Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bose

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
This thread is probably going to sink into oblivion but just how damn good are Bose speakers and headphones? I live in a nation built on the sales of home electrical appliances but have yet to find a better brand than Bose when it comes to sound quality. Is there is a better brand? Your thoughts please

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Just to save your thread from falling into well deserved oblivion....

Seriously, bought a Bose Lifestyle 38 a couple of years ago and then bought some headphones later. I love the stuff, even tho it is a little pricey!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have a pair of fairly old Wharfedale Coleridge speakers, from a time when they still made them in Yorkshire (I am guessing that they don't anymore), they sound as sweet now as the day I bought them. I can't say that I know much about Bose speakers, there is no doubt that they are well made, but the only time I listened to music through one of their systems I found it a little clinical...probably best suited to a pub/club environment but not the home.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm a big fan. Typically for American design, Bose stuff doesn't always look that great, but the bass response is just mental, esp. for such little units.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have Bose in my car, and they work well as they really punch the sound out over the normal road noise etc. As a brand they were all about image, nowadays I think they have improved their quality, so now when you listen to their kit it sounds very room filling. No substiture for a top spec amplifier and proper loudspeakers though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i have been led to believe there is a great deal of hype with Bose stuff. good, but not the best and marginally over priced. i suspect the truth is in between. studio standard is Mission and JBL i believe.

when looking into mp3 player ear phones recently, i dont even recall Bose mentioned, Sennheiser, Denon and Shure where were to spend your money.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Headphones over expensive IMHO

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
studio standard is Mission and JBL i believe.
QUOTE]

B&W are highly rated too, and made locally as well. George Lucas has B&W in his studios tied in with his THX sound standards. Then again, his amplifiers are probalby Mark Levinsons costing the same amount as a decent car powering each one of them.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Find my Bose noise cancelling headphones great when on a flight, can't hear the irritating ***** around me:bla::bla::bla:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
i have been led to believe there is a great deal of hype with Bose stuff. good, but not the best and marginally over priced. i suspect the truth is in between. studio standard is Mission and JBL i believe.

Quite - when looking for 5:1 surround sound stuff a few years ago, Bose reviews were pretty negative - think this was based on the bass being 'Passive' not 'Active'..

So i bought Polk Audio, and been very happy ever since.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
B&W in this house, whilst I quite like Bose - frankly for the difference in price and the fact that these days we get about 10 nano seconds to ourselves (our music these days is always in the background and mixed in with the Wiggles, Thomas and Lightning McQueen) to crank up the music in the music room and really listen, the price isn't worth it.

One day funds will again be provided so that as old gits we can enjoy our vinyl in the method we are accustomed to...VALVE AMPS! :laugh:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
over priced and overated IMO

I haven't bought any hi-fi stuff for quite a while but they never hit the radar whenever I did

AE109 floorstanders in the music room, still sound great for Rock type stuff 10-15 years or more on . . . rega planar 3 turntable is better than anything south of a grand . . . A&R Cambridge power and pre amps . . .until I go valve!

B&W are good speakers generally, local company as well, |I still have my grandfathers set in the workshop, circa 1974 . . . basstastic elliptical cones!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

I haven't bought any hi-fi stuff for quite a while but they never hit the radar whenever I did

AE109 floorstanders in the music room, still sound great for Rock type stuff 10-15 years or more on . . . rega planar 3 turntable is better than anything south of a grand . . . A&R Cambridge power and pre amps . . .until I go valve!

B&W are good speakers generally, local company as well, |I still have my grandfathers set in the workshop, circa 1974 . . . basstastic elliptical cones!

eh - we have ae109 floor stands in the music room (which get used every turn of the century) and B&W's in the living room (for such delights as Thomas or the Wiggles) or do you have another house you live in too? :blush:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

I haven't bought anything vaguely hi-fi for almost ten years, but then I haven't really needed to.

The Warfedale speakers mentioned above were a bit of a no brainer when I bought them (approaching 20 years ago), they sounded absolutely amazing and I picked them up for a fraction of what they should have cost...thanks to a healthy price reduction and tax free status...I hate to think what it would cost to replace them today with something of comparable quality.

When it came to amps my original wish was for a Quad pre and power combination...but alas that was a bit out of my price range, so I went for Cyrus 2 and PSX instead, which performed very well, upgrading both for Cyrus 7 and CD player in 2000...again, not cheap, but definitely worth the investment.

I think the best advice to give anyone thinking of buying a new hi-fi is to take a few of your cds with you when you go out to buy one, listen to some of your favourite tracks and just go for what makes it sound the best. There is a fair chance that you will notice any improvement on what you are currently listening to them on. Someone said to me that if your budget is a bit tight then it is better to invest in the best cd or record player that you can afford...then go for a slightly cheaper amp...as whatever you lose right at the start, that is to say when you are taking the signal off the disc, can't be put back later. I thought that was pretty sound advice, if you will pardon the pun!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got some of them Bose 'noise cancelling' headphones for my iPod which are damn fine especially when flying. They also come with a Tommy Elphick endorsement. He was often seen wearing the same pair in last season's programme.

Cannot speak for their speakers though...I've got some rather tall Kefs which do the business.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think that BOSE are the Apple of the hifi world. Style over real substance. You can get much better at a lower price if you know what you are looking for.

In terms of Headphones you cant beat Sennheiser.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think that BOSE are the Apple of the hifi world. Style over real substance. You can get much better at a lower price if you know what you are looking for.

In terms of Headphones you cant beat Sennheiser.

What does that make me with an iPod with Bose 'phones then?

Seriously, beyond my headset I know little about Bose but Apple is NOT style over substance. I think some people confuse great design and user friendliness with 'style'.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here