Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boro fans attcked in Rome -3 stabbed

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
English fans are stabbed in Rome

Three Middlesbrough fans have been stabbed during violence ahead of the club's Uefa Cup clash in Rome, police have confirmed.

Cleveland Police said the attack came from an "organised gang of Italian thugs" who targeted two bars where the English fans were drinking.

The violence happened late on Tuesday as about 200 English fans gathered in Rome's central Campo de Fiori area.

In all 13 fans were hurt, although none of the injuries is life-threatening.

A 39-year-old man underwent surgery in Rome overnight and he remains in hospital for observation.

Lighted flare

Italian Police with batons were brought in to break up the violence.

A spokesman for Cleveland Police, who have officers with Boro fans in Italy, said at one point a lighted flare was thrown into a bar where Middlesbrough fans were drinking.

Tables and chairs were thrown as the violence worsened.

The spokesman said the injured supporters were aged between 16 and 55.

It is thought a group of extremist Roma fans, known as Ultras, wearing scarves were involved. Reports said they were led by a man wielding an axe. f***!

The club's chief executive Keith Lamb said: "Some Boro fans were drinking in a bar and were attacked by some Roma fans.

"A number of Boro fans have been injured - a small number - and taken to hospital and received medical treatment. "

Cleveland Police appealed for calm in the run up to the second leg of the cup tie, in which Boro lead 1-0.

Last year a Middlesbrough fan died after being stabbed outside a bar in Amsterdam, after travelling to watch his team in the Uefa Cup.

Brendan O'Connor, 36, of London, had joined friends to travel to Holland where his team were playing Dutch side AZ Alkmaar in November.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I should imagine UEFA are going to come down hard on the Italians after so many years of extreme violence and rascism from the various "Ultras". I expect the Italian FA will be faced with a fine of about £2.50.

Meanwhile, they'll warn us that if we incite any more violence by being English again we'll get thrown out of the World Cup.

:rolleyes:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
cowards ! getting tooled up

if we had done this we'd be out of Europe.

Knowing Boro fans , I'm sure it wasn't all one way however !

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
How can -3 get stabbed? Does this mean that a load of Ultras ran into a bar full of Boro fans and pulled knives/axes out of three of them?

???

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
Why?

It seems that the Italians started it. Not many Italians generally follow the national side.

Very good point. The Italians dont really bring violence on their travels as much, certainly not with the national team and less with the club sides.

The trouble is, they need to sort their own back yard out. Ironically, I have been to Italian games and felt generally safer than in England, because of the segregation from the ultras, but the ultras are a law unto themselves.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
enigma said:
Very good point. The Italians dont really bring violence on their travels as much, certainly not with the national team and less with the club sides.

The trouble is, they need to sort their own back yard out. Ironically, I have been to Italian games and felt generally safer than in England, because of the segregation from the ultras, but the ultras are a law unto themselves.

Such is their power that many of the Ultra groups hold power over their clubs, forcing their hand in transfer deals, complimentary tickets etc.

As for the national side, because the Ultras can't set aside their loathing of Ultra's from other clubs they don't unite behind the national team - One example being Italia 90 when Napoli fans refused to support the national side and supported (their hero) Maradona and Argentina instead.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
How can -3 get stabbed? Does this mean that a load of Ultras ran into a bar full of Boro fans and pulled knives/axes out of three of them?

???

Cor, that's funny.

E

enigma

They do wield a lot of power. The trouble is, the government havent really put in measures to stop the Ultras either. In fairness to the Ultras as well, they do get treated like absolute shit by the police in Italy as well. The police there are pretty poor.

I would say with the national team, a lot of it stems from Italy not being a particularly patriotic country in the first place. It only unified in the 1800s.

In addition to that, the fact that most Ultras ends are left wing or right wing means even more reasons for division when it comes to the national team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 31, 2005
Abu Dhabi, UAE
On the same day my 2 year old son got into a scrap with the son of a Middlesborough fan at Nursery (they usually scrap over who was playing with which toy first but apparently yesterday things got a bit heated and they had to go in the naughty room for a time out)

and he was wearing his Albion Mayo 3 shirt :clap:

My wife now thinks that he turns into a mini-hoolie everytime he wears it. Great

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
rome in 1998 with England was like Millwall in the 1980ies.

Police turn a blind eye out there, very right wing too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here