should they change their traditions to keep some pampered ignorant Daily Mail hack satisfied that everything is being done the 'British' way? Native peoples the world over lack the qualms that we do when it comes to animal slaughtering.

Personally I hate the fact they do it at all, let alone that way, but who am I to dictate to them? Smacks of simplistic imperialism to me.

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
Just like the Hutus of Rwanda have a different culture. And that's why we stood back and let them murder 800,000 Tutsi's!!!!
But hey, what do we know, maybe this behavior is OK

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I accept the need to cull the seal population in Canada but I think there must be more humane ways of doing it.

ziggy said:
We should Boycott Spain too because of the sick way they treat animals ,bulls, dogs etc.
And we should boycott Australia for giving us Rolf Harris, Neighbours and Prisoner cell block H!:jester:
OI!! Nothing wrong with Prisoner Cell Block H. Class program!! When I was at uni I used to come home after working in the nightclub, get some dinner, then watch the episode I'd recorded earlier in the week. Finished watching that, then go to bed while the sun was rising, just in time to miss my 9am lecture! :dunce: Marvellous scenes :clap2:

Or perhaps I need help?

Last edited:

It is odd that papers like the Daily Mail regard cruelty to animals as a more emotive subject for purple prose than cruelty to Iraqis by Americans, given the random slaughter that has taken place in the Sunni Triangle over the past week.

I agree with Juan that it is hard to come up with a morally consistent position on animal cruelty. But that perhaps lets too many people off the hook and should not be used as an argument for doing nothing.

Gareth is right to raise this as a subject for concern, I would be in favour of listening to animal rights' groups and carrying out targeted boycotts of products that are produced through extreme animal cruelty, boycotting the products produced from these seals would seem to be a good candidate for such action.

It's a moral maze but I think you do confer greater rights on those mammals higher up the evolutionary chain, whether cute or not. You have to start somewhere.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have absolutely no problem with the Canadians culling seals. Left unchecked they DO eat the fish and then their numbers decline naturally - because they starve to death. The mothers can't make milk to feed the pups and so the poor little furry things suffer a slow agonising death unable to comprehend why they can't get nourishment from their dying mothers. Not that you'd read about that in the Daily Mail of course. And what is so wrong with selling the pelts? Surely it's better to use 100% organic material from a renewable resource for clothes etc as opposed to plundering the world's mineral resources?

I know what it is though, it's the red blood on the white snow, makes a lovely dramatic photograph. And that is the Canadian's ONLY problem, the fact that people have become so divorced from the reality of meat production that to be reminded that a pack of bacon was once a living mammal is a shocking experience, if all the killing was done in sealed abbatoirs with the blood flushed away quickly nobody would be complaining. Any meat-eater who objects to seal-culling is a hypocrite of the highest order

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Well siad Brovian. I can vouch for the fact that in any case Canada is far more in touch than most with cruelty issues in any context.

Should we ban Bristish goods as we still have fox hunting ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here